Mixed Reality Market Exploration
Weekly VRAR Update ✧ Issue № 1
June 30, 2017
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY / COMMENTS
- Exploration began yesterday, so progress is limited. “Under Construction”
- Provided a summary of corporate resources for input/feedback.
ACTIVITIES & PROGRESS THIS WEEK
- Provided a draft summary of “existing resources & services” for review & edits via email to assure our exploration focuses on opportunities [outside of markets already covered] that leverage existing corporate strengths as much as possible.
- Instituted this “Weekly VRAR Update” online companion to our confidential weekly email update. This provides a convenient aggregation of general market discovery with links to articles (“FYI” below), informative videos & upcoming events/breaking news.
EVENTS & BREAKING NEWS 🔎
- Upload.io—partnering with Nvidia, HP & Oculus—is offering a 10-week "Master VR Creator" class in Los Angeles July 19th through August 29th. They also hold events in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- AR-powered “C-Thru” helmet from Qwake Technologies helps firefighters see through smoke, work faster.
VIDEO RECOMMENDATIONS 📺
- Introduction to Microsoft HoloLens & Mixed Reality (2:01).
- Architectural collaboration case demo; HoloLens at Trimble (2:36).
- Medical/Education enterprise case/demo; HoloLens at University College (1:35).
- PC World delineates Windows MR vs. HoloLens experiences (3:07).
FYI: ARTICLES & REFERENCES
- Google “VR Services” in Google Play (for use with Daydream & Cardboard apps) has highly polarized ratings with over five million downloads.
- Oculus Rift’s co-founder conducts first interview (May 10, 2017) on VR market after leaving Facebook, supports Revive (a hack that allows Vive users to play Rift-exclusive games).
- Apple is bringing more VR capabilities to the Mac. New iMac Pro will have power to support VR. MacOS High Sierra update (fall 2017) will support VR, Vive, Unity & Unreal game engines.
- Apple launched ARKit for iOS and a $599 VR development kit to facilitate building VR apps on MacOS, but GPU support may not be available to consumers until spring of 2018!
- For cities that are 3D enabled in Apple Maps, a flyover VRAR feature will be available in Apple's iOS 11 expected to release this fall.
- Why AR will be the next revolution in retail, February 27, 2017 article in Strategy+Business.
Note: Limited work/access on Tuesday July 4th in honor of national holiday.