Player/Parent Participation Contract
The Riverbend Base Runners will play in approximately 4-7 tournaments beginning in April and ending in early July. *Players will play league games with teams in Fulton/Albany Rec League during the week.
Our club rules, code of conduct and procedures are explained in detail throughout the following pages. Please read through each page closely and discuss with your son/daughter. Be sure to keep a copy of this contract in your home for future reference.
- Our players are taught to respect umpires, coaches, and opposing teams. Bad calls are part of the game and we will definitely see some from time to time, but please remember to set a good example of sportsmanship for your child. Any parent arguing or verbally abusing umpires from the stands will be asked to leave the game by the coaching staff and will not be permitted to attend the next game. Remember that we are representing our community and Riverbend’s reputation as a “Quality Class Organization”.
- Playing time, fielding position, and batting lineup are not guaranteed or open for discussion. The coaches will attempt to make playing time fair, but equal playing time is nearly impossible to achieve.
- During games, parents are asked to remain a good distance away from the player dug out. Players will be instructed not to visit with parents or friends during warm up or game time. Coaches will need their full attention and concentration. Parent to player instruction during the game will not be tolerated. Parents attempting to coach from the stands will be asked to leave. Please only use positive comments or cheers for the team and resist the temptation to focus on the negative.
- Players will not be permitted to have snacks, soda, gum or food of any kind in the dugout during games. The only exception will be sunflower seeds. Players must have their water or sports drink before the game starts. Please help them remember.
- Please help us teach the players responsibility. Make sure that your child carries their own gear bag, gets their own water ready for games & practices and plans their own schedule to be prepared for practices and games.
- Club dues can be made in three payments or in one $350 payment. Dues are for the tournament fees, insurance, cage rental, gym rental, and uniforms only.
- Parents are asked to help their child learn and follow the player rules outlined on the following pages.
- Be RESPONSIBLE… Do not leave it up to your parents to get you ready for games or practices. Your parents are sacrificing a lot to give you this opportunity and it is up to you to show them that you can handle the responsibility that comes with it. Take care of your own equipment bag, glove, hat, uniform and water. Don’t make your parents remind you when to get ready for practice or games.
- Base Runners players may not play on any other tournament team during our season without prior permission.
- Players must arrive to practice and be ready to go 10 minutes before start time. For example, if practice is to start at 5:30 pm, all players should be at the field ready for practice at 5:20.
- Players must wear baseball pants, baseball shoes, practice shirt and ball cap to every outdoor practice. No Shorts will be allowed except for batting practices. Caps must be worn facing the proper direction and shirts must be tucked in.
- Players must bring water and/or sports drink to every practice and game.
- HUSTLE everywhere when on the field during both practice and games. NEVER EVER WALK.
- On game days, players are expected to be at the field and ready to begin pre game practice 45 minutes before scheduled game time.
- Players will not be permitted to participate in pre game practice unless they are in proper Base Runners uniform which includes jersey tucked in, no jewelry, hat on correctly, cleats, socks and game pants.
- No food, pop, gum or candy will be permitted in the dugout except sunflower seeds. Only drink water or sports drinks. Please have your drinks before you take the dugout. We do not want your parents or friends bringing you drinks etc. when we are getting ready for the game or during the game. When at tournaments, absolutely no carbonated beverages including soda.
- When you are in a Base Runners uniform, you must carry yourself as a respectful and well-mannered on/off the field. When on the field you must HUSTLE EVERYWHERE YOU GO. Absolutely no walking will be tolerated.
- Exhibit good sportsmanship and enthusiasm for the game. Do not show displeasure in umpire calls, teammate mistakes, or your mistakes. Be positive at all times. Any Base Runners player who attempts to comment or argue with an umpire, yell at a teammate or pout will be immediately subject to discipline including potentially being removed from the game.
- Full attention on your coaches and focus on the game is a MUST. Players interacting with friends, parents or distractions other than the game will be removed from play.
- Players are not permitted to ask to play a certain position or place in the lineup during the game.
- Your coaches and teammates deserve your respect and poor attitudes will not be tolerated.
- How you carry yourself on and off the field is a big part of the Base Runners program. Mistakes will be made and disappointments are part of the growing and learning process. How you handle yourself after a mistake or disappointment will show what caliber of player you are. SHAKE IT OFF! KEEP A GREAT ATTITUDE! HAVE FUN! ENCOURAGE YOUR TEAMMATES! Pouting, complaining or hanging your head are selfish acts and do not help the team. BE A WINNER! It starts with your attitude!
- Although we may see curveballs thrown to us as batters, Riverbend Base Runner players will not be allowed to throw breaking balls until properly taught by coaching staff. Extensive research has shown that the twisting motion needed to properly throw a breaking ball is the cause of many elbow and shoulder injuries in youth baseball players. Any player practicing breaking balls during the season without proper instruction will be immediately removed from the pitching rotation for 5 games. The term “breaking ball” includes curveballs but a correctly thrown cutter would not be included.
- Players will be expected to commit to meeting once per week in the winter for indoor practices, 2-3 times per week in preseason (March and April), 3-4 contacts per week in season (2 games and 2 practices), and approximately 4-7 tournaments a summer with the hopes of concluding the season in early July.
2017 Season Notes
- We will be purchasing all new uniforms this season. Player’s fees will be used to purchase at least 1 pair of baseball pants, a new hat, and a jersey.
- We will be practicing indoors once every week for agility, batting, and pitching. Players will be expected to attend these practices starting no earlier than January and ending in April. Outdoor practices will start in March/April as weather permits.
- After March 1st, players who need to miss a practice or a game will need to be excused prior to the day of the game or practice. Two excused absences will result in having to sit out 1 full game. The first unexcused absence will result in having to sit 1 full game. Three instances of being tardy will count as one unexcused absence and will result in sitting one full game. If a player is needed to sit out 3 games due to absences, they will be removed from the team.
Signature/Sign Up Page
PLAYER AND PARENT MUST SIGN
Parents/Guardian Name ________________________________________________
Cell 1_________________Cell 2__________________
Emergency Contact Info__________________________________________________________________
I have read, understand and agree to comply with all rules & policies of the Riverbend Base Runners baseball/softball as outlined in the text on previous pages of this contract. I also understand that repeated rules violations could result in removal from the team.
Player signature & Date Parents/Guardians (both) signature & Date
Print Name Print Name or Names