Professional photography makes a big impact when your home is marketed for sale or lease. The shoot for your home should take 1-2 hours. The photographer appreciates being invited into your home and will treat the space and belongings with the utmost respect.
These guidelines have been prepared in order to help you get the most out of your professional photo shoot:
1-5 days prior:
- Maintain lawn and all landscaping for a neat appearance
- Have the house “deep cleaned.” Cobwebs, dirty windows, carpet stains, and smudged appliances all show up clearly in the photographs.
- Generally declutter the home (photography seems to amplify clutter)
- Remove excessive furnishings around the house (lightly furnished homes photograph and show better)
- Remove from view all personal photos (which helps depersonalize the home in effort to appeal to potential buyers)
- Replace any burned-out lightbulbs
The day before:
- Make a plan for pets to be contained or off premises. Taking the dog for a walk during photography is ideal.
- Straighten and organize children’s rooms
- Deactivate automatic sprinkler system
- Plan for all residents of the home to either be away or able to vacate as needed during the appointment. Home owners are, of course, welcome to stay during the shoot, although the best photos happen when the photographer is left alone to concentrate on composition.
Day of appointment:
- Vehicles need to be in the garage or away from the house so they are not visible in the photographs.
- Sweep all patios, decks, driveways, and sidewalks
- Clear off desks, countertops, and bathroom vanities
- Make all beds
- Straighten and organize children’s rooms again
Remove from view:
- Garden tools, hoses, and all yard equipment
- Any items posted on the front or sides of refrigerators
- Products with visible brand names or logos (they are distracting)
- Stacks of newspapers, magazines, mail, or other papers
- All trash cans, inside and out (except for decorative ones which add to the style of a room)
- Personal items that are not part of the home’s decor
- Hand towels or bath towels that are not part of the home’s decor
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet supplies
Immediately prior to appointment:
- Double check deactivation of sprinkler system
- Turn OFF all ceiling fans
- Turn OFF all televisions
- Turn ON all lights, lamps, and special light fixtures