Making noise as an unconscious creation /
Noise as a vector of expression
Framing the definition of “expression”
Having an instant output
Possibility to create outside a given frame, with the less constraints possible
Theoretical basis of the project
- Less knowledge possible
- Most primal and spontaneous vector of expression
- Music therapy basis ?
- Breath is the fundamental component of yoga, noise could be the fundamental component of spontaneous creativity
- Relationship to the Ohm
- How to turn it as spontaneous as possible ?
- Are those explorations meant to be shared ?
- Leaving the possibilities to go from noise to tonal music wide open (even though it’s absolutely not the point to introduce people to playing music, it’s quite the opposite)
- Stress the body + mind experience
- Even language can be difficult to master
- How can the ability to make noise can be the most human language ?
- Art and language are extremely defined by cultures, noise is universal
- Noise music usually express violence, hate and sadness, but since this experiment’s goal is to free yourself it has to be able to generate and conform to any kind of feelings and states of mind
- This experiment could ultimately lead to a recognized new way of expression, but it’s not its point since this would introduce some virtuosity
- Is the spontaneous, non biased object a futurist idea ?
- What if the futurists/fascists were right ?
- Since the 20th century, noise is the attribute of machines, is that normal ?
- Techno music (which is the sound of the machines) became a popular way to free/enjoy yourself. Why ? In what extent that genre is related to freedom ? To noise ? To machines ? To the human body ? To the human mind ?
- Are we machines yet ?
Technical basis of the project
- Less money possible (the experience is meant to be spontaneous, buying an expensive piece of gear is everything but spontaneous)
- Same speaker as Teenage Engineering pocket synth
- Bulletproof prototypes
- Digital and analog exploration/confrontation/collaboration
- Explore the beauty of error
- How to turn it as spontaneous as possible ?
- How to streamline the experience in order for people to rediscover the joy of making things themselves ?
- How to create objects than can be completely desacralised ? How to create an object than can be beaten, hugged, kissed and carelessly manipulated ?
- How to make an object that is not related to any bias ?
- Fur is for petting, metal is for science, rock and wood are nature, plastic is a past vision of future, what is neutral ?
- White is cold, black is grief, grey is boring, gold is precious, what is neutral ?
- Is the spontaneous, non biased object a futuristic idea ?
- Raising awareness on the beauty of DIY
- Raising awareness on the spontaneous creation
- How can people reconnect to self centered acts ?
- What can be easier than blowing raspberries ?
- Touch as first interaction
- Involve body and mind in a knowledge-less action
- How to explore new feelings of human senses ? (Quadrophonic sound, pain, meditation)
- Is touch more free than your mouth ? Is banging a surface simpler than shouting ? Is petting an object simpler than singing a soothing melody ?
- How people connect with objects ?
- What part of our actions are dictated by the unexpressed codes of the world we live in ?
- Is it possible to be a caveman again ?
- Is being a caveman a solutions to some of our problems ?
- Test with autistic people
- Test with mentally handicapped people
- Test with yogi
- Test with noise musicians
- Test the impact (good and bad) of noise on people
- Test with children
- How people engage with the primal act of screaming ?
- Try to bring people in different emotional states to scream (where do people feel the most comfortable to scream ? do i have to leave them alone ? can they scream next to me ? can they scream in my ear ? can i scream with them ?)
- Test as a collaborative experience
- This project is designed to be an experience with yourself, what will be the listener role if he has one ?
- Compared observations on children, grown ups, musicians playing with kids instruments
- Observations on noise musicians before / during / after the show
- How noise affect mute and deaf people ?
- Noise is as global as it can be because it’s not dictated by conventions, I would test it on extra terrestrials if possible
- Can one’s reflect his emotions through noise ?
- What is a happy noise ?
- What is the visual feedback ? Is there a visual feedback ?
- How to reject all musical/synthesizer aesthetic codes to lower the virtuosity pressure on the creator ?
- How to escape the world of music centered products to enter the world of humans centered products ?
After the project
- Open source workshop
- How can those explorations be the foundations of products ? How can they go from discovery to therapy to art to professional studio ?
- How to involve big brands in the process ? After the process ?
- How to go further than Little Bits ?
- How to be cheaper than Little Bits ?
- How to fetch data from those different explorations ?
- How can they become useful for a greater good ?
- How can others be influenced by those experiences ?
- Hack the project
- Hack the process
Big Bang Lab