East Lothian Schools Orienteering Competition 2017
P5, P6 & P7 Orienteering Festival – Entries Welcome
The P5, P6 & P7 Inter-school Orienteering Festival will take place at Musselburgh Outdoor Learning Base. The Festival will be open to all Primary Schools in East Lothian.
The main aims of the Festival are to:
- Promote alternative physical activity in the outdoors
- Provide an opportunity for pupils to compete in the sport of orienteering and look to further their participation through links with local clubs
- Further increase pupils’ understanding of maps and orientation
- Provide a pathway to local/national and international orienteering events
- Have fun!
- Schools can enter P5, P6 & P7 classes
- There will be 3 different Orienteering courses suited to the ability of each class
- There will be no charge for this event - FREE
- Each school is responsible for arranging the transport of pupils to and from Musselburgh Outdoor Learning base
- Times of each student to complete their course can vary considerably (the average time from arriving till leaving for a class of 30 will be about an hour)
- There will be no tuition on the day and it is expected participating students will have received tuition in their school grounds or similar
- Before or after the Orienteering Event schools can avail of other opportunities in the immediate vicinity of Musselburgh OL base- e.g. Orienteering warm up activities (staffed by Outdoor Learning) or Playground, Coastal walks – these should be fully organised and supervised by attending school staff
- The winner of the fastest P5 pupil, P6 pupil, P7pupil, School will be announced after the event – with trophies!
- To enter please email Martyn (email@example.com) with: name of the school, Number and year group of pupils and the organizing adult that will be attending as soon as possible. A more detailed list of individual pupil names will be requested closer to the event.
We look forwarding to welcoming all schools
Arrival times 1st June 2017
No. of pupils
Member of staff
Pinkie St Peters
Pinkie St Peters
Each 15 minute block will accommodate approx 30 individual competitors (or 60 pairs)
P5 advised to compete in pairs
P6 and P7 encouraged to compete solo but at discretion of teacher