A. William Clark
B. Meriwether Lewis
C. the Lewis and Clark Expedition
D. the Louisiana Purchase
1. To lead the exploration of the Louisiana Purchase, President Jefferson chose a young army officer named ___.
2. ___ cost the United States $15 million, but it also doubled the size of the nation.
3. ___ was a big help to the Lewis and Clark Expedition in dealing with the Native American peoples the group encountered because she could speak the Shoshone language.
4. ___ provided information about places previously unknown to Americans and proved conclusively that an all-water route across the continent did not exist.
5. The talents that ___ brought to exploring the Louisiana Purchase included skill as an artist and mapmaker and natural abilities as a leader.
(More questions on next page)
B. Missouri River
6. The Lewis and Clark Expedition started from St. Louis and traveled all the way to ___, the goal of trip.
7. The explorers started out on the ___.
8. The explorers spent the first winter with the ___ tribe.
9. On the final stretch of the trip west, they traveled on the ___ .
10. At the end of their trip west, they built a fort named ___.