JOB DESCRIPTION, June, 2017
PURPOSE: The Organist/Pianist is designed to provide organ/piano music for worship services and other church functions including weddings and funerals and take part in the welcoming environment that reflects our inclusive values as a United Church of Christ Congregation.
HOURS: This position requires both weekly Sunday Worship services 8:30 AM and 10:30 AM as well as extra services such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve. Also attend Wednesday night Chancel Choir rehearsals Wednesday evenings September-May. Work is completed in and around the church, part time as needed. Must be able to spend several hours sitting, standing, walking, reaching and bending over. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds. Must be available on weekends, evenings and holidays as needed for events.
COMPENSATION: $80.00 per hour, average 3-4 hours weekly year round.
(Approximately $12,500 annually)
TIME OFF: 4 unpaid Sundays per year ( 8 services)
SAFE CHURCH TRAINING: As part of our church’s commitment to the best practices for the care and safety of all children, a background check is required and Safe Church Training is provided.
EQUIPMENT PROVIDED: Organ Description:3-manual pipe organ with 33 ranks of pipes
(Refurbished by Berghaus Pipe Organ Builders in 2011)
Description of Pianos: Kawai grand piano & Kawai electric
- Be present and perform for the required hours
- Provide organ and/or piano accompaniment for the congregation and choir during Sunday morning worship and at choir rehearsals.
- If requesting vacation, a minimum of one month’s notice is required and notice is give to a member of the personnel committee.
- When ill, will be responsible for notifying Music Director at the earliest possible time when illness prevents fulfillment of the obligation. The Music Director will be responsible for notifying the person in charge of the event requiring music.
- If it is for a Sunday Service, the Music Director will adjust music if needed and notify the minister.
- Provide organ/piano music for weddings and funerals and be permitted to receive additional compensation for these additional services by the outside contracted services.
- Will report immediately any problems, repairs, or maintenance needed on the organ or piano to the music committee.
- Is responsive to returning communication within 24 hours to anyone requesting an answer using emails, phone numbers/texts that have been provided to the church.
- Submits time sheets to Office Administrator according to bi-monthly payroll schedule.
- A high school diploma
- Demonstrate proficiency and professional competence in organ and piano performance
- Knowledge of liturgical worship
- Skills in leadership and organization
- Experience and skill in working with varied people
Email your resume and cover letter to Rev. Dr. Lillian Daniel, Senior Pastor email@example.com