

Open Source Committee (Intersect) - 2025/03/06 07:58 CST - Transcript

Attendees

Benjamin Hart, Bernard Sibanda, Christian Taylor, Christian Taylor's Presentation, Georg Link, Jonathan Kelly, Jordan Hill, KM, Moritz Angermann, read.ai meeting notes, Robin Böning, Sandip Pandey, Sebastian Pabon, Sublimedegree 357, Suganya Arun, Terence McCutcheon, Terence McCutcheon's Presentation

Transcript

Sandip Pandey: Hi textur.

Terence McCutcheon: Just a few more minutes here.

Terence McCutcheon: Welcome to our visitors there. we're just going to wait another few minutes, if we get a few more committee members here. today will be a little bit different. we are actually going to be uniquely without our vice chair. So this will be treated a little bit more like a work session. but we'll still try to run through the basic agenda that we had. Obviously just no decisions would be put up today. center. Hey, Rob.

Robin Böning: Hey all, good morning, good afternoon, good night, whatever. I've got a question could you maybe bring me up to speed in regards to the budget process and so on? I mean,...

Robin Böning: there was a lot of push back from Charles and so on. So, what's the current status here? how do we move forward from here?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, great question.

Terence McCutcheon: Unfortunately, as of right this moment, I do not have further information. we're pending an update from a meeting that I believe ends immediately as our meeting begins. So, I expect at least a few minutes of latency, if not most of the hour before we hear an update, from a collective standpoint. So, I don't have full details on that at this time, unfortunately. But as soon as we do have them,...

Terence McCutcheon: we will put those out here for you all.

Robin Böning: Thanks. Yeah,...

Robin Böning: I appreciate it.

Terence McCutcheon: All right, let's see what we got here. So, I do see we just have four committee members as of right now, but we do have some of our developer advocates. So, at the very least, we can get things started a little bit. And the agenda of course is in ClickUp, but I'm going to go ahead and pull it up for everybody right now. Take a quick look.

Terence McCutcheon: And of course, today is the 6th of March, and for anyone who I don't imagine this is the case, but if anyone doesn't know what meeting they joined, it is the open source committee meeting. again, disclaimers, we do not have our vice chair today. So, we're going to treat this more as a work session. no decisions or formal updates to be made in that regard. but just as far as what we're taking a closer look at here, we'll get a check-in from our developer advocates. we'll also take a look at going over some of the projects that are up for incubation review.

00:05:00

Terence McCutcheon: we will also talk about committee members getting more engaged in some of the working groups that we have and we'll cover any other business there. again, we do have a lot of visitors, so it looks like we may get a little bit closer to the end pretty quick. so we'll try to get some questions answered for you If you have them at all, feel free to start threading them here in the comments. other than that, I'll give you the space a little bit later on. Without further ado, I will pass this off to Bernard. And I noticed that GA was here as well. So, they host our Thursday sessions for the developer experience working group. So, they will have their second session today. for Alex and Uday I haven't seen them here today, but they normally host the Wednesday sessions and so next week they will be up. so we have Thursday alternating time zones as well.

Terence McCutcheon: just to kind of get that spread out and yeah, Bernard

Bernard Sibanda: Greetings everyone. My name is Bernard Swanda, one of the four developer advocates. I'll just highlight our experience with the sessions that we recently launched for the developer experience last week which was Thursday. Today we are going to have another one at 8:00 p.m. the purpose of these sessions they aligned with our goals as developer advoc for kids and these ones I think most of us were aware of them which is to identify developer challenges and then we did a survey and out of the survey the graphs are here we note

Bernard Sibanda: at what these respondents highlighted as developer needs. And to follow up on that survey then we are running these live sessions every week but we divided ourselves we are four two two per week just to share with you last week's session it was attended by some new developers I cannot say the list but what we gathered from the sessions which we had. It is very common with Cardano where people are really seeking assistance with the developer tools making things easy for them and then we managed to recruit. So it's a proof that it's working.

Bernard Sibanda: the survey we conducted is working and then there are some who didn't attend because we're expecting 48 of the response respondents to our survey but when I made a follow up to say some of them why they didn't come I think there was a mix up there because there were two times others didn't pay attention to the email that came so that is why now to fix this problem we do notify them early in the morning to say okay we are going to have this session going on. So basically in short this is improving on boarding documentation tooling and development workflow on the opensource sack. So that is all what I can give you in short. Thank you.

Terence McCutcheon: Wonderful. Thanks so much, Siga, did you want to add anything to that?

Suganya Arun: Yes thank you. Hello I just wanted to add a few more points along with that last point. since our last OAP meeting we had two productive sessions of developer experience working group

meetings. there was a mix of novice developers and developers who had experience around maybe two to three years.

00:10:00

Suganya Arun: Yeah, but few of the main points they considered giving us as an improvement is they felt the documentation was very much scattered. so they just like an actionable item what we have in our list is to centralize all the kana information into a single repository have a single one with all the links where they can go. that is one request and also to I know create video tutorials of basic Cardano transactions and smart contract interactions. these were the two major discussions we had we have an actionable item to work on and the other suggestion was to include the survey in the intersect website.

Suganya Arun: So if I could summarize from the last two meetings these three were the major points that we have an actionable item on us.

Terence McCutcheon: Thanks for sharing. so yeah, definitely just it developer advocates more so than actually being out there and connecting with them. It is another feedback source for us here at the open source office. we're going to continue to use that to the best of our ability here and...

Terence McCutcheon: work to see how we can get things improved. So good stuff in the works. All right. I think it's a good call out. I'm going to kind of move stuff a little bit here in the agenda. So for committee members who we do have here today, do believe it's really important if we can get some engagement in the working groups. so again, I can get those on the committee calendar if they're not already. but what we have right now is this week it's going to be the DevX working group at 6:00 p.m. UTC. that's Thursday and then the alternating week is Wednesdays.

Suganya Arun: Thank you.

Terence McCutcheon: And that meeting is at 100 p.m. UTC. I have the calendar link. It's in the Discord. I did pin it just the other day. but I will work with you and forward that along again as needed. Any questions, committee members? All righty. go. Yep. Yeah. Sandy. I don't believe there was yet.

Sandip Pandey: Do we have any update from the tooling working group? was there a meeting

Terence McCutcheon: I know there was a charter that was drafted. as far as I'm aware that has not been officially started or met yet, but Christian can probably tell me more.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, Sandy, we haven't started anything yet. We're waiting for the decision from Longmont to come through effectively tomorrow. and then we'll reevaluate the tooling working group and getting it started. Just want to make sure we're caught up to date with the new budget process before we start

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, thank I have another question if I can. The project incubation re reviews isn't the point an old business is it about the four projects that we were given to review.

Terence McCutcheon: Go ahead.

Terence McCutcheon: Correct. ...

Sandip Pandey: How do we continue with that? I do have read through that and do have some review points and my opinions on whether or not whether or not they are suitable

Terence McCutcheon: since today is a little bit more of a work session, we'll go through and discuss this. But the goal or the idea is by the next time that we meet or even async that we'll be able to say yes, go with this project or no, don't go with this project.

Terence McCutcheon: So we'll talk through some of that here today.

Sandip Pandey: Sounds good. Thank you.

Terence McCutcheon: I thought I heard another hand. Was I crazy or No trouble. All right. so we'll get right into the reviews unless there are any other blockers or Questions, excuse me.

Robin Böning: One just out of curiosity.

Terence McCutcheon: Yep.

Robin Böning: How does the funnel look like? How do you get in touch with developers? this question goes to the developer advocates I guess or...

Terence McCutcheon: Are you looking for...

Robin Böning: how do people find you?

Terence McCutcheon: how they specifically reach out or

Robin Böning: Or find how do they get in touch with you and what is the process there? Is there anything I don't know where we can create awareness and I wouldn't even know...

00:15:00

Robin Böning: if someone asked me I wouldn't even know right now how to refer and where to point them to.

Terence McCutcheon: Gotcha. ...

Terence McCutcheon: we definitely don't want that to be the case. So, I do want to highlight that we do have a developer advocate water cooler channel. It's on Discord. It's found right beneath the working groups. the best news about our developer advocates, and I'll let them speak to this if they want to at all, but they are actually developers in the community. That was something specifically that we looked for last year when we kicked this program off. So, even the application process, the questions that we went through and the whole interviews was, hey, how active are you out there in the developer space? What does this actually mean to you? and so it was a pretty low number of candidates.

Terence McCutcheon: I'd love to run this again and I think the goal would be to hopefully do that going into 2026 is to look at a new cohort of developer advocates. but again they are developers at working on different things within the ecosystem. so they are expanding their reach within their local areas and relevant to the things that they work on. Johnny. Yes. Perfect.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, just in addition to referring to the Discord, there's also this link here that I've put in the chat for the developer advocate program like listing bios of the advocates and links to their LinkedIn profiles. So that could be a good place to start for anybody wanting to reach out specifically to an existing advocate.

Terence McCutcheon: Thanks so much, Bernard.

Bernard Sibanda: All right.

Bernard Sibanda: Let me add I still believe there are some new groups that are coming up and also some other town halls who we never reached. We try by all means to go to each place and introduce this developer advocate program to different developers. That is The second thing on our survey which we distributed widely all around Kadano communities forums where We did indicate how existing developers can contact or work with us.

Jonathan Kelly: Can you drop a link in chat to the survey results specifically?

Terence McCutcheon: the survey is actually closed.

Terence McCutcheon: So, it was run throughout the month of February.

Jonathan Kelly: The results I'm saying I see.

Terence McCutcheon: The results are still being analyzed.

Bernard Sibanda: Yes. Yes.

Jonathan Kelly: So there's not yet a public link. Apologies.

Terence McCutcheon:

Terence McCutcheon: No trouble. yeah, so we just got it closed over the past weekend here. and they've just begun their analysis. So we're going to get that put together formally and then yes, we'll be planning on sharing that.

Bernard Sibanda: Yes. Correct. Thank you.

Jonathan Kelly: Thank you very

Terence McCutcheon: We'll move it right along here. I know there were at least one or two that had gone in and put in some comments and whatnot. Christian, do you want to help lead on this at all here or you just might have a little bit more information? but basically, we're looking to get this to the tooling working group as that spins up, but

Christian Taylor: So, go ahead and scroll to the bottom text.

Christian Taylor: So what the commercialization working group went back to all the way to the bottom there's a little box denoting is this project submission. Sorry, I thought we were talking about the other piece. yeah,...

Terence McCutcheon: Where is it?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. I know.

Christian Taylor: I know one decision I had to get out of this was the accelerator working group proposal. They have a meeting later today and I think we have a vote conclusion on that. So we'll do that after this. But essentially just to remind everyone how this process works. We haven't fully formalized it. But essentially this is just four projects from Emergo who want to come into incubation. we're trying to assess their level of maturity or if they follow is this something Intersect should invest in or help incubate. you need to keep in mind whether this is going to be a product versus a open source library. and whether it's going to be a sandbox project i.e. we can foster it but they need to prove the use case and we can help with that or it's already in growth project or...

00:20:00

Christian Taylor: mature stage. and then anything we agree here also goes to the TSC to review too. So,

Terence McCutcheon: So, while we're on here,...

Terence McCutcheon: and if anybody here wants or needs me to flip through all of them, I can. but I would definitely say that these questions here are probably some of the key ones that we want to take a look at. Is How does it integrate? of course, the overall fit. So, it's a couple of different ways of asking the same topic, but there are three different approaches to how you might look at that. what are the benefits and why is Intersect going to be the best place to help? above is just going to be a whole bunch of details and things that are going to give you additional context here. as well as the overall project description. So, again, for OSC members, you guys do have a access to this. The link to the folder is not only it's in multiple channels.

Terence McCutcheon: If you're having issues accessing it,...

Jonathan Kelly: Yep. No issues.

Terence McCutcheon: please let me know. okay.

Jonathan Kelly: I've read through all four.

Terence McCutcheon: And gotcha.

Jonathan Kelly: I'm more of a meeting commenter than I am a page commenter, which isn't a good idea. That's so I might start page commenting more often.

Sandip Pandey: One question here in this I did see that the road map seems incomplete road map context maybe it's missing something the last sentence on the road map context

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, it just cuts off mids sentence.

Terence McCutcheon: Let me check on that here.

Terence McCutcheon: Hang on just a sec.

Christian Taylor: The other to highlight too, there's three outcomes for these. So, either we approve it and send it on to the TSC or we reject it and send it back for them to add more clarity to any questions we have or we flat out just reject it all together.

Jonathan Kelly: Could just be a copy.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm checking that right now.

Christian Taylor: So, just keep those in mind.

Jonathan Kelly: It could just be a copy paste issue because apparently things were moved from one place to another. I don't know...

Christian Taylor: Could have been Sebastian Robin.

Jonathan Kelly: if the original tax cuts off

Sebastian Pabon: Hey my question was related to the previous one. What is the scenario if all these proposals get rejected? What's next in the process?

Christian Taylor: they can come back after I mean we could give rationale as to why it was rejected give them a chance to respond maybe...

Christian Taylor: but it just means the project stays with Margo it just intersect won't incubate it so Yeah.

Sebastian Pabon: Excellent. And...

Sebastian Pabon: what are Our sources of projects in this where we can go and see other prospects.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. I think we haven't even fully defined exactly what we're wanting to support out because you do have core cardano gov tool...

Christian Taylor: but what outside of that?

Christian Taylor: I'm kind of in the mindset we should avoid any products specifically with commercial incentives and...

Sebastian Pabon: Mhm. For sure. Thanks.

Christian Taylor: stick to open source libraries for community.

Jonathan Kelly: In which case, this one would come under a product, right? Carbon credit system. That's a finished thing rather than a library for people to use. But rather,...

Robin Böning: Yeah, And I even thought, didn't we speak about this two weeks ago or was it a different proposal?

Jonathan Kelly: no, we talked about a carbon credit system that was being tabled yet,...

Robin Böning: Right. ...

Jonathan Kelly: but it wasn't finished with the proposal stage yet,...

Christian Taylor: Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: I don't think.

Robin Böning: But we kind of rejected already,...

Robin Böning: .

Jonathan Kelly: I expressed skepticism at carbon credits in general,...

Jonathan Kelly: but I raised that as a bias in my part, and I wondered if it was something to be dismissed from my bias.

Robin Böning: I would need to listen to the recording,...

Jonathan Kelly: Maybe I ...

Robin Böning: but than just I thought it was like some of us.

Christian Taylor: Actually, out of curiosity for the group too,...

Jonathan Kelly: if there were others, I apologize.

Robin Böning: No, no, no. Sorry. Yeah. what I mean is I think there was common ground on this is not really a fit.

Christian Taylor: if we decide that this is something we don't want to sponsor, should we still have the TSC do their review, too, so that way you have two biparty things and then it's about reconciliation? Just curious. Okay. Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: I'm not against a second opinion with the caveat that I'd be part of that second opinion because I'm in the other limit.

Christian Taylor: I think it gives a fair chance to projects even if we're wholly against one. but yeah, I don't know.

00:25:00

Terence McCutcheon: I jump in here.

Terence McCutcheon: I did check this is all that was provided. So, it's possible that it may have been cut off, but not sure which. That's just all that we have in the response field. And then moving on to Sublime with a question.

Jonathan Kelly: You're muted if you're speaking.

Sublimedegree 357: I am muted and I was speaking. I'm saying I appreciate the opportunity here. I typically go on the budget side. You guys are amazing. yeah, as far as this goes. so I didn't know you guys over here there's a commercialization size to the open source committee,...

Sublimedegree 357: right? Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: We're currently hosting that working group.

Terence McCutcheon: So commercialization utility if you are in the discord there under the OSC working groups you'll see that forum. so that's where some of the work is being discussed and then they today. They meet weekly at I think it's 400 p.m. UTC.

Sublimedegree 357: And I think I looked at some of the stuff like Cardano sustainability and things like that which is pretty amazing. And I was wondering how cuz I looked at the POSM and some of the items in the budget around the open source and when I looked at that I didn't quite see how that was directed towards sustainability for the most part,...

Sublimedegree 357: I was trying to see how that would fit in because when I looked at the POSM items, it was more like, hey, it's like expecting people to pay to use a free park kind of in that type of a model. Unless I'm understanding incorrectly, I could be completely ignorant of how things function.

Terence McCutcheon: So, I'm trying to pick up from...

Terence McCutcheon: where you're coming from. I don't not sure if you're referring to specific items,...

Terence McCutcheon: but if this is regarding the placement of commercialization and utility in the paid open source

Sublimedegree 357: Yeah. Yeah.

Sublimedegree 357: Does that fall in there as far as the commercialization in there too?

Christian Taylor: So yeah,...

Christian Taylor: you have two different streams of where the money goes to flow. So the open source committee and the office are using specifically the budget items in the treasury to support open source libraries, but I didn't want to leave products out on their own. So that's where we have the commercialization working group to be a supporting arm to either set up an accelerator and/or business model training or helping connect and partner and network projects to clients. And that way you're not using necessarily the treasury for that under the open source but there's still a support mechanism because nothing existed for that for products.

Christian Taylor: In the future the working group may go to another committee if one gets stood up for that but right now we're fostering it because there's no other home. So,

Sublimedegree 357: And I like that I did put a project an idea forward as far as a kind of let's say quote unquote business arm for...

Sublimedegree 357: which where intersect would be incubating projects and doing a profit share as far as 10% for 5 years for

Sublimedegree 357: doing that and as aligning with commercialization as far as where it was for 5 years for using interex governance model for using marketing structure for getting that set up 10% of the profit sharing from that particular project for five years Intersect would get

Sublimedegree 357: profits from that for many years or forever if they're providing services for that particular project for incubating and providing those services and that's what I had proposed earlier I don't know...

Sublimedegree 357: where that got to and I think it went to that particular committee I don't know if it came across you guys or anything but that was kind of like the idea and it sounded familiar to what you're saying right now about

Sublimedegree 357: project incubations and working along those lines. As far as criminal civilization,...

Christian Taylor: Yeah, it might be an extension of it.

Terence McCutcheon: So heat.

Christian Taylor: But I think we'd have to move that conversation with the commercialization working group which meets in an hour and a half from now just so we don't move the OSC agenda off schedule for the moment.

Sublimedegree 357: Yeah. No, everything just seems to be tied in. I'm so sorry. I'll be quiet now.

Christian Taylor: No, you're good. I'll be on that call so happy to pick it up there. That's

Sublimedegree 357:

Sublimedegree 357: Okay. Thank you.

Jonathan Kelly: And Christian has also put a link in the chat to that meeting.

Sublimedegree 357: All right.

00:30:00

Terence McCutcheon: No trouble.

Terence McCutcheon: So yeah, I was just going to draw a line in the sand. I mean, you brought up a great point there. I can see where you do see some similarities here as far as project incubation and the commercialization efforts there. the idea here is that these projects that are coming for incubation are in a little bit of a struggling phase right or they need to verify if they are fully mature and can put forth those proposals. but I would also speak to something else I'm aware of which is that the newly founded growth and marketing committee has decided that they are going to be opening up an enterprise adoption and growth working group.

Terence McCutcheon: So I do expect for commercialization and that working group to have some shared work if you will so it can bring better enterprise adoption to the chain which is another effective definition of having that commercialization piece in the paid open source model. So Johnny I saw your questioning face there. If that requires more detail,...

Jonathan Kelly: I know it was just interesting to find that out.

Terence McCutcheon: we can Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: The growth and marketing committee have been trying to define themselves for some time now. and what's under them. So yeah, that was interesting to

Christian Taylor: text real fast to bring it back to this. Maybe at the bottom of this doc we should put a rationale section to connect the committee's thoughts and then put a no on whether we accept the proposal. That way we have info to email back to the sponsors. but to your point, Johnny, yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it comes up because you have two different audiences. Commercialization is more the people running businesses and then the growth of marketing is more of the marketing aspects of it. So it' be interesting to see them try to unite at some point. Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: I think they're leaning more in the growth side than the marketing side with that

Terence McCutcheon: That is actually a direct remitt out of ISC just for more information there. When GMC came to be they said they did not want it to be a sole marketing committee. They did say that they wanted it to be also focusing on growth and partnerships.

Christian Taylor: So if everyone sorry.

Sebastian Pabon: In that sense, is it possible to the mergence of two different lines of incubation? For example, I think in the OC, we are in charge of curating protecting some projects that can bring a general benefit in terms of dev ecosystem. But there are others. For example, this proposals that can bring some kind of commercial benefits, right? Maybe. Yes.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, it might do good to put some diction around it where incubation is projects that are going to come under the intersect GitHub and then an accelerator is our extension program where projects can be hosted wherever but you can get business acumen out of it and...

Sebastian Pabon: What I mean...

Christian Taylor: I've seen

Sebastian Pabon: what I mean is maybe these projects are not bad projects but maybe they should be evaluated by the commercial side of intersect for example

Terence McCutcheon:

Jonathan Kelly: And just as it was brought up at the beginning of the meeting, Charles is against proposal review by intersect committees in a centralized way and wants to reppp involvement in a more mainstream way.

Jonathan Kelly: So whatever comes out of that m meeting might disrupt the process that we're working on even now potentially. Financially.

Christian Taylor: Yeah,...

Christian Taylor: there's some insights to that. and right now, basically with the OC's budget, too, you still can put the budget proposal forward and just say that this specific line item comes under the OSC to manage or whatever body you want and DRBs may approve or disapprove it. we can't reject any proposals that come through is the kind of core remmit. But our programs in our budget kind of require us to be a

facilitator just because you don't want a hundred DREPs to have to sign a 100 different maintainer contracts under the retention program etc.

Jonathan Kelly: This is the practical difficulty with Charles's vision.

Terence McCutcheon: Noted Ben.

Benjamin Hart: Yeah. Not only that, if Intersect is unable to reject a proposal, we could obligate ourselves to oversight of delivery on projects that aren't feasible.

00:35:00

Christian Taylor: Yeah. ...

Terence McCutcheon: There you go.

Christian Taylor: and that's where I'm advocating that even if we can't reject, us as an institution should be able to put recommendations on it because that's the core remitt of the TSC, To tell you whether something's technical feasible or not. And then DREPs can use our education or our recommendation on it to make their own decision if that's where it needs to lie with.

Jonathan Kelly: I don't want to get into the politics, but they're so close to being discussed right now. Let's continue.

Christian Taylor: Okay.

Christian Taylor: Just to quickly go back to that. I think next change everyone kind of was leaning towards no on supporting it. Can we just capture the key points of rational as to why

Jonathan Kelly: One was that if we're talking about tooling or library or something that everyone can use as a resource to build upon. Its not It's an end product. yes, they could use the contents of the code for it in an open source way to contribute or build from there, but it's not underlying resource for everyone. There's one later on that is the serialization library which is evidently for everyone.

Terence McCutcheon: Sandy.

Sebastian Pabon: And you mentioned really Christian it's about libraries and...

Sebastian Pabon: tooling that can provide a service for the ecosystem building another thing.

Jonathan Kelly: So, it may just be that it's come to the wrong port rather than it not being viable at

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, in my opinion they already have the road map where they want to go. So from the product perspective coming to intersect and there's an open one I think there might be conflict of interest or directions that might not be suitable or even the oversight

Sebastian Pabon: to restaurant.

Christian Taylor: So, I think we're in consensus then. All hands up in favor of no.

Terence McCutcheon: We cannot vote on this meeting.

Jonathan Kelly: We're not at quorum.

Terence McCutcheon: We don't have a chair nor a vice chair.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: We have no power.

Jonathan Kelly: So, it's not a decision time.

Terence McCutcheon: So everything can be adjusted in the documents here.

Jonathan Kelly: Apologies. I'd like that.

Terence McCutcheon: I can go through each document if you guys want. Again, this is treated more as a work session right now. or if going through one is sufficient, I'll make sure that it's copied over.

Jonathan Kelly: At the very least, I'd like to go to the one that says will be provided in two months time just to get people's opinions on that.

Terence McCutcheon: No problem. I think that was rewards calculation if I'm not mistaken.

Christian Taylor: I think these set of proposals are actually perfect for us curating this.

Jonathan Kelly: No, it might be the other one. It might be the one that's connected to this carbon credit system. The one for DeFi. It might be

Terence McCutcheon: Okay.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, I'm a

Christian Taylor:

Christian Taylor: You might as well go through all of them text. We'll just capture key points of rational subun.

Sublimedegree 357: So when I hear things being split up it is already in some places that intersect incubation over there. It's I think has a tendency to lose focus and things develop separately and especially when it comes to funding and going forward so why can't we just have just one if we're going to do an incubation just do an incubation and...

Christian Taylor: Excellent. ...

Sublimedegree 357: have things streamlined into the segments

Sublimedegree 357: or wherever that they belong. Why are we going to have incubations all over? Regardless if a project needs help because it's in critical condition or it's a new project, it's still an incubation, right?

Christian Taylor: you have different definitions whether on what organization is hosting it. So, if it's the parent company just wants help, you're talking more of an accelerator type thing. But if they want to shift their source code to an organization for example the Linux Foundation, there's a whole incubation review

process. That's what I'm replicating here for TSC OSC and doing that process. So this would mean Intersect now shares partial liability with your project. You still retain the IP but we also control help with the licensing building community stuff and there's more direct investment. So that's why it's different from those two aspects. And then from the intersect side we're narrowing the criteria for what we're willing to host. whereas the other piece with an accelerator that term gets flip-flopped with incubation all the time but they are two different separate remmits.

00:40:00

Robin Böning: What I do understand here is that it might be confusing to people, So if there would be just one touch point where you say I want to go into some kind of incubation and the next question that you see is it a commercial project or are you going the open source way and you want to provide a library for the community then maybe you have this two different parts from here that one goes to OC and the other goes to some kind of communalization.

Jonathan Kelly: there already has been triage...

Jonathan Kelly: but I'm not sure if it's specific to this kind of thing like which committee which path but triage has come up before about where to put things that come

Terence McCutcheon: We do need to rehash or... even rather create forms that can accept general project submissions and that may route things more to us or again that may just improve upon how these projects come to us and whatnot. So that it's all developmental and some of it is again relevant to the budget conversation. So I would expect that as we get into here that a lot of this will be refined and definitively Q3 Q4 we what I would say is probably some forms u across the organization if there's not one general one then at least for open source we'll have a couple of forms but I don't think we'll have more than two or three but we'll just revise those our standard documentation.

Terence McCutcheon:

Terence McCutcheon: So future development is what I would say. but...

Terence McCutcheon: what we have we can review and jump from. We don't have to start completely from scratch.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, there's a lot of framework that's been built for things that can be adapted to any final workflow.

Jonathan Kelly: The workflow isn't defined, especially again because of this meeting off the back of Charles's Twitter space and subsequent meetings. So, we're still waiting to hear if there's going to be any fundamental change.

Sandip Pandey: on this couldn't it be that starting point always become the intersect inbod.org Or they become member and have an option from them.

Jonathan Kelly: Ideally you'd want a form that's adaptive as it comes in. That's a universal form. People selfidentify what group they come under and then they get to go through the specific questions and it goes to the specific group that they've requested. That doesn't preclude the idea that they'd fill in for all

two or three just to see if they could have a go at every option, but people might self-select down the path that they feel they're most relevant to as long as enough context is given for them to choose that path.

Jonathan Kelly: Kind of like choosing your faction.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. I mean and...

Christian Taylor: maybe basically the incubation at a high level is just the process of bringing it into Intersect, but we can get rid of our submission form and go to any specific standard. There's just additional questions that'll be required on a follow-up so we have all the information to review.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, also you could start by saying do you want to move your entire repository to be under the opcodes of intersect and...

Christian Taylor: So Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: if that no is the answer to that first question then you've eliminated one of the options.

Terence McCutcheon: I will site just a quick response to that and...

Terence McCutcheon: maybe it was just one opinion but we did have Adam's opinion from previous where there was a caution of basically hey we don't want to be putting ourselves as open as we want your repository understood I did want to direct this back...

Jonathan Kelly: No, no, no. I know. But I'm saying if there was ever an outcome where that was the path that was going to be taken, you could get people to say no from the outset that they don't even want to accept that as a possibility. W it.

Terence McCutcheon: since I was asked to share it I have number two up right now if we don't have any more questions on number two or rather don't need to see it up. I can go to number three.

Jonathan Kelly: Which one's this one the DeFi one. let's quickly through it. This isn't the one that says In two months time. This This is the one that already exists on the EVM chain and...

Terence McCutcheon: No, thank

Jonathan Kelly: is migrating over to Cardano. Who's our crit?

00:45:00

Georg Link: My question is what gateway means in this case. Is this something that others will use or is gateway here an application a product

Jonathan Kelly: They're claiming it gives people access to fiat money loan through decentralized ecosystem and USDA I think is what they were saying they would be using if I remember correct and it already exists in EBM for access to fiat loans through an onchain service. So it sounds very productlike.

Sandip Pandey: on this if I'm understanding correctly they want to expand to Kadano. I did check there is orderly access button but yeah there's a email address to fill in. So from the product perspective not sure if it is fully compatible with Kadano. they already said that they have multiple EVM sense support. So why

on Cardano would it be a good fit? even if it is not the main focus of the project as an expansion to Kadano that's pointed here. So in my opinion it is not ready enough to be on boarded to intersect

Jonathan Kelly: that they're arguing that their value is that they'll be the first product to providing what is it? Hang on. we aim to also be the first DeFi use case for USDA and offer our novel fiat loan flows to both individuals and institutions who can leverage their crypto collateral. So yeah and they also later on say they want to integrate with the previous proposal which was the carbon credit system as a part of their collateralization for loans. So they seem to go hand in hand with the previous proposal.

Robin Böning: It does sound like another commercial project. Yeah.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. ...

Christian Taylor: yeah. I'm wondering if part of their protocol is open source and then they have a commercial aspect on top of it for this. Otherwise, it kind of just doesn't fit the remitt. which I understand moving like that's why Hideera source code is at the Linux Foundation, but obviously you still have their commercialized on the side.

Jonathan Kelly: I believe they link to a repository in this proposal somewhere.

Jonathan Kelly: Do they if my memory serves me further down there's the maintainer file.

Christian Taylor: I haven't looked at this one in detail.

Christian Taylor: I think it's up above, is it not?

Jonathan Kelly: So there's definitely something

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, it's been a little bit up in the previous case,...

Christian Taylor: Yeah. Emergo Labs CCF loans maintainers MD.

Sandip Pandey: I think.

Jonathan Kelly: It's just road map. let's have a look.

Christian Taylor: You can go to the main page.

Jonathan Kelly: The question is, does this repository mainly refer to EVM code? if they're planning to expand into Cardano, have they actually done this yet or...

Jonathan Kelly: is it just the road map or have they done it? That noop.

Robin Böning: I mean,...

Robin Böning: sorry of interrupting. there's some icon files in there. I can see some icon. there's a toml file. there was a log file. there was some things

Christian Taylor: H. Can you see...

Christian Taylor: what the license is on this text?

Jonathan Kelly: I was going to ask that next top right.

Terence McCutcheon: There's not one.

Christian Taylor: Interesting. Go to the insights tab. yeah. And then community standards.

Terence McCutcheon:

Terence McCutcheon: I know where it is. Thank you.

Jonathan Kelly: Sorry, I thought you just weren't

Terence McCutcheon: It's my first time on our repo.

Christian Taylor: I know they're missing a lot of core stuff.

Terence McCutcheon: It's been a whole year. Come on, man.

Sublimedegree 357: Hey, hey guys.

Jonathan Kelly: So I was going to

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I would say this is one of those doesn't even meet minimum qualifications. So, We can argue the open source aspects later, but if you don't even have your license on there, that's an immediate rejection in my opinion.

Terence McCutcheon: Anything else on fusion?

Jonathan Kelly: fun. Next,...

00:50:00

Terence McCutcheon: Going to three. Sorry.

Christian Taylor: We can save some time. Let's just check to see if they all have licenses.

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, I think there's only one for which is defined for others. So I did not see any license.

Sandip Pandey:

Jonathan Kelly: this is the one that's the most interesting to me. We'll provide this in two months. It's like I don't know if that's acceptable.

Christian Taylor: It might be one of those. They're hoping to see if they can start the repository under Intersect, but I think you need an MVP before applying stance typically, right?

Jonathan Kelly: They're there.

Terence McCutcheon: So I say there's some conflicting discussion around this when we were first going over...

Terence McCutcheon: what our budget stuff is and again the incubation program is designed to be you've received catalyst funding but you're not yet successful right and is there a maintenance issue is there a build issue what exactly is going on and how can we incubate that to a maturity phase and that's the difference so yeah if you don't have your MVP And we're not saying that we're going to leave you out to dry if you haven't received catalyst funding, but that kind of tells the story in And it's not that you have to have that as a requirement either. It's just where are you at in that stage? And are you planning on submitting for catalyst? If you are, that's the way you got to go. And if you've already had it and now you're no longer seeking it, but are you needing specific support to the open source methodology or you just looking for financial support?

Terence McCutcheon: You want financials, go wherever you want. But you want to actually improve the open source piece of it, then yeah, let's come here.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, to Morris's point in chat, they make a bold claim, but they don't seem to allude to how they want to get to their claim, which is being able to provide calculator without having to rely on something like Coyos or API calls or a Cardano DB sync installation.

Jonathan Kelly: So they're trying to do simulation of potential rewards on Cardano without referring to the chain which is fascinating as an idea.

Christian Taylor: If I'm not mistaken,...

Christian Taylor: I think we have a redundancy thing here, too, cuz the CF just released a rewards calculator,...

Jonathan Kelly: Yes, they did.

Christian Taylor: So Yeah.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, that was taking on an existing project that had been around for some time and then reworking it to be a incubated product, I guess.

Jonathan Kelly: yeah, cuz that calculator was one I was using previously in 2022 to show people rejections of potential rewards on different pool settings and it was actually more complicated back then. It's been simplified for the CF implementation. So yeah, this exists but it does but they're trying to say it's better because it doesn't require Cardano DB sync installation and doesn't require API calls but then it's only going to be static and it'll need to be updated to reflect any changes.

Christian Taylor: And I think too this raises another question about this process because we already have DBsync hosted. So, do we host conflicting things like different smart contract languages in the future or I mean I don't know it's a good question where it's s***.

Moritz Angermann: I don't think we should focus too much on monoculture.

Jonathan Kelly: I don't want to be a king maker.

Moritz Angermann: It's not about Kingmaker, but I don't want to run into okay, we're only doing X and we're doing X for I don't know, ideological or whatever weird reasons or because it's the entrenched solution or whatnot. we should focus on diversity even...

Christian Taylor: You're

Moritz Angermann: though that might be a slightly loaded term these days. in general, I think we should really focus on supporting multiple technologies, even if they're slightly overlap.

Georg Link: I wanted to support that and as part of the project life cycle phases that we have there when we have multiple projects that are competing at some point the community or the market will decide for one or the other technology I don't think long-term competing solutions will prevail but we don't have to be the ones to decide that And then we have that final phase of archiving or sunseting a project once everyone has migrated to one solution. So open source does have a tendency of coming up with one widely accepted standard.

00:55:00

Christian Taylor: I think it was send deep and then Sebastian...

Christian Taylor: then Moritz.

Sandip Pandey: on this topic.

Sandip Pandey: I think intersect should do that but there should be at least some differentiation between the projects why it makes sense on board the next similar project or competing project. There has to be some some noble approach otherwise it could be considered like a waste of resources. So there has to be a reason that it should be accepted.

Jonathan Kelly: In any case,...

Jonathan Kelly: in any case, it's definitely not mature.

Sebastian Pabon: Are we talking about the calculator.

Jonathan Kelly: This reward calculator proposal in front of us.

Terence McCutcheon: I moved to CSL.

Sebastian Pabon: Because I think back in the day the CSL was a wide used library...

Jonathan Kelly: Sorry. That's mature. The serialization library's been around for a

Terence McCutcheon: We're down to five minutes. So I had moved this just a few minutes ago. So,

Sebastian Pabon: but in the same line it was a complete hit headache for developers. And I remember how devs ask continually to eorgo, okay, when do you guys are going to fix this library? So I have my opinions about this.

Jonathan Kelly: It seems to get updated along with hard fork.

Sebastian Pabon: Yeah. Yes.

Jonathan Kelly: So it brings parody with whatever it needs.

Sebastian Pabon: I don't know the current situation, but I think s if the CSL is up to an innovation program or as some kind of support from the tooling work work group. Okay. Thanks.

Jonathan Kelly: Your Roy is

Robin Böning: And I agree with what Moz just wrote here in the chat. it's just my gut feeling right now, but I also believe CSL is around for a long time. It has matured for sure and it has been used widely. I think it maybe not anymore so much but it is definitely a library a piece of software that has shown a lot of benefits to the community to the whole ecosystem.

Sebastian Pabon: Yeah, I think the CSL deserves a kind of a poll for H promoted by our advocates and start to bring to gather information about okay in what extent really in reality this library is used currently. But definitely it's a library that we need in the ecosystem.

Christian Taylor: And if we do adopt it, we can drive more feature involvement from users too.

Jonathan Kelly: I was looking at the contribution. There's other hands.

Terence McCutcheon: We got to go to I think it let me check the order here.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, Sand deep and...

Terence McCutcheon: then Jurg and then we are just about out of time there. So

Christian Taylor: I do have one five minute thing I have to get across today too for the OSC on the accelerator.

Sandip Pandey: I'll be quick.

Sandip Pandey: Regarding CSL, I do think it is a good fit because it is used by the developers. I know many projects who depend on it. It might not be the best but it does have value. So from that perspective, my vote on this would be yes.

Robin Böning: Is it possible we could bring up votes on these proposals on Slack?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah,...

Robin Böning: Bring these up for a vote.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, that works.

Terence McCutcheon: put that out there. Yeah.

Robin Böning: That's what I mean.

Robin Böning: to reiterate on this next time.

Sebastian Pabon: Just a quick question. The idea is if this proposal come to fruition in the incubation program, the repo will be part of the under the intersects repos in our words no more go a new beginning in intersect.

01:00:00

Christian Taylor: Correct. So if OSC and...

Sebastian Pabon: Okay. Awesome.

Christian Taylor: TSC agree, we would take fork that repository over or move it to Intersect and have them archive it on their end. And Emergo would be a contributor through Intersect to the project, but it would be Intersect that helps facilitate the development. Okay, so text will put votes up in the Slack.

Sebastian Pabon: Answer.

Jonathan Kelly: Okay.

Georg Link: In the interest of time, I'll take it offline.

Christian Taylor: The thing I also need to get a vote on for the commercialization working group was their proposal. we extended it to 2 weeks. They did include a breakout of minimum cost that it may be between 35, but they're still holding up to the 50k. Anything that's not utilized will be returned is the stance. yeah,...

Jonathan Kelly: That seems fine.

Christian Taylor: and most of everything else has stayed the same. They just included some demo stuff. but John Woodward with Waltham is completely going to help drive this program because he's done several accelerators in the past. Yeah. ...

Jonathan Kelly: As long as we get to keep the structure and the way things are planned to be, that'll be great. But we'll see.

Christian Taylor: and I'm already working the budget to stay relatively the same structure. and I think Intersect agreed getting the OC budget across as one of their core KPIs altogether.

Jonathan Kelly: It was the one that had the least controversy in any public review that I was a part of. there was that 7hour call where everybody looked at every sheet and OSC had the least controversial items. so it might be like a good one to put up to DREPs just...

Jonathan Kelly: because it doesn't seem to have much hate.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. ...

Christian Taylor: everything was structured to be a test before we scale it.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, we had the luxury of starting right rather than taking over a running train.

Christian Taylor: So, yeah. for the accelerator proposal. should we just do another Slack vote for that as well?

Jonathan Kelly: considering there's no vice chair as has been stated we can't do a formal vote here. So yeah,...

Christian Taylor: Okay, I'll do that. that's everything. Did anyone have any extra questions or anything? Yeah,...

Jonathan Kelly: existential ones, but they'll wait till next week when we know

Christian Taylor: which I've been clued in that the developer report that'll come out Friday will include all the latest info. So hopefully Jack is able to get that out.

Jonathan Kelly: That's nice I'll find out through public newsletter. I'll go read that when it comes.

Christian Taylor: Yep, I'm here if y'all need anything. I'm still trying to sync once they finish the meeting minutes.

Jonathan Kelly: Epotial shoulder to cry on.

Jonathan Kelly: Christian, we'll keep you the other three. Thank

Christian Taylor: Yeah. ...

Christian Taylor: one shoulder's taken up for myself, so Okay. if there's nothing else, we'll drop the session. Thank you'all for joining.

Sandip Pandey: Thank you.

Sebastian Pabon: Bye bye guys.

Robin Böning: Thanks. Bye, guys.

Christian Taylor: Yep. y'all on the call later. Bye.

Bernard Sibanda: Thank you. Bye.

Meeting ended after 01:16:11 🖐️

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.