EXHIBITION & VISUAL IDENTITY DESIGNER
Happy Family Night Market (HFNM) is looking to partner with an experienced design studio or collective to design a visual identity system and exhibition collateral (digital and print) that reflects our mission and values. This is a project-based, independent contract position, starting immediately. We are located in New York City. We are currently in the process of incorporating as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Happy Family Night Market is an annual event dedicated to celebrating the Asian diaspora through food, art, and education. The event features a food and film festival, educational workshops and panel discussions, public art installations and an art marketplace, and live and electronic music. All programs serve the mission by deepening knowledge of and engagement with Asian heritage, challenging preconceived/colonial notions of Asia, and supporting emerging Asian artists and social entrepreneurs.
Our 2018 inaugural event drew nearly 2000 attendees from word-of-mouth and organic marketing alone. We were featured in publications with wide reader/listenership including Eater, Heritage Radio, and Edible Brooklyn, and cross-promoted by our partners at UnionDocs, The Cleaver Quarterly, Print All Over Me, and Bubble_T. This year’s event will be held on July 13, 2019 at NYC’s Abrons Arts Center.
Phase I: Visual Identity System
- Lead a creative and collaborative visual design workshop with our team to identify a visual identity system that reflects our mission, values, and community.
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive style guide, including but not limited to logo, color, typography, iconography, illustrations, photography, and supporting graphics. Visual system must include implementation across multiple channels including but not limited to website, newsletter, social, print and event collateral.
- Establish and manage design schedule, deliverables, and budgets.
- Walk our team through the implementation of the style guide moving forward.
Phase II: Web & Mobile
- Lead a discovery workshop with our team to identify our immediate and long-term needs, and appropriate software solutions (eg. open source vs. proprietary CMS)
- Present design concept and basic functions via wireframe or prototyping.
- Implement new identity system; UX/UI and interaction design for web and mobile to effectively communicate HFNM’s mission, values, event information, and archives.
- Integrate e-commerce functionality for ticket purchasing and tracking.
Phase III: Exhibition Design & Printed Matter
- Design program guide, banners, wayfinding signage, badges, and all printed matter.
- Design a digital and printed map of the venue.
- Collaborate with Experience Design Director and Event Producer to identify areas for designed activation at venue for attendee engagement
- Collaborate with team to identify and design additional materials to support transmedia storytelling, including but not limited to HFNM merchandise and an editorial publication.
- You love research, development, and the creative process.
- You understand and are passionate about our mission.
- You are skilled in cross-disciplinary collaboration and project management.
- Experience in concept ideation and brand design strategy for both digital and print.
- Experience in exhibition design and materials fabrication.
- Strong multitasking skills.
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Reliable, punctual, professional.
- Adaptable, resourceful: able to work within limited time and budget.
- Extensive experience across multiple media (print, digital, interactive)
- Digital prototyping tools such as Principle are a plus!
- Analog skills such as textile design, bookmaking, and screen- or risograph printing a plus!
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your portfolio must include at least 4 examples of fully executed, commissioned projects (no spec work please). For each work sample, please share the story or design process behind the final product. Personal projects as work samples are also welcome but not required.