Here’s a little something about the attractions that will be at West India Dock compiled by Jane Harman.
- Docklands Museum will be holding a paper-based family-centred activity to depict parades, processions and barges on the River
- Thames Model Sailing Barges will be on display and also sailing around the dock
- Chaffcutter Books, have an expanding range of maritime heritage nautical books planned to cover many aspects of seafaring, coastal and deep sea sail, steamships and fishing vessels; and those who crewed in them, specialising in Thames sailing barge history.
- Society for Sailing Barge Research; https://www.sailingbargeresearch.org.uk
Founded in 1963 as the Society for Spritsail Barge Research by a band of of enthusiasts concerned that the rapid decline and possible extinction of these splendid and historically significant craft would pass largely unrecorded. From the thousands of Thames sailing barges once plying the rivers and estuaries of the south east and beyond, today just a handful survive in active commission with charter parties and business guests replacing the grain, cement, brick and coal cargoes of yesteryear.
- Navistitch - Sam is a nautical artist inspired by the sea: she hand stitches onto original navigation charts;
- Rachel Richards Ropework - items handcrafted from rope. Rachel will be demonstrating her skills; come and have a go!
- Shipwrights, Riggers and Sailmakers will be demonstrating their skills on the barges and alongside the quay
- Jimmy Lawrence, our famous trading barge skipper will tell tales of life onboard in the days when the barges worked the rivers
- Sam and Andy from Lady Daphne will be holding a Prize Draw for a trip for 2 onboard Lady Daphne in 2018; all proceeds will go to the parade
- Toby and Linda will be serving tea and delicious cakes onboard Sailing Barge Ironsides; find her alongside the quay Odori and Sapori by Romeo will be making fresh pizza and Italian Cuisine throughout the weekend
- Association Of Bargemen will have a presence along with the Sailing Barge Association, Cambria Trust, Sea Change Sailing Trust, East Coast Sailing Trust and the Thames Sailing Barge Trust
- The event is associated with the Totally Thames Festival, celebrating the River Thames throughout the month of September.
- National Historic Ships and the Cutty Sark are also supporting this event
Contact Jane for further information