Beyond Duckybots: Encouraging Discovery
ASK DON’T TELL: Ask questions
- How would you…?
- Why is it (tipping over, stopping, etc.)?
- If they’re stuck… Leading questions:
- When you turn on the motor, what moves? (the propellor.. what does the propellor move… (air, water))
- Why is it tipping over?
Answer Questions with Experiments
- Let’s find out…
- What if we (added weight.., etc.).. Try it and see!
- Is it easier to push me over when I’m standing up or sitting down?
- Who doesn’t learn more when they are having fun?
- STEM toys are great, but don’t JUST follow directions!
- When that toy breaks… What can we make from this?
- Don’t limit it to STEM/Mechanical, Sciencey projects. If you can’t make something that works, make something fun, silly, artsy or creative. Example: glue some of those parts on Barbie…..
- Become a child… wonder, limit yourself to what they know.
- If you and your child enjoy competing, OK, but at their level! (well, you can be sillier!)