USA Swimming Code of Conduct for Swimmers
(Modified for JSL)
The purpose of a code of conduct for swimmers is to establish a consistent expectation for swimmers’ behavior.
- I will respect and show courtesy to my teammates and coaches at all times.
- I will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all practices and meets.
- I will set a good example of behavior and work ethic for my younger teammates.
- I will be respectful of my teammates’ feelings and personal space. Swimmers who exhibit sexist, racist, homophobic, or otherwise inappropriate behavior will be faced
- I will attend all team meetings and training sessions, unless I am excused by my coach.
- I will show respect for all facilities and other property (including locker rooms) used during practices, competitions, and team activities.
- I will refrain from foul language, violence, behavior deemed dishonest, offensive, or illegal.
- If I disagree with an official’s call, I will talk with my coach and not approach the official directly.
- I will obey all of JSL Bylaws and Rules and Regulations and USA Swimming’s rules and codes of conduct.
- I understand that, if I exhibit unacceptable behavior during the course of a swim meet, I may be subject to removal from the premises by the Referee or Home Meet Director.
- I understand that, if I commit theft, willful destruction of property, or attempted or intentional bodily injury prior to, during, or after a JSL swim meet, I will be punished by suspension for at least the next two League meets and may be subject to further sanctions.
Swimmers should understand that if they violate this code of conduct, they will be subject to disciplinary action determined by their coaches, their team, and the JSL Executive Committee.
JSL Online Sportsmanship Survey Questions
Parents, Swimmers and Coaches should all be aware that JSL emphasizes good sportsmanship and has a Sportsmanship Award in each division at the end of the season. These awards are determined by the sportsmanship scores after every meet from opposing teams.
The JSL Sportsmanship Survey is completed after each meet by all teams’ Meet Directors and Head Coaches. A link to the survey will be emailed Wednesday evening. Failure to complete the survey will result in points being deducted from the team’s overall sportsmanship score.
There is some basic information collected about the meet including location, date, timeline, ending time, weather delays, etc. but only the following questions are part of the sportsmanship rating.
Below every sportsmanship question is a 1 - 5 rating scale and a comment box:
The following seven ratings are provided by both Meet Directors and Coaches:
- The opposing team's COACHES displayed good sportsmanship throughout the meet.
- The opposing team's VOLUNTEER WORKERS displayed good sportsmanship throughout the meet.
- The opposing team's SWIMMERS displayed good sportsmanship throughout the meet.
- The opposing team adhered to JSL BYLAWS & PROCEDURES without stretching boundaries to gain an unfair advantage.
- The opposing team provided a SAFE AND HEALTHY experience for our swimmers.
- The opposing team treated our team FAIRLY and RESPECTFULLY.
- The opposing team was GRACIOUS in winning/losing.
The last three ratings are provided by Meet Directors only.
- The opposing team provided their fair share of all VOLUNTEER POSITIONS.
- The opposing team treated all volunteers with COURTESY and RESPECT.
- The opposing team left their TEAM AREA clean and neat at the end of the meet.
At the end of the survey is a free form comment box: