Integrated Math 2 Syllabus 2016-2017
Ms. Besecker - Rm. B207
*Two basic rights and responsibilities exist in this classroom. They are:
- --Everyone has a right to a healthy and safe learning environment.
- --No one has the right to interfere with the teaching and learning.
- The following set of rules are derived from these two basic rights and responsibilities:
- 1. Be in your seat and be ready to work when the bell rings to start class.
- 2. Must not be out of your seat without permission.
- 3. No food or drinks (except bottled water) are to be consumed in the classroom.
- 4. Foul language will not be tolerated in class.
- 5. Be respectful of all adults and students.
- 6. Name calling or any threatening/bullying behavior will not be tolerated.
- 7. Hats and sunglasses are not allowed to be worn.
- 8. Cell phones are not allowed to be used in class - even for charging purposes.
- 9. Music is not to be listened to unless approved by the teacher.
- 10. All school rules and district policies will be enforced.
Attendance and Absences:
Your regular attendance is crucial for your success in this class. Excessive absences can interfere with participation, discussion, notes, etc., which can hurt your grade. If absence is unavoidable, I do maintain an extensive website that can always be used for helpful references (helpful videos, notes, etc.) and to obtain assignments for that day. If absent on test day, you will be required to test on your first day back to class.
Do not be tardy to class. It is considered a tardy if you are not seated in your assigned seat, working on the warm-up, when the bell rings.
Class Materials (Daily)
- Chromebook (or other laptop) - fully charged and ready to use when bell rings. (bring charger)
- Pencils, pens, highlighters, etc. All items to be graded must be done in pencil.
- A notebook for note-taking
- sometimes notes can be taken on your device, but not always. NOTEBOOK IS MANDATORY
- Notecards - *recommended* - helpful for studying
- Classroom Policy on Electronic Devices:
- All devices used in the classroom setting must be used for an academic purpose.
- Cell phones must be on silent at all times. If a device is seen or heard outside of a designated usage time, I reserve the right to confiscate the item. To use it without my permission constitutes a violation of the school’s electronic communication policy.
- Headphones are to be used on granted permission only. Keep headphones in your backpack at all times unless stated otherwise by your teacher!
- When in doubt, ask your teacher, so that your device does not get confiscated!
- Homework must be labeled with your name, date, period, and assignment. If your homework does not contain these items, it will not be accepted for credit.
- The assignment is neat and orderly, every problem is complete and all work must be shown.
- All homework assigned will be given two days to complete unless an alternate due date is given by the instructor. After two days, the assignment is considered late unless prior approval is given by instructor.
- Late homework will be given full credit for excused absences if submitted in a timely manner.
- Late work turned in by the assessment day will be given partial credit up to 90%. 1 point loss (10%) for every day late down to 4 points (40%).
- No late work for credit will be accepted beyond the assessment day.
Signature assessments will be administered throughout each unit and the quantity and frequency will be determined by the concept being taught. Signature assessments are eligible for retesting. Merced Union High School District performance tasks will be administered quarterly and are NOT eligible for retesting.
The grading for this class will be somewhat different from the traditional grading system. We will be using a rewards based system instead of the traditional punitive system. 100% of the grade will be based on an average of all assessment and performance task scores. Homework will be assigned and collected but will be extra credit. An average of all homework scores will be used to earn up to 10 percentage points which will be added in at the end of each semester.
Note: Even though the homework is extra credit, the expectation is that you will do it on a consistent basis.
Example of grading: Student has an average of 80% on assessment and performance task scores and has completed 95% of homework.
95% homework = 9.5 percentage points extra credit.
Semester grade = 80% + 9.5% = 89.5%. This would round to an B.
- Students receiving 59% or below MUST redo/retest.
- Redo/Retest must be taken within 2 weeks after a grade is handed out.
- Student must have all missing assignments turned in prior to redo/retest.
- Student must fill out an Error Analysis Form in order to redo/retest. (Form is on website)
100 -- 90 A
89 -- 75 B
74 -- 60 C
59 -- 50 D
49 -- 0 F