Flautas or Taquitos
2 cups chicken-style TVP strips, such as Butler Soy Curls
3 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, minced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon all-purpose or chickpea flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 (7-inch) corn tortillas[NK1] and 8 (7-inch) flour tortillas, or 16 of either
½ cup shredded vegan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F.
2. Heat the TVP and the vegetable broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the TVP to sit for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the broth. Roughly chop the TVP.
3. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Stir and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
4. Add the TVP to the pan and sauté until the TVP is golden.
5. Add the flour to the TVP, stir well, and add the reserved broth. Cook until thick. Season well with salt and black pepper. Remove from heat.
6. Wrap the tortillas in paper towels and heat in the microwave until warm and pliable, about 30 seconds. Alternatively, heat the tortillas individually on the stove right before rolling them. Lightly oil a sheet pan.
7. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling on each tortilla toward the middle. Sprinkle a little cheese on top of the filling. Roll the tortillas into a cigar shape and place them securely next to one another, seam side down, on the sheet pan. Spray the tops of the tortillas with cooking spray.
8. Bake the rolled tortillas for about 15 minutes or until crisp, turning each one a quarter turn after 5 minutes. Serve with vegan sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
© 2011 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.