Aloha and Welcome to How To Teach Online!
Welcome to How To Teach Online 2013, a massive, open, online course (MOOC). Opening day is Monday, September 2, 2013.
Here are some key details:
- Getting Started: The first week of this course is designed to help you get off to good start by becoming more familiar with the online environment, the tools we will be using, and the content. We suggest you begin by reviewing:
- Get prepared
- How to Connect Your Blog
- How to Create an Artifact
- How to Post to the “Community Wall”
- Your Blog: A primary tool for interacting in the workshop will be blogs. We’re hoping that every participant has set up their own blogging space. If for some reason you haven’t setup your blog, there are many options available. We recommend Edublogs, WordPress.com, Google’s Blogger, or one that you host yourself.
- If you already have a blog you can choose to use it for this workshop. Here are the instructions: How to Connect Your Blog.
- If you are unfamiliar with blogs, please review the resources on The Blog Challenge and join our blog webinars with Sue Waters from Edublogs
- The “Community Wall”: If you do not want to use a blog you can post directly to the “Community Wall”. Here are the directions for How to Post to the “Community Wall”.
- Webinars: Each week we will be offering a number of wicked Webinars using Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing. Please review the Getting Started with Blackboard Collaborate before you attend your first webinar.
- tomooc news: On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (HST) we will send you an email with the latest posts from the “Community Wall”.
- Letter of Completion: If you intend to earn a Letter of Completion please read the Levels of Participation.
- Week 0 Webinars:
- Tuesday, September 3rd, from 1 pm - 2 pm, Hawaii Standard Time (HST) (World Clock) will will offer an orientation for the course. Join our orientation session with a few of your course facilitators: Greg Walker, Rachael Inake, and Brent Hirata. We will be answering any questions you may have about the course or setting up and creating your blogs. Bring your questions and join us in the Blackboard Collaborate room: http://goo.gl/3s3lV
- Tuesday, September 3rd, from 3 pm - 4 pm Hawaii Standard Time (HST) (World Clock), Sue Waters, the Support Manager of Edublogs, will introduce blogging, and tell you what you really need to know about blogging to get the most out of How to Teach Online (tomooc).
- Introduce Yourself: After you have set up and connected your blog, please post an introduction. Tell us a bit about yourself and why you are taking this course.
- Invite Your Friends & Colleagues: There is still time to invite your friends and colleagues to join the MOOC! Here is the registration link for you to share: How To Teach Online Registration
We look forward to connecting, learning, and building our community together.
Your tomooc Facilitators