Thank you so much for volunteering to be a Room Parent! It is a very rewarding job.
1st MONTH OF SCHOOL
- Each teacher is different and has unique preferences and requirements. FIND EMAIL HERE.
- Create class directory (if teacher asks)
- Email Your Classroom Parents
- Introduce yourself & How to communicate with you best.
- Upcoming classroom events and volunteer opportunities.
- If desired, solicit funds up-front for all gifts thru the year. Suggested: $50/family ($10/family per gift)
THROUGHOUT THE YEAR:
- SCHEDULE (NOT PLAN!) PARTIES & EVENTS
- Most teachers have party volunteer signups. Get copies of these parties/names/emails.
- 3-4 weeks before holiday, find out from teacher the best day/time.
- EMAIL the parents that signed up the date/time, and let them know it's up to them to plan.
- Check in with the teacher to see if extra help/supplies are needed; email families.
- GIFTS (BDAY, WINTER HOLIDAY, STAFF APPRECIATION (Teacher & Adopted), END of the YEAR)
- STAFF BDAY CALENDAR HERE | STAFF FAVORITES LIST HERE
- Recognize homeroom teacher / student teacher / aides birthdays, winter holidays, and the end of the school year with gifts. Always include everyone in the gifts, even if not all families donate toward gifts. Communicate with parents what you are doing with money they have donated.
- STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK (S.A.W.)
First week of May
- ROOM PARENTS
Responsible for 2 people … TEACHER & ADOPTED STAFF MEMBER.
Read more at: STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK HOW TO | ADOPTED STAFF LIST
- S.A.W. COMMITTEE
Organize daily luncheons & communicates the “schedule” to the Hopi community. We are very open to volunteers who want to help with the whole school (decor, food, etc).
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Some teachers may have made a classroom directory, or they may ask you to make one. If you make one, be sure to get parents’ permission to share with the rest of the class.
- Share the link above with your class. If you don't see your teacher/staff member, please let us know at email@example.com or ask your teacher to fill it out online at hopipta.com/staffsurvey.
- COLLECT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR
Rather than collecting on a per-item basis, many room parents like to collect funds up-front for gifts throughout the year. This might include teacher bday, winter gift, staff appreciation week gift, and end of the year gift. ** TIP ** It’s easy and free to send money with Paypal! Sometimes it’s easier to collect money from some parents if you offer the option.
- SUGGESTED ... NOT REQUIRED
Remember you can suggest/request, but not require, and that all families must be included in gifts, regardless of their participation in donations. Keep good records, and keep families updated about how you are spending the funds they have donated. Suggested Amount: $50/family ($10/family per gift)
We really appreciate your dedication to our terrific Hopi staff! Here’s to a great year!
Created 2016-17 by Melissa Darnall Page