Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Johns Hopkins Medical Auxiliary Spring Meeting
Postdocs are invited to attend this free event, dinner and drinks included. Topics of discussion can be found here.
When: Thursday, June 4 at 7:00 pm
Where: Sullivan’s Steakhouse, One East Pratt Street, Suite 102, 21201
RSVP by June 1 to Carolyn Johnson
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Teaching opportunities at Hopkins
Do you wish to pursue an academic career that will involve teaching? Several programs at Hopkins offer training to graduate students and postdocs who are interested in gaining skills in curriculum design, effective teaching techniques, assessment for learners of different levels and developing educational resources.
We’re introducing a new section in our bulletin that will feature training opportunities
for current and future educators under “Teaching opportunities”. Look out for the following resources as a regular feature:
- Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - a pilot program for postdocs who want to learn to teach. Accepting applications until 6/5
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Program overview here; Teaching Academy (applications due 8/01; apply here)
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp 7/09 - 7/10
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers several graduate certificate programs and online programs in education. Details here
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping, Sat., June 6th
Hike Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park with your fellow postdocs! This 9-mile circuit hike with a summit elevation of 3,291 feet offers spectacular views and challenging rock scrambles. You also have the option to camp overnight after the hike in Big Meadows campground.
When: Saturday, June 6 (depart Baltimore at 7 am; start the hike at 10 am)
Where: Old Rag Mountain, Shenandoah National Park, Robertson, Virginia
Register: by June 4; https://goo.gl/5SU5kG
Questions? Contact Mary or Casey
More information here
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Research Presentation Club - dates through October available!
Come join the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice and receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm; dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- This week: Looking into diverse careers (6/1), Becoming the Perfect Presenter (6/3), The Power of LinkedIn (6/4 in Rangos 490)
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-107, details and registration here.
- Career Options for Diverse PhDs
- Tuesday, June 9, 3:00 - 4:30 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108, RSVP here.
- Career opportunities in the life science industry, webinar SciPhD.com
- June 10, 2015 at 12pm PDT (3pm EDT)
- Understanding Yourself and Others, and Integrating your Personality Preferences with your Interests and Values to Develop a Meaningful Individual Development Plan.
- Session 1 MBTI: Wednesday, June 10, Session 2: Strong: Monday June 15, Session 3: IDP: Wednesday, June 17
- Register here and pay by Friday June 5th, 2015 (fees refundable upon attending all 3 sessions)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here or here)
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (9/28 - 10/02; deadline 6/19; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- Applications open for The Allied Minds Fellows Program. Gain valuable exposure and acquire hands-on experience with technology scouting, diligence, market discovery and investment analysis. (deadline 6/8, details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
SCIENCE & COMMUNITY OUTREACH EVENTS
- AAAS STEM Volunteer Program (link; contact email@example.com)
- Baltimore Green Works (volunteer)
- Community outreach: Girl Scouts troop at the Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women is looking for adult volunteers. More information here, volunteering form here
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Lecturer position in Biochemistry at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC; details) (posted 4/19)
- The Foundation for Women's Wellness (FWW) Fellowship Awards (due 6/8, link)
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- Baltimore Orioles free giveaways at games - promotion schedule!
- “In session” a new original drama by Monica Lopes-Gonzalez a former postdoc and now an artistic director and adjunct faculty at Peabody institute at Hopkins. Shows May 29-June 14 at Mattin center, Homewood campus. Details here.
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.