EPICS V4 Telecon 21-June-2016

Earlier                                                                                Later

Agenda

  1. Status of AIs
  2. Release Planning for 4.6.0
  1. Features and changes
  1. Meeting/Codeathon at SNS in Sept.

Minutes

Chair: AJ

Present: MK, AJ, KK, RL, SH

Scribe: DH

Table of AIs

No

Action

Assignee

Target Date

Status

2

See who can fund dbGroup/Qsrv going on

GW

assigned

5

Write the one license file (using the MIT license in most cases)

AJ

assigned

6

Update your module to include copy of that one LICENSE. Update your headers to contain the header text.

ALL MODULE OWNERS

wait on 5

7

On your module pages, remove the current/previous links; replace “Working Draft” with version number of module, which has its own numbering scheme, like 5.0.2 for pvDataCPP. Eg “Version 5.0.2 18/Nov/2015”

AJ check status, ALL MODULE OWNERS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

7a

For masarService

GS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

7b

For pvAccessJava

MS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

7c

For pvCommonCPP

MS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

10

Simplify Literature page and home page to help users find novice oriented documentation.

GW

assigned

16

Commit changes to all modules, other than exampleCPP and pvDatabaseCPP, which set the shared library versions

MD

assigned

17

Monitor changes pull request (AI from meeting 15-Mar-2016, http://tinyurl.com/zqa3qyp

MD

5-Apr-2016

assigned

1. Status

MK: Apart from DH request everything done for C++. Can test anything. Java behind. Will add RPC then look at Java.

MK: Have you looked at parent Poms

DH: NO.

RL: POM reorg finished.
CloudBees Jenkins jobs remain to be cleaned up. Single module build jobs still work, but will like to have release done by package, so if one breaks the build breaks. Change existing jobs (to ‘install’ instead of ‘deploy’) and requires one more build job. Java not released in private EPICS repo on SourceForge web space, but on Sonatype/Maven Central. Works for SNAPSHOT, suspect it will also work for real release.

2. Release planning for 4.6.0

Release Planning Document link

AJ; Everyone happy with release timetable?

MK: Is it OK to do doc changes after pre1.

AJ: Yes. Doc changes possible up to the final release (most changes in rc1).

AJ: Any objections to using this doc to replace spreadsheet?

RL: 3 sources of version numbers?

AJ: This will replace release tracker spreadsheet.

DH: Didn’t fill the release tracker in for patch release.

AJ: Do we need all the columns from the spreadsheet?

RL: Useful for communication between module owners and bundler.

AJ: We don’t have Greg who was doing the Java bundling.

RL: I’ll do Java bundling. (As Jenkins jobs have changed and need to be tested anyway.)
Let’s add the release tracker as a separate table in that document. So that we have one link per bundle release, but both functions.

AJ: AJ/DH to work on C++ bundling.

RL: Need to coordinate on that. The repo module that does the bundling will have to contain everything that is needed and all additional files that go into the download tars, but creating the download tars is done (by running make in the bundling module) in a scratch area where the bundling module puts all stuff and sets up the tar’s contents, before finally calling tar/zip to create the archive(s).

AJ: New makefile, DH has some comments (offline). Doesn’t build Python

AJ. Can’t configure pvaPy until pvaClientCPP has been built.

DH: RPC pvRequest done for C++/Java. Python remains. Working on improving pvDatabaseRPC example.

AJ: MK added question on location of RELEASE_NOTES.md file.

DH: README.md and LICENSE should be at the top level, other files including RELEASE_NOTES.md should be in the documentation directory.

ALL: Agreed.

AJ: If we add a .github directory we can add additional files to that for template issues and pull requests. Will post link to mailing list if I can find it again.

RL: Chasing MD on AIs. Can’t remember if did one and won’t do the other unless someone pays him.

RL: Releasing on Maven central requires us to sort out licence.

AJ: Almost done - sorting out disclaimers.

3. Meeting/Codeathon at SNS in Sept.

KK: Workgroup meetings at SNS EPICS Meeting for EPICS & CS-Studio start on the 16th.

Can use Fr/Sa/Su/Mo, except David busy w/ training on Mo the 19th.

   September 2016  

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa

11 12 13 14 15 16 17

18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RL: Will travel Thursday, Sept 15

Discussion about what should happen at WG F2F meetings

KK: The next WG meeting will be just after the 4.6.0 release, so the meeting should be more biased towards developing a plan for what the group does next.

SH: Roadmap needs to come from the projects that are using V4, e.g. have APS present our V4 needs for the DAQ project, etc. Labs should be presenting use-cases which lead to development plans.

DH: Yes, high-level presentations to inform the WG what the labs need. However some time for detailed technical discussions is also necessary.

SH: Upgrade projects and new construction are the source of funds development efforts.

AJ: Next meeting next week, need to keep up with status since not long until Freeze.