Beyond Basic Genealogy; Issue 2
FALL Session 2015
INSTRUCTOR: Margaret M. Harris
Oct. 1st, 2015
I hope that by now, you have pulled your genealogy stuff out of the closet and are giving yourself the gift of a few minutes dedicated to research. You can accomplish something of significance in this area in just a few focused minutes One of my favorite articles on that topic is contained in the link on my blog, where I talk about October being a Family History Month thing. Go to the blog and click on “Older Posts”; look for Halloween icons! http://family-history-hat.blogspot.com
- Speaking of Family History Month: My Genealogy Gems arrived yesterday in my gmail account and there was a great column about the celebration of Family History Month. Now, to get your copy in your e-mail, click here: http://www.genealogycenter.org/Community/E-zine.aspx; The October issue reference # is News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 139, September 30, 2015, written by Curt Witcher.
- On the next page, you will find a survey. Please fill this out and detach at the dotted line and turn into Val, when you have finished it. No I.D. required. Comment on any question or ideas that you have pertaining to genealogy or this class, also.
TODAY, OCT 2ND IN CLASS
(Make notes on the back, then go home and think/do/!:
- Focus on Brick Wall Relative/Ancestors
- Demo on Family Tree at FamilySearch
- Genealogy Software for Your Computer: Do You Have One?_______; (yes or no). If yes, then please share the name of your program:_______________________________.
- Do you have an ancestry.com subscription?_______(yes or no); Do you have any other online subscriptions that you pay money for? Circle or comment: a.) Fold 3, b.) Genealogy Bank c.) Archives.com d.) Other?___________________________________.
- Do you have an account at FamilySearch.org? (Free)
- If you don’t have an Ancestry account, do you know of at least two places where you can use Ancestry?
- Do you have an online Family Tree? If so, is it public? What website(s) feature your family tree?
- Did you understand the discussion about “Gedcoms”? ________; Have you tried to export your genealogy data in the Gedcom format?_______.
- Do you understand and practice networking and/also called Collaboration?________
- Where do you store your family photos? If you store them in various places or ways, please share on the back of this paper.
- Where and how do you preserve and/or share family stories, anecdotes, and memories? Tell us on the back of this paper.
- Have you got family members that could “Help”! with research, digitizing pictures, organization, etc.?__________
- Is anyone in your circle willing to do a family newsletter or a blog?__________, or to help you do one?
- How free do you feel asking help from the following sources when you’re stuck? Indicate a 5 if you feel very comfortable….down to 1 if you don’t feel very comfortable in seeking help.
- e-mail teacher=moi Score (1-5)_________
- go to the Family HIstory Center Score (1-5)_________
- team up with family members Score (1-5)_________
- attend a National Genealogical Conference Score (1-5)_________
- attend a local genealogy society Score (1-5)_________
- Guess where the next NGS Conference is going to be?!!!
LINKS YOU WILL LOVE AND/OR TIPS FOR THE ADVENTUROUS SOUL.
- Go to the Cafe on Campus and eat with some folks from class.
- Take a genealogy field trip. http://www.byub.org/ancestors/records/cemetery/extra3.html
- If you want to receive genealogy tips from Val on Facebook, please let her know: or just Facebook her: Val Waldron Moreland. If you want to join a Facebook Group called Friends of NWFL Genealogy, please give your facebook name to Margaret or facebook her at Margaret Marie Harris (we have 44 in the group, now!)
- https://familysearch.org/int-std-ui-research/ (Search a place)
- Using Funeral Home Records for Genealogy Research: http://www.geneosity.com/using-funeral-home-records-for-genealogy/
- Calendar of Genealogy Events: http://eogn.wikidot.com/
- Genealogy Tip of the Day: http://genealogytipoftheday.com/
- Genetic Genealogy Tests Chart: http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/support-files/recommended-genetic-genealogy-tests.pdf
- Genealogy Blog: http://www.genealogyblog.com/
- Where to Look for Naturalization Records: http://www.germanroots.com/naturalization.html
- Creating a Memory Book in Shutterfly: http://tinyurl.com/qjk2zz2
- 5th SC Infantry: http://www.firstbullrun.co.uk/Potomac/Third%20Brigade/5th-south-carolina-infantry.html
- Free Genealogy Forms: http://www.familytreemagazine.com/freeforms
- Preserve the 1812 Pensions: https://www.preservethepensions.org/
- Look it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_County,_Alabama
- Georgia Pioneers: http://www.georgiapioneers.com/counties/countyjackson.html
- Free Family Tree Software; download is FREE-- www.myheritage.com; there is a free option for putting your tree online, BUT...
- Free Family Tree (Online): www.wikitree.com