EPICS Version 4 Telecon, 19-Jan-2016

Earlier                                                                                                Later

Agenda

  1. Status and Action Items
  2. exampleCPP status and pull requests
  3. V3/V4 integration. In last week’s telecon it seemed some of us were not familiar with the plan Andrew presented at the APS face-to-face, to satisfy the objective of “merging” V3 and V4 in 2 stages. Last week we said we’d reprise Andrew’s plan this week. See [2][3].
  4. Dave’s proposed EPICS V4 training course

 

[0] http://epics-pvdata.sourceforge.net/home.html#usefulinfo

[1] APS Thurs f-2-f meeting minutes, See topic “Combining V3 with V4 — discussion (Andrew)” https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lO7X91LqaWQZulnZIu82lQkDoweXF8QwkpOZwtkvCXQ/pub

[2] Andrew’s presention on merging V3 and V4, see slides 8,9,10: http://epics-pvdata.sourceforge.net/files/talks/2015/ANJ-F2F-201511.pdf

[3] Dave’s email,  https://sourceforge.net/p/epics-pvdata/mailman/message/34776144/

Proposed training rubric,

http://epics-pvdata.sourceforge.net/informative/Training/epicsv4_training_agenda.html

Minutes

Present: AJ, DH, GW, MK, MS, MD, KK, SH

Scribe: KK

Chair: GW/AJ

  1. Status and Action Items

GW: [Action Item 2] progressing on obtaining funds for dbGroup @ SLAC; LCLS-II experimental side will use V4.

AJ: [4] done. [5, 6] no target date, yet.

MK: See pvDataCPP license file.

AJ: [7] ongoing. [8] ?.

GW: [10] mostly about finding the face-2-face minutes, having only user guides on lit. page.

DH: [12] working on wrapping up release. [13] contacted TK; based on what was used at FRIB EPICS meeting.

DH: Looking at pvaSrv bugs: 1st update of monitor may be missed; queue size potentially wrong.

  1. exampleCPP status and pull requests

GW: This is about RPC exampleCPP regressions. Outstanding pull requests should be discussed.

MK: Examples that rely on running EPICS base (V3) database and PV (V4) records are moved. Let’s merge so DH can continue.

DH: OK to merge, but what about git history when files are moved? Should MK merge to preserve file history?

AJ: Githib states “too many changes to show”

KK: Github website may not be able to show you all changes, but git command line would show all

MK: I’d Like DH to do the merge. Please merge and then do pull request

DH: I’d like also to resolve issue of folder called “test”. What is it? Genuinely test code, or more example?

MK: pvaClientTestCPP can go away since moving to exampleCPP

AJ: Prefer to have module that can be executed as integration test, not buried as example and then not automatically executed. CPP/Java integration test may be hard, but at least CPP tests.

MK: It’s a good example for writing a regression test. It’s an example, not integration test.

Subtopic: pvDatabaseCPP

MK: pvDatabaseCPP pull request that uses weak pointers instead of shared pointers. Would like to merge before more test/example reorg.

MD: Unclear about extent of changes, worried about exception handling.

MK: May need review, but that’s separate issue.

AJ: There are lock/unlock calls in the change. MD more suggestions?

MD: Need to add guards for locks or try/catch to assert unlock in case of exceptions.

AJ: Need more time.

MK: Go ahead and merge?

KK: Merge, since it’s master and not a release, then add bug report?

MD: Not easy to demonstrate, but pretty obvious from code review that there is a problem

GW: Want to avoid adding potential bugs to master

→ MK: OK, will revert weak pointer changes, then await MD’s suggestions. Will go ahead with example/regression test update.

  1. V3/V4 integration

AJ: Not ready to merge EPICS base & V4, but could provide a tar file that combines everything.

GW: Talked to Mark @ DLS. Their priority is a merge of V3/V4. First step is combined release. Second step - and much longer term, is a true integration of V3 and V4 (based on Andrew’s list given in the f-2-f).

MK: Having everything (asyn, synapps, …) all as one will not be manageable.

AJ: Correct. Won’t be able to do separate releases of base, pvData etc.

MK: So need to consider carefully what parts of V4 to merge into base

AJ: Yes: pvData, pvAccess, normative types.

GW: For ESS EPICS meeting, wanted to have combined download. Longer term plan would be to discuss/decide on what full integration means.

AJ: There are still incomplete prerequisites to merging: Resolve/remove Boost, ..

KK: Is the short term plan, of a combined download, still on track for the ESS meeting?

AJ: Appears likely, using base 3.15 and 4.5.0

GW: Need to start release planning earlier

AJ: 4.6 time table?

GW: Nothing at this time

MK: Start in March. 4.6 release should be before EPICS @ ESS

AJ: That might be 4.5.1

→ Have combined download at time of Lund meeting

  1. Dave’s proposed EPICS V4 training course

MK: Good list of topics. Emailed some comments. Concerned about time available for hands on. Requires people already have something pre-installed on their laptops.

DH: Certainly too much for ½ day. Would we have 1 full day?

KK: Suggest one day?

GW: Need to ask TK as organizer of meeting who also asked for this to train his coworkers.

AJ: Maybe that’s a designated set of training days, not part of the EPICS meeting.

AJ: Split Java and C++ sections? Or emphasize similarities and do both at once?

GW: Emphasize C++ and mention that Java is similar

AJ: [13] is done, by DH, not TK

GW: New action item on TK: How long? How many rooms, participants, ..?

Other

MD: Pending pull requests from last year. share libs

AJ: Module owners should review their pull requests, discuss, merge

Active Action Items

No

Action

Assignee

Target Date

Status

2

See who can fund dbGroup

GW

assigned

4

Create a release links file (docbuild/<version>/index.html) for previous versions

AJ

2016-01-10

completed

5

Write the one license file (using the MIT license in most cases)

AJ

assigned

6

Update your module to include copy of that one LICENSE. Update your headers to contain the header text.

ALL MODULE OWNERS

wait on 5

7

On your module pages, remove the current/previous links; replace “Working Draft” with version number of module, which has its own numbering scheme, like 5.0.2 for pvDataCPP. Eg “Version 5.0.2 18/Nov/2015”

ALL MODULE OWNERS

2016-01-31

assigned

8

Change the C++ bundling to add creation of a tarfile that includes Base 3.15.x

RL

2016-01-31

assigned

10

Simplify Literature page and home page to help users find novice oriented documentation.

GW

assigned

12

Usher the patch fix for buffer overflow through to release.

DH

2016-02-12

assigned

13

Prepare a list of course contents for ESS EPICS Meeting training, and practicalities

TK/DH

2016-01-26

assigned