The following steps need to be done just once:
1. Go to uploader/ folder, open Settings.ini and fill in the values, for example:
GameDirectory=D:\MyGame\WindowsNoEditor your packaged game folder (no trailing slash)
TempFolder=I:\temp a folder to store temp files (no trailing slash)
FtpPath=/public_html/launcher/ a web folder on your ftp
NOTE: While the launcher is cross-platform (Mono), the uploader currently needs a Windows machine.
2. Upload the contents of the deployer/ folder to the FTP folder that you input as FtpPath in the previous step.
3. In your browser, go to the FtpPath folder and login with these credentials:
4. Click “Change Password” and change your password.
5. Open launcher/LauncherSettings.ini and fill in the http path (the same folder as in p.3) and the path to your game’s exe, for example:
6. All done! Now you can distribute the launcher to your users and upload the game build (see next section)
The following steps are the same whether you upload a build for the first time or not:
Error: 553 filename not allowed
Solution: double-check your FtpPath in Settings.ini. It should be the same as after you connect with Filezilla/FlashFXP/other FTP client. If the correct folder opens right after connecting with Filezilla/FlashFXP, then you can just put “/” in FtpPath.
Error: When I hit “Play” in the launcher, I get “Unhandled exception”
Solution: Check the ExePath in LauncherSettings.ini. The path should start with Game/ and lead to your game’s .exe file.
Error: Launcher error "Value was either too large or too small for an Int32"
Solution: Unchecking “Use Pak Files” in packaging settings in UE4 should fix this. PAK files don’t protect anything since they can be unpacked using the .exe that comes with UE4 and they don’t work well with incremental updates, so I don’t use them.
Error: Launcher error “One or more errors occured”
This error is most likely thrown because there’s no hash.xml in the root of deployer folder. Make sure you’ve deployed the game and that it created hash.xml and emptied the “newupdate” folder. If it didn’t do that, try adjusting the folder permissions.
Error: Fatal error: Class 'ZipArchive' not found
Solution: you have to enable “zip” php extension. With some hosting providers, such as GoDaddy, you can do it from cPanel:
Click sound by LittleRobotSoundFactory
If your game is Greenlit, or approaching Greenlight, you usually have 3 choices:
So if you plan to be on Steam soon and don’t mind being Steam-exclusive for a while, it’s best to treat MMO Kit launcher as a temporarily launcher and don’t spend too much work on it.