Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wed., Dec. 2nd, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
JHPDA Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee Meeting
Learn about DPAC’s committee and initiatives. Open to all!
When: Mon., Nov. 23rd, 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Dionna Williams
JHPDA Internationals Committee Meeting
Learn about and help plan future internationally-themed events. Open to all!
When: Tues., Nov. 24th, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe (near Einstein’s Bagels)
Contact: Beth Zucconi
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
IN BRIEF: Play intramural sports with fellow postdocs!
Interested in meeting fellow postdocs in a casual, sports setting? The JHPDA invites you to play co-ed basketball (Tuesdays starting 12/01) or dodgeball (Wednesdays starting 12/02) at the Cooley Center this winter season!
Games are 1h long and are held at either 6:30, 7:30, or 8:30 pm. The season runs for ~8 weeks and two female players are required on the court at all times.
Sign up here by Tuesday, November 17th!
Cost: $200 team fee (dodgeball) or $330 (basketball) to be split among team members. All players must be Cooley Center members -OR- purchase a short term membership for $50. Email Justin with questions.
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Diwali, Wed., Nov 18th
Join your fellow postdocs in a celebration of Diwali! Hosted by the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association.
When: Wednesday, Nov 18, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Owens Pre function Area (1st floor of Koch Cancer Research Building (CRB-2)
Questions? Email email@example.com
Thanksgiving Dessert & Coffee, Thu., Nov 19
The JHPDA Internationals Committee invites you to an afternoon Thanksgiving dessert and coffee break!
When: Thursday, Nov 19, 3:30 - 5:00 pm
Where: Greenhouse Cafe (PCTB building)
Questions? Email Beth
Shuttle Social at City Cafe, Thu., Nov 19
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures- Commercialization Academy
Want to transition from academia? Training Employment Opportunities
Details of how to apply are HERE
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Science of Learning and Gateway Sciences Symposia: Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the Sciences; JHU campus, Jan 11-12 (details & registration)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Volunteer opportunity, Hopkins Robotics Cup, Jan 30 at Homewood; multiple positions available (judges, referees, field personnel, etc., no experience necessary) Contact Margaret Strong or register here (posted 11/16)
- Information session: International internship opportunity in industry, government or academic labs; Whitaker International Program, Nov 17 (details) (posted 11/16)
- Pathways to Life Science Industry - webinars series by Keck Graduate Institute: Nov 11, Nov 20, Dec 1 (click dates to register) (posted 11/08)
- Call for healthcare business idea applications (win $150k) through OneStart, a life sciences & healthcare accelerator program; applications due Dec 1; details (posted 11/08)
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) annual meeting in San Diego, Dec 12-16; register here (posted 11/08)
- Download free booklet on marketable skills and transition to the next phase of your career (from Science Magazine; here) (posted 11/02)
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women: more information here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Academic Program Manager position, JHMI Professional and Career Development Office (details) (posted 11/16)
- Postdoctoral fellow opportunity at Johns Hopkins in vascular surgery outcomes research with Dr. Mahmoud Malas (details) (posted 11/16)
- Postdoctoral position with Dr. Harhaj to study signaling mechanisms of NF-B activation by the oncogenic human T-cell leukemia virus (details) (posted 11/02)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) fellowship or grant is accepting applications now. (Details here due Nov 15 and here due Dec 15)
- The T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open for postdoctoral fellows; preliminary letters of interest invited (details)
- Call for applications, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania & the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) (due Dec 14, details)
- Director-level position at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (due Nov 20, details)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.