Hello! I am Mandi Aubrey, your MALS Writing Consultant
- I am an ETSU MALS Graduate, 2011
- My MALS research focused on ecofeminism in the Gastonia novels
- In addition to my writing consultant work, I am a librarian and teacher
- I love interdisciplinary research and look forward to reading your work!
Writing Center services offered
- One-on-one online assistance by appointment
- Evening Online Office Hours
- During online hours I will be available to offer direct assistance via live chat or email. Contact me or check the MALS Writing Center for current hours.
- Set-up and facilitation of peer writing groups
How the MALS Writing Consultant can help you
- As a peer consultant, I offer a fresh perspective and neutral feedback about your writing.
- I am a MALS graduate familiar with interdisciplinary, academic writing, and I have experienced first-hand the challenges you might also encounter during your time in graduate school.
Consultations may include
- Assistance with the Writing Process
- Helping you utilize strategies for finding sources
- Advice on the research proposal-writing process
- Coaching as you develop arguments & incorporate evidence
- Critique and Advice on Specific Pieces, such as....
- Seminar Paper Drafts or Excerpts
- Annotated Bibliographies
Consulting Services At A Glance
- Rather than edit or proofread drafts, I can provide feedback about your problem areas and help you fix them
- Rather than perform research or locate sources, I can teach you how to conduct this process
- Rather than write any portion of an assignment or tell you what to write, I can help you brainstorm ideas
- Rather than determine the requirements for an assignment or grade any of your work, I can discuss your goals and objectives as they apply to your written work
- The final responsibility for your work lies with you, so please refer any questions regarding assignment goals, objectives, and requirements to your course instructor.
Tips for getting the most out of your consultation
- Provide specific questions or concerns whenever possible. My feedback will be more constructive if you let me know what aspects of an assignment concern you the most.
- Provide a copy of the prompt.
- Requests for consultation will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis, and response time will vary, although I do try to answer questions in a timely manner.
- I cannot guarantee a rush response, nor will I be held responsible for any late work. Should you desire more immediate assistance, please utilize my scheduled office hours.
- It is in your best interest to allow adequate time for me to respond and utilize feedback.
How to get started on online consulting
- Google Drive/Docs: already included in your Goldmail account, Drive is the interface I will use to view and comment on pieces of your writing.
- Gmail Chat: during online office hours or by appointment, I will be available for live chat to discuss documents you share and answer general questions about your writing.
- Instructional slideshows for using these features are are already shared and readable in your Google Docs/Drive list!
FAQs about the Writing Consultant
- Can you consult with me about writing in my subject-field electives? Yes, but keep in mind that I may not be familiar with the terms, theories, and methodologies for some disciplines. That said, I can offer feedback on more general areas, such as organization or clarity.
- Can you help me with writing for my job (or club newsletter, etc.)? Unfortunately, I only have the resources to consult with MALS students on graduate school writing. However, you might find that some of the feedback and resources you gain with my consultations prove useful in other areas.
- How long does a consultation take? It varies depending on the nature of the consultation, the length/volume of any work you share with me, and the day/time you request the consultation. Typically, a live chat consultation lasts 30 to 60 minutes. I can usually complete asynchronous consultation (i.e., you share a paper and allow me to review it on my own time) in 24 to 48 hours from the time I receive the request.
- Who can use the Writing Consultant? Only currently enrolled MALS students at East Tennessee State University may consult with me at this time.
- Do I have to have a complete draft before I schedule a consultation? No! Consulting is so much more than draft review! In fact, you'll get much more out of consulting if you seek help early in the writing process. Even if you just have a jumble of notes, I might be able to serve as a sounding board to help keep you on track. If you do have a draft you'd like reviewed, make sure you let me know before the consultation your top few concerns.
- Can you meet with me on campus to discuss my paper? Yes. While most students prefer the online consultation, I know some people find a live consultation more helpful. If you would like to meet in-person, please contact me at email@example.com to discuss this option and schedule an appointment.
Online office hours Spring 2016
- Mondays and Wednesdays 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Other times by appointment, including evenings and weekends! (Please schedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance, or by Friday at noon for weekend appointments.)