03/03 2018 Inter Mountain Tournament Announcement (right click and open in a new tab)
Inter-mountain College, University, Trade & Technical School Chess Team & Reserve Championship Feb. 25th 2017 at University of Utah Student Union
● Date/Times/Location: Saturday, 25 February 9:30AM to about 6:00PM (adjusted if 4 rounds), Student Union, University of Utah (U of U), Salt Lake City, Utah (free parking North Side lot of Student Union) Check with Union Information desk for playing room location.
Right click link above and open in new tab
National Chess Day 2016 Championship
October 8, 2016 @ West High School, SLC
The West High Chess Club is happy to present the National Chess Day 2016 Championship at West High School (241 North 300 West, Salt Lake City, UT. 84103) on October 8, 2016. Everyone is invited to participate!
There will be 2 separate statewide chess tournaments held in West High School on Oct. 8:
(1) The 2016 Scholastic Kickoff
(2) National Chess Day Marathon of Chess
The Scholastic Kickoff is for Kindergarten to 12th grade students, and the Marathon of Chess is for both kids and adults. The registration fee is $15 before October 1, 2016.
You can go to one of the following sites to obtain info and register for either one of the two tournaments -
Right click link above and open in new tab
There are lots of trophies and prizes.
The University Chess Club does not have a Union room scheduled on October 13th for meeting during the break. If people want to come & play, they can play in another part of the Union. However, there may not be free parting on the Northside of the Building on October 13th.
There is a football game on Thursday September 1 and parking may not be available for the chess club. Also, the tracks may be crowded.
Utah Collegiate Chess Team & Reserve Championship Feb. 20th 2016 at BYU
● Date/Times/Location: Saturday, 20 February 9:30AM to about 6:00PM, Room 3252, Wilkinson Student Center, Brigham Young University (BYU) Provo, Utah (free parking center’s visitor lot).
● Directions: Interstate 15 to Provo; exit on University Parkway going east toward the mountains & BYU, at 900 East turn right, at 1100 North turn right leading to visitor parking lot at Wilkinson Center
● Format: School's Top 3 players play in team section for team trophies & individual honors. Substitutions are permissible (e.g. someone has to go to work or has other plans conflicting with round(s)). Reserve section for players not playing on a team.
● Eligibility: Must have current activity card: i.e. enrolled in fall semester and/or spring semester in college, university, business, technical/trade and graduate school in 2015-2016 school year. The team coach/advisor(s) eligible if he/she is/has been taking classes in the 2015-2016 school year.
● Lodging: Super8 motel near BYU stadium $59.99/room up to 4 people. Possible local places for players staying Friday and/or Saturday night.
● Registration: 9:30AM-9:45AM Saturday February 20th, call numbers below if needed & for phone registration
● Time control: Game in 60 minutes per side - 5 second increment on clock. (G/60, +5) ( can be less, for 4 or more rounds)
● Rounds: 10am, 1pm, 3:30pm (adjusted if 4 rounds) Swiss style planned.
● EF: $Free! Games between USCF members rated if players agree to this.
● Trophies: 1ST, & 2ND place teams, plaques go to top 1ST, 2ND & 3RD team board. Reserve section 1ST and 2ND place trophies, 1ST place technical/trade school player & 1ST place woman player. (Only one trophy per person.)
Contact James Olmstead email@example.com 435-229-9821 Grant Hodson firstname.lastname@example.org 801-560-0498 / 801-968-1724; bring clock & set, some provided. (Try to photo player's School Shirts)
"The following are supporters for this tournament and the University Chess Club appreciates their help very much"
434 N 900 East
Little Caesars Pizza
2015 Utah State Chess Champion!
2015 Utah Speed Chess Championship University Chess Club Players Tying for 1st Place
Bryan Leano, a U of U student, Chess Expert & 1st Board of the University Chess Club Team, tied for first place in the Utah 2015 Speed Championship on January 24th 2015 winning 12 out of 14 games. Refer to uschess.org - United States Chess Federation website - and enter Leano, Bryan in the Member Search List: box to verify Bryan's tying for 1st place and that he is a Chess Expert.
Bryan has played first board for the University Chess Club's 2012, 2013 & 2014 Teams.
Eric Hon, who is the son of Man Hung Faculty Adviser for the University Chess Club, tied with Bryan for first place in the Utah 2015 Speed Championship. Refer to uschess.org and enter Hon, Eric to verify Eric's tying for 1st place. Eric is a Chess Expert too, a student at West High School and has played at the University Chess Club.
The University Chess Club meets on Thursday nights in the Student Union Den or another room when school is in session. Check with the Club's website at www.universitychessclub.org for meeting dates and times on the meeting link page.
Eric is on the left , Bryan is on the right, in the picture below.