BOARD RETREAT NOTES
Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Retreat
Friday, January 06, 2017 at 8:30 am
Sophia Retreat and Event Center--19581 Road 31, Dolores
All board members were in attendance: Nate Seeley, President; Julie Suckla, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Kathy Clark, Member; Stacey Weyand, Member; Kelli Jackson, Member
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Nate
Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) - Julie
- Board Meeting Efficiency
- This is one thing that we really owe to the school and to each other.
- Keep “new business” under “new business”.
- Do not engage in side conversations.
- Board President ensures agenda is followed and keeps the meeting on track.
- Setting up the physical environment
- 3 rectangle tables
- Julie, Chad, Stacey: donate 6 ft. tables
- Tamia: make place cards
- Committee List Updates
- Stacey and Kathy: discuss the Mission, Vision, Culture Committee with Shamai.
- Chad: follow-up with potential Finance Committee and/or board member.
- Tamia and Chad: discuss joint board membership with CH BOD at their retreat.
- Executive Committee will meet annually prior to the annual board retreat.
- Committee Guiding Documents
- Stand alone document for each committee that outlines the description and general goals
- Tamia: create a template for each committee to use.
- Resource: Bylaws
- General Review of Policies
- What is our obligation to inform Re1 of policies being created/reviewed?
- Kelly: look into the logistics of involving Re1 in our policies.
- Board: update and approve current policies (use link on our websites).
- Julie: contact Jessica Johnson regarding policy questions and availability of training(s) concerning policies.
- External networking to improve school & board function (annual ask)
- Each board member should take more initiative on reaching out.
- Document external networking via board reports and on a spreadsheet.
- Tamia: create an External Networking spreadsheet.
- Tamia: add External Networking to agenda template.
- Julie: Include External Networking on our Board Annual Evaluation.
- Julie: follow-up with the CLC regarding rural regional meetings.
- Annual Board Calendar
- Julie: find out what we need to do for our application renewal.
- Stacey: follow-up with Susan concerning insurance; specifically for Kindergarten students and their transportation to our school.
- Tamia: include BOD Task Calendar on the agenda.
- Board: who will attend the CLC conference? Everyone look at their availability.
- Julie: update Committee List with dates of board membership.
- Updates on legislative changes/ policies (Someone assigned to monitor/report)
- Julie will take the lead on keeping the board informed.
- Job descriptions & letters of hire
- Nate: contact JenniLynn regarding an updated HOS Job Description.
- Chad: contact Kathy S. regarding an updated HOS Job Description.
- Building and Location updates
STRATEGIC PLAN (on Google—to share with participants has several examples)
- Use SWOT analysis (Training Module—Strategic Planning with narration reduced)
- Charter application guiding the school intentionally
- UIP collaboration
- Formal system for data collection
- Adopt use of a dashboard
- How will this be measured and held accountable
- Begin with Vision and Mission
- What are the goals to make sure we accomplish our vision and mission?
- List of board responsibilities:
- See notes of Sp Brainstorm on the Drive.
- Continue discussion at our next board meeting
- Long term budget planning
- Engage teachers and community
- Succession plan for administration
- HR checklist for employee files and a policy on record retention (Susan)
- Professional development plan linked to board evaluations—board modules and conferences
- CKMS BOD Self-Evaluation 2015 (not done for 2016)
- Joint Board membership
- Board of Directors Binder
- Digital/Hard Copies
- Include policy on professionalism
- Nominations and Board Development Committee: prepare BOD Self-Evaluation.
- Tamia: add BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter to the agenda template.
XI. Review action items
XII. Next Meeting--January 23, 2016 6:30pm 18 N. Beech
- Agenda Items:
- Strategic Plan
- Contingency Plan
- Emergency Communication Plan
- Adopt the HOS and FD Evaluations
- Approve all existing policies