Talk It Out Time!
When you are arguing or squabbling you will have a “Talk It Out Time!” at the steps or chair. Here you will sit side by side and you will go through the 3 steps below.
What Happens at “Talk It Out Time!”
- Each of you will think about what you did to contribute to the situation. You will stay there until you can say to each other--”I” statements that share how you contributed to the situation. If you can’t think of what you did then you need to ask your sibling for help.
- You will share how this made you feel.
- Then apologize:
- I apologize for… (Here you will share what you did.)
- Next time, I will.... Say what you will specifically do to solve the problem, so this doesn’t happen again. You can’t say, “Next time, I won’t do it again.” But you can say, “Next time, I will ask you first to borrow the toy.”
- Will you forgive me ...? Be specific--Will you forgive me for taking your toy?.