Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
Communications Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, Oct. 14, 11:00 am
Where: Ross/MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Nick Puts
Internationals Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, Oct 28, 12:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone cafe
Contact: Thibault Mauxion
Future JHPDA Events
Lecture by Nancy Thornberry
Who: Nancy Thornberry (LinkedIn)
When: Thursday, Nov. 13, 11 am
Where: PCTB, Room 517
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Postdoc Research Retreat
Save the date for the 2nd annual event! More details forthcoming.
When: Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Where: Turner Concourse, Hopkins East Baltimore Campus
Stay tuned for more events!
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Jeff Norris
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Nick Puts
International: Thibault Mauxion and Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy: Kirsten Block
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Yuejin Li
Socials: Justin La Favor
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
New JHPDA Meetup.com Group
JHPDA has created a Meetup.com group for postdocs interested in attending smaller local events around Baltimore, such as concerts, art walks, happy hours, museums, and other happenings. Go to Meetup.com, create a profile, and join the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association Meetup Group. Receive emails about weekly events other JHPDA members are attending or create your own meetup for an event you want to attend.
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, & anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Do you or would you ride your bicycle to work but refrain due to dangerous conditions and lack of bike lanes?
There have been conversations and support from the deans of SPH/SOM to improve the safety of Hopkins cyclists. Sign this petition to show your support. More info here.
Get your Flu Shot!
Click here for more information on times and dates.
Fall Telling Stories about Science Events
- Wednesday, Oct. 15: Randy Olson
- Wednesday, Nov. 5: Peter Agre
Where: Wood Basic Science Bldg. Aud.
More details here
Hopkins School of Medicine
Evenings at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
6:00 - 7:00 pm Arrival and ticket pick-up
7:00 - 8:30 pm Concert
8:30 - 9:00 pm Q&A session
9:00 - 10:00 pm Dinner reception
Events (click the below links for details):
Saturday, Oct 25, 2014 @ 7pm - R. Strauss' Ein Heldenleben
Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015 @ 7pm - Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
Sexual Assault Reporting
The Johns Hopkins University has launched a new resource, a website for Sexual Assault Response & Prevention. This website features policies, procedures, FAQs, training resources, and emergency contact information. See full announcement here.
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins.]
IN BRIEF: Faculty Searches Get a Facelift
Are you currently applying for a research faculty position? Do you plan to apply for a research faculty position in the near future, but think you should wait until you get enough data for a Nature, Science, or Cell paper? If yes, then you need to stop and read this commentary by Rachel Bernstein (click here).
Given the increased number of highly qualified applicants for a limited number of research faculty positions, search committees are now using a variety of alternative evaluation strategies to choose the best candidate. To reduce the number of on-site interview invitations, search committees now use video conference interviews (i.e., Skype) in their initial evaluation process. These interviews give the committee a better idea of whether the applicant is truly ready to establish and lead a cutting-edge research laboratory. While publications in high impact journals are looked upon favorably by committees, they are also interested in whether the applicant possesses softer people skills. Demonstration of these skills suggest how effective a student mentor and a collaborative member of the department the applicant will become.
Several key points:
- Start applying early.
- Articulate the significance of your work, unpublished work, future plans, and personal stories in your cover letter.
- Practice for your video conference interview.
- Demonstrate your softer people skills.
- Define how you and your research strengthen the goals and mission of the department.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Family Fun Night at Port Discovery, Fri. Oct. 17th
Bring your family and explore exciting hands-on exhibits while meeting other postdocs with kids. Feel free to bring snacks for your children.
When: Friday, Oct 17th, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Where: Port Discovery Children’s Museum (www.portdiscovery.org), 35 Market Place; meet just inside the lobby in front of the ticket windows
Travel: Metro (Shot Tower/Market Place) or Charm City Circulator bus (Orange Route, Stop 201 or Green Route, Stop 116); attached parking garage also available
Who: Postdocs & their families; exhibits are appropriate for ages infant - 10 years
Cost: $2 per person (kids under age 2 are free)
RSVP: Nick Guydosh (email@example.com)
Hindi Movie Night, Mon., Oct. 20th
The JHPDA International Committee invites you to Hindi Movie night featuring:
Come enjoy the songs, dance, and drama of Bollywood and get nostalgic about your college days!
When: Monday, Oct. 20th, 6:00 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, Room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Café).
Food: Popcorn, ice cream, and drinks provided; feel free to also bring your own dinner, if you like!
Celebrate Diwali 2014, Thurs., Oct. 30th
Join the JHPDA in celebrating the Indian “Festival of Lights,” Diwali!
Free Indian food and drinks provided!
When: Thursday, Oct. 30th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Ross/MRB Daily Grind
Career Advice for Postdoctoral fellows, Thurs., Nov. 13th
An opportunity for postdocs to get career advice from visiting scientist, Nancy Thornberry, an Independent Consultant in the pharmaceutical industry.
When: Thursday, Nov. 13th, 11:00 am
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, Room 517
For the event flyer, click here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
One hour Lunch-and-Learn
This fall, on Wednesdays during your lunch break, come discuss important topics that would leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction.
Register here (for headcount purposes only)
- 10/15: Government Jobs (PCTB, Room G18/G19)
- 10/23: Looking Into Diverse Careers (Fall Research Leadership Module; PCTB, Room 113/114)
- 10/29: The Power of LinkedIn (PCTB, Room 113/114)
- 11/05: Introvert? Extravert? Using Your Strengths (PCTB, Room 113/114)
Fall 2014 Research Leadership for Postdocs (lunchtime modules)
When: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30pm
Where: 1830 Building, classroom 2-108 (unless otherwise noted, below)
- 10/21: Focus on your future, Academic Job Search Panel
- 10/23: Diverse Careers in Science, Career Transitions
- 10/28: Networking
- 10/30: Promotion and Tenure, Reward and Recognition
- 11/04: Mentoring
- 11/11: Building and Managing Teams (3 hours)
- 11/13: Inclusive Excellence; Hot-Button Issues in the Workplace
- 11/18: Working within Your Organization
- 12/02: Managing Research Funds, Faculty Panel
- 12/04: Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
- 12/09: Time Management
- 12/11: Project Management (3 hours)
Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office Events (Fall 2014)
Fall 2014 event details for SPH postdocs, including event descriptions, locations, RSVP links can be found on the Career Services Office website.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10/16: "Access to Experts" Information Session: Cardno ChemRisk
- 10/16: "Access to Experts" Information Session: American Institutes for Research
- ...more November events coming soon!
Professional Development Module Program courses offered by the Center for Leadership Education in the Whiting School of Engineering. Click here and here for details.
- The Thrasher Research Fund: Early Career Awards (concept submissions due 9/12; proposal submissions due 10/24, link)
- Publicizing Basic Science Contest - $500 prizes (deadline 10/20, link)
- The Neuro Challenge (deadline 10/31, flyer link, website link)
- Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (due 11/03, link)
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs (due 11/15, link)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
SCIENCE & COMMUNITY OUTREACH EVENTS
- Conference on Networking, Education and Career Training (CONNECT), (10/17, 10am-3pm, link)
- Speakers Bureau Training Session (11/7, 9am-12pm, 1101 East 33rd, B103; link, contact Nona@mbrt.org)
- AAAS STEM Volunteer Program (link; contact: email@example.com)
- Baltimore Green Works (volunteer)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Recent additions listed below.
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Equity Research Fellow (link)
- Research Opportunities in Europe for NSF-funded postdocs (link)
- International Opportunity: Scientific Instrumentation (link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Scientific Grants Manager (link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
- Baltimore Farmer's Market, Sundays (underneath the Jones Falls overpass) Expressway on Saratoga Street between Holliday and Gay Street)
- Thursday Nights at the Walters, FREE art exhibits every Thurs., 5-9pm
Local Events in Baltimore City
Local Events Outside Baltimore City
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or here.