Ms. Besecker’s Syllabus
*Two basic rights and responsibilities exist in this classroom. They are:
- --Everyone has a right to a healthy and safe learning environment.
- --No one has the right to interfere with the teaching and learning.
- The following set of rules are derived from these two basic rights and responsibilities:
- 1. Be in your seat and be ready to work when the bell rings to start class.
- 2. Must not be out of your seat without permission.
- 3. No food or drinks (except bottled water) are to be consumed in the classroom.
- 4. Foul language will not be tolerated in class.
- 5. Be respectful of all adults and students.
- 6. Name calling or any threatening/bullying behavior will not be tolerated.
- 7. Hats and sunglasses are not allowed to be worn.
- 8. Cell phones are not allowed to be used in class - even for charging purposes.
- 9. Music is not to be listened to unless approved by the teacher.
- 10. All school rules and district policies will be enforced.
Attendance and Absences:
Your regular attendance is crucial for your success in this class. Excessive absences can interfere with participation, discussion, notes, etc., which can hurt your grade. If absence is unavoidable, I do maintain an extensive website that can always be used for helpful references (helpful videos, notes, etc.) and to obtain assignments for that day. If absent on test day, you will be required to test on your first day back to class.
Do not be tardy to class. It is considered a tardy if you are not seated in your assigned seat, working on the warm-up, when the bell rings.
Class Materials (Daily)
- Chromebook (or other laptop) - fully charged and ready to use when bell rings. (bring charger)
- Pencils, pens, highlighters, etc.
- A notebook for note-taking
- sometimes notes can be taken on your device, but not always.
- Notecards - *recommended* - helpful for studying
- Classroom Policy on Electronic Devices:
- All devices used in the classroom setting must be used for an academic purpose.
- Cell phones must be on silent at all times. If a device is seen or heard outside of a designated usage time, I reserve the right to confiscate the item. To use it without my permission constitutes a violation of the school’s electronic communication policy.
- Headphones are to be used on granted permission only. Keep headphones in your backpack at all times unless stated otherwise by your teacher!
- When in doubt, ask your teacher, so that your device does not get confiscated!
- Notes are done at home using videos as homework but worth ASSESSMENT points (Engage, Explore, Explain and Apply). Completion will be worth 3pts on time(next day) and 1pt late(end of period) in the assessment category.
- Practice will be done in class and finished for homework in addition to Video Notes if not completed. The scores for this will be counted in the practice category which is extra credit(see grading policy)
- Late work will be accepted for partial credit(at teachers discretion and depended on how late)
- If late plan on getting at most 80% credit
- Practice Assignments will be available for approximately 1 month, after this time students must request reassignment and it is at the teacher’s discretion to reassign
Assessment (Test/Quiz) Policy
- Assessments will be based on homework and lecture
- Module/Unit Assessment- Given within a Unit of study; for mastery of concepts.
- Can still turn in late work for partial credit until the practice assignment is not longer available.
- Benchmark Assessments- Given after multiple units
- Students receiving 59% or below MUST redo/retest
- Within 2 weeks after a grade is handed out
- Must have all homework/missing assignments turned in prior to redo/retest
- Must have filled out Error Analysis Form on separate piece of paper
The grading for this class will be the traditional grading system. We will be using a rewards based system instead of the traditional punitive system. 100% of the grade will be based on an average of all assessment and performance task scores. Practice/Homework will be assigned and collected but will be extra credit. An average of all homework scores will be used to earn up to 10 percentage points which will be added in at the end of each semester.
Note: Even though the practice is extra credit, the expectation is that you will do it on a consistent basis.
- 100% Assessment
- Extra credit up to 10% of completed practice, homework, participation, etc.
- To agree to terms and conditions fill out the form and tell me a little about yourself :)