Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, 2/4, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Upcoming JHPDA Committee Meetings
Come and be a part of the organizing committee for the next social event on/off campus!
When: Thursday, 2/5, 9:30am
Where: Atwater’s Cafe
Contact: Justin La Favor
Come learn about the initiatives of the Communications Committee. Open to all!
When: Tuesday, 2/10, 11:00am
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind Cafe
Contact: Cynthia Zhang
Future JHPDA Events
2nd Annual Postdoc Retreat
Registration & abstract submission
When: Tuesday, April 7th, 2015
Where: Turner Concourse meeting space, JHMI East Baltimore Campus
More details: Visit our retreat website!
Registration & abstract submission is now open! Some sessions are limited capacity so register here today! Open to ALL Hopkins postdocs!
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Jeff Norris
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Cynthia Zhang
International: Thibault Mauxion and Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Yuejin Li
Socials: Justin La Favor
**NEW** Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- **NEW** Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
International Postdocs: Tax Help
The JHU Tax Office provides Nonresident Aliens tax preparation assistance through a software program called Glacier. For more information about the program, and taxes in general, visit the JHU Tax Office website or the Tax Office’s FAQs.
Insect Muscle 2015: Biomedical and Biophysical Perspectives
Insect muscle symposium is scheduled for the day before the Biophysical Society Annual Meeting in February. The program features short talks from Hopkins faculty involved in insect research as well as visiting speakers.
When: Friday, 2/06, 4:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Tilghman Auditorium; pizza and drinks provided
More details here
To attend, contact Anna Blice Baum
RSVP by 2/02 at 5:00 pm
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
IN BRIEF: Brief survey - responses needed!
The newly formed Diversity Postdoctoral Alliance Committee of the JHPDA will focus on topics of interest and concern to individuals from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in science. As a means to increase diversity in science, the Diversity Postdoctoral Alliance Committee will focus on:
- racial/ethnic minorities,
- individuals with disabilities,
- individuals from underprivileged backgrounds,
- LGBTQIA individuals.
The committee needs your input to identify priority areas. Everyone’s participation is welcomed! Please find a detailed description of DPAC here and complete this brief survey. If interested in joining this new committee, contact Stan Andrisse or Dionna Williams.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Patterson Park Ice Skating, Sat., Feb. 21st
The JHPDA Socials Committee invites you to join fellow postdocs for ice skating at the Patterson Park ice skating rink, followed by drinks and/or dinner at Smaltimore! Meet at the ice rink for skating, then proceed to Smaltimore afterwards.
When: Saturday, 2/21, 3:00 - 5:00 pm
Where: Patterson Park ice skating rink, 200 South Linwood Avenue
Cost: General Admission is $4, skate rental is $2
Questions? Contact Mari
Look for the yellow JHPDA balloon to find fellow postdocs at the rink!
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Spring dates!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates: Mar. 11th, Apr. 15th, May. 13th, Jun. 10th, 2015
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Additional Professional Development Events
Welch Library Courses
A list of upcoming Welch Library Courses can be found here.
- “Best practices for research data management and sharing” - 2/26, 11:00 am; register here
- “Data sources for health and medical research” - 3/10, 11:00 am; register here
Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy Events and Opportunities
- “All about assessment” by Dr. Matthew Roller - covers the incorporation of various dimensions of assessment; includes a light supper and drinks; to RSVP, emai firstname.lastname@example.org
Call for instructors for “HEART,” Hopkins Engineering Applications & Research Tutorials - paid teaching opportunity in the fall 2015; for an application form or questions, contact email@example.com
- “Big data, big opportunities” by Tom Glass, PhD: 2/5, 4:30 - 6:00 pm; details here, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Secrets to finding a great job in Global Health” with JHU alumna Laura Wigglesworth - 2/9, 12:15, W403, School of Public Health building
- “Working at Abbvie: A Pharma Company with One Mission but Many Careers” - talk will focus on the role of MDs and PhDs in drug research and development: 2/17, 12:00 pm (lunch to follow); details and RSVP
- EThOS at the British Library #ShareMyThesis Twitter competition (link; closes 2/9)
- Leaders of Tomorrow Summit: Mid-Atlantic cross-functional and inter-generational biotech leadership Summit (details; application due 2/14)
- Register for the National Postdoctoral Association Annual Meeting in Baltimore! Now open; early registration due 2/13, final deadline 2/27, link)
- The Dan David Prize scholarship ($15K; closes 3/10, application; details about selected fields of interest)
- L’Oréal For Women in Science fellowship program: five $60,000 grants for women in STEM fields (due 3/20; details)
- Invitation To Leaders of Tomorrow summit. 3/31 (link)
- Alzheimer’s disease Pilot Project Funding available, $30,000 direct costs (due 4/24; details)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
- Association of Women in Science is recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship, Goucher College, Department of Chemistry (application)
SCIENCE & COMMUNITY OUTREACH EVENTS
- Volunteers needed for the middle school & high school statewide Maryland Science Olympiad (UMD College Park on 2/21, JHU on 4/11; see the flyer and website for more details)
- AAAS STEM Volunteer Program (link; contact email@example.com)
- Baltimore Green Works (volunteer)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Cellular and Molecular Shock Research at the Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases, University of Maryland, Baltimore (details)
- Assistant Director of Life Science Professional Development at UNC Chapel Hill (details)
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Biochemistry/Enzymology at the Lieber Institute for Brain Development (JHU affiliate; link; if interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Abbot laboratories: openings for Biomed/Molecular Biology, Virology Senior Scientist research positions: position1, position2, Principal scientist
- Predicine: biotech start-up company looking for potential employees in the Bay Area (details here)
- Technology Analyst (full-time) at JH Office of Technology Transfer; seeks PhD or Postdoc to help analyze & commercialize university-based technology (link)
- Career opportunities, recruiting and programs at Mckinsey: Insight Healthcare and MD contact programs (due 4/12/15)
- Opportunities for employment (full or part-time) at In silico medicine, located at Johns Hopkins University eastern campus (details here)
- Postdoctoral position to work on hiPSC-derived 3D models of retinal degenerative diseases in the lab of Dr. M. Valeria Canto-Soler (details here)
- Lead Clinical Research Associate (In-House), Hinckley, OH (link)
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Scientific Grants Manager (link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- Wicked the musical is coming to Baltimore in April, tickets here!
- “Love Songs of the Presidents”, Creative Alliance, Feb 16th (link)
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.