OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group

Agenda & Minutes

  Tuesday 28th October 2014, 20:15 - 20:52 UTC

final

Present: Oliver Kühn, Michael Collinson, Paul Norman, Simon Poole (joined mid-way)

Apologies:

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meeting

Feb 25 Note: This editable minute link is for LWG members only. A public version is normally available at http://www.osmfoundation.org

Proposed:

Seconded:

(Postponed. Only Mike was at the last meeting and present at the as the start of this meeting. We will handle this via circular email resolution.)

  • 2013-08- 27 Mike/Paul DMCA procedure doc:
  • Finalise for for board by 2013-10-29
  • - Generate templates for various stages (DROPPED)
  • Mike - MOVE TO GET THIS PUBLISHED
  • 2013-08- 27 Mike - Facebook logins: Ask legal counsel whether there is any general risk to the project and its data if Facebook feel we do not match their policies. DONE - waiting on technical
  • 2013-10-22 Mike - Legal counsel ... under DMCA we really *must* restore data if a contributor files a counter notice? No discretion despite CTs saying that we do?  NO LONGER RELEVANT
  • 2013-11-05 Mike Respond to Wikimapia and update complainants of what has happened. STILL OPEN?
  • 2014-10-28 Paul Draft a public call for associate members

3. Finalise today’s agenda

4. Review: Immediate issues LWG needs to look at

(Simon Poole joined during discussion of this item)

  • Associate LWG members
  • Put out a public call
  • Scope out what associate members can do (voting, etc)
  • Moving the next wave of Community Guidelines along. Particularly helping users who are providing data services in a mixed data environment.
  • CC (BY) 4.0 and license compatibility
  • Creative Commons are moving on this issue, we need to respond in kind
  • Generally figuring out what approach we will take
  • Triggering the compatibility clause in ODbL
  • Specific potential issue: moral rights a sticky issue? (ODbL covers, CC does not (?)) .. and how far are they applicable to data anyway.

5.  Review: Board requests

The board had asked the LWG to follow up on the issue of insufficient attribution by larger OSM based service providers.

As the item is now old and some specific situations have improved, we decided to close this item out.

6. Review: CC 4.0 and license compatibility

See 4

7.  Review: Community Guidelines

Completed:

xxx  Mike to add xxx

Next focus:

xxx  Mike to add xxx

8. AOB

Next Meeting:

Tuesday18th November at 20:00 GMT/UTC