MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

04.18.16 at 7 pm – 25 N. Beech

BOD Approved on 05.16.16

  1. Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; Julie Suckla, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Kathy Stemmler, Member; JenniLynn Lawrence, Member; Susan Likes, Financial Director/I-HOS

Absent from BOD: Chad Fish, Treasurer

Staff: Caitlin Munroe, Lindsay Wilwol

Community Members: Alexia Hudson, CHD; Angie Seely, PTO President

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Nate

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Kathy S.

  1. Approval of the 03.21.16 minutes: JenniLynn moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Approval of Agenda: Kathy S. moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded.  Discussion: add the following to the agenda: VIII.d.iii - Review academic calendar.  Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. Alexia Hudson shared the following with the board:
  1. The MOU document will be edited and uploaded to Google drive.
  2. The Health Fair was a great event.  Alexia learned to trust the process.
  3. Field trip procedures at CH - permission slips for each field trip and a webinar for any drivers.
  4. School Calendar:  Alexia asked that E/M S consider starting at the same time as Re1, primarily due to staff training (Alpine, STAR, KinderGold, etc.) that the district holds prior to their first week of school.  She also expressed concern regarding adequate cooling in August and poor attendance if we go into June.
  5. School schedule: encouraged adequate work cycle(s) and free/unstructured outdoor play.
  6. Noted that there needs to be more intervention based off of math scores, not just intervention from reading scores.

  1. Staff Comments
  1. Ms. Caitlin expressed support for continued field trips, regardless of transportation, and spoke of the importance of being in the community.  Caitlin also expressed an importance of solidifying the quality of our program rather than a focus on the quantity of enrollment.

  1. Reports:

  1. PTO - Angie Seeley (no report uploaded)
  1. Field Trips
  1. Parent Drivers
  1. Some parents are uncomfortable having their children transported by other drivers while others are uncomfortable transporting additional students.
  1. Notification / Permission Slips
  1. It is imperative that parents are well informed of field trips prior to them taking place.
  2. Consider having permission slips sent out prior to each field trip.
  1. Supervision for Wednesday Clubs
  1. Prior issue surrounding proper supervision has been resolved.
  2. Our students are expected to exhibit appropriate school behavior at all school supported events.
  3. Continue the conversation about appropriate behavior with our children at home.
  1. Discipline Policy needs to be applied consistently
  1. Angie read an email from a concerned parent regarding inconsistency in the Discipline Policy and expressed concern for the safety our of staff and students.
  1. Nate will follow-up with the concerned parent.
  1. SAC
  1. How do we accurately communicate data to the parents?
  2. SAC meetings are always open to the public and parents are encouraged to attend.

  1. BOD President - Nate
  1. Discuss transportation policy for field trips
  1. Ms. Lindsay shared the difficulty of acquiring district transportation.
  2. Susan will check with our insurance company to clarify what is required for coverage concerning volunteers transporting students.

  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee
  1. Report (no report) - no discussion

  1. Interim Head of School - Susan
  1. Report
  2. Update on staffing for 2016-17
  3. Review academic calendar
  1. Lengthy discussion surrounding overall goals of calendar.  Are we trying to achieve more days of attendance?  More hours attended?  More PD days?
  2. Comparison of our calendar to that of surrounding schools.
  3. The board agreed that our staff needs to be available to attend trainings provided by Re1.
  4. Susan will rework the calendar focusing specially on PD for our staff.

  1. Finance Director - Susan
  1. Report - no discussion

  1. Nominations Committee Report - Julie
  1. New Member Application
  1. Kathy Clark submitted her application for the board and also interviewed with the board on 04.18.16.
  2. Julie moved to nominate Kathy Clark to the E/M S BOD to fill a vacant position; this seat will expire in 2018, at which point it can be considered for renewal.  Motion seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.
  3. Julie will contact Kathy Clark regarding her nomination.

  1. New Business
  1. Julie uploaded and distributed a draft Annual Calendar for the board.
  2. Kathy S - update on HOS search:
  1. Kathy has continued to advertise the position.
  2. We have received three more applications which have been passed on to the Hiring Committee for review.
  3. The potential candidate that interviewed with us last month has yet to accept a second interview.
  1. As requested by a parent, JenniLynn presented the Courthouse on Mildred and Empire for consideration for a future facility for our school.
  1. The Building and Location Committee will look further into the presented facility.
  1. Nate and/or Tamia will provide a BOD update for the Kiva Kids Weekly Newsletter.

  1. Shared Board Information
  1. Reminder: All committee reports should be circulated to committee members for comments and input prior to submission to the Board(s).

  1. Calendaring – BOD President
  1. Upcoming events
  1. See Kiva Kids Weekly Newsletter
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. Monday, May 16, 2016 at 6:30 pm

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
  1. See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items for 03.21.16
  1. Development Committee: Create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”.
  2. Julie: Contact Durango Charter.
  3. Tamia: create a calendar for the two boards.
  4. Kathy: post the HOS position with Adam State.
  5. Board: review and comment on the MOU document.
  6. JenniLynn: review the HOS and FD job descriptions.

  1. Review all Action Items – Tamia
  1. Next Montessori Moment – Kathy S.
  2. Nate will follow-up with the concerned parent regarding our Discipline Policy.
  3. Susan will check with our insurance company to clarify what is required for coverage concerning volunteers transporting students.
  4. Susan will rework the calendar focusing specially on PD for our staff.
  5. Julie will contact Kathy Clark regarding her nomination.
  6. The Building and Location Committee will look further into the presented facility.
  7. Nate and/or Tamia will provide a BOD update for the Kiva Kids Weekly Newsletter.

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s)
  1. Nominations Committee: Swear In Kathy Clark - May
  2. Facilities Layout for 2016-2017 - TBD
  3. Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2017-18 school year.  Talk with Karleen Walton. – August 2015
  4. Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
  5. Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD

  1. Adjournment: Nate moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 9:19 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of