Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
When: Wednesday, Sept. 3rd, 5:30 - 6:30pm
Where: Pre-Clinical Training Building (PCTB) Room 113/114
Socials Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, Sept. 9th, 9:00am - 10:00am
Where: MRB/Ross Daily Grind
Contact: Justin La Favor
Communications Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, Sept. 9th, 11:00am - noon
Where: Daily Grind
Contact: Nick Puts
Future JHPDA Events
Rally for Medical Research
When: Thursday, Sept. 18th
Where: Washington, D.C.
Register by September 5th!
See center panel for more details.
National Postdoc Appreciation Weeks
When: Sept. 15th-19th + 22nd-26th!
Add these two weeks to your calendar because your JHPDA will be offering many events in honor of postdocs!
POSTDOCtoberfest (SAVE THE DATE!)
When: Thursday, Sept. 25th, 5:30-7:30pm
Where: Ross Courtyard
(Rain date: Friday, Sept. 26th, 5:30-7:30pm)
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew and Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Jeff Norris
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Nick Puts
International: Thibault Mauxion and Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy: Kirsten Block
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Yuejin Li
Socials: Justin La Favor
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Interested in playing intramural soccer or volleyball? Sign up to be part of a JHPDA team! All participants must have a Cooley membership or purchase a short-term pass. Please sign up here by Tuesday, Sept. 2!
FREE JHMI Choral Society Concert this Tuesday!
Come enjoy a back-to-school concert featuring songs from classic cinema.
Tuesday, Sept 2, 5:30 pm in Hurd Hall
Interested in science mentoring? In developing transferable skills? The STEM Achievement in Baltimore Elementary Schools (SABES) program is looking for individuals to serve as science-engineer mentors in after-school programs for kids in grades 3-5!
Contact: Anindya Roy (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please inquire by the first week of September!
Save the Dates:
Fall Telling Stories about Science Events
- Wednesday, Sept. 24: Bill Nelson and Elizabeth Tracey,
- Wednesday, Oct. 15: Randy Olson
- Wednesday, Nov. 5: Peter Agre
Location: Wood Basic Science Building Auditorium
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins.]
IN BRIEF: Associate Dean’s Corner
Welcome 135 Postdoctoral Fellows!
Beginning June 1, 2014, 135 new postdoctoral research fellows from 15 countries have joined us in 32 departments. Most come from the United States, followed by China, Saudi Arabia, India, South Korea and 10 others. The majority of fellows plan a career in academic research; other career goals include education, industry, policy and advocacy, research administration, scientific writing, government research, veterinary medicine, clinical residency, and medical school.
I would like to congratulate you on your distinguished appointment and extend a warm welcome to all of you. I wish you a rewarding and successful research experience at one of the best research centers in the world!
Martha A. Zeiger MD, Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Intramural Soccer and Volleyball, Sign up by Tues., Sept. 2nd
Interested in playing intramural soccer or volleyball?
Sign up to be part of a JHPDA team!
Please sign up here by Tuesday, Sept. 2!
All participants must have a Cooley membership or purchase a short-term pass.
Rally for Medical Research Capitol Hill Day, Thurs., Sept. 18
Are you worried about the state of medical research funding and how it affects your career? Voice your concern directly to your Representative and Senators! Join the Rally for Medical Research as they meet with congressional offices to stress the need for increased medical research funding.
Register here by September 5th!
When: Wednesday, September 17th (training) and Thursday, September 18th (Congressional Meetings)
Where: Washington, D.C.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
When: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Where: West Lecture Hall, PCTB Building, Ground floor, 725 N. Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287.
Course Leader: Donna Vogel, M.D., Ph.D.
Anxious about presenting your research? Learn how to do your best and beat the stress! Among the topics covered: different types of presentation planning, organizing and delivering a winning talk, how to capture and keep the attention of the audience, effective use of visual aids, turning the Question period to your advantage, dealing with nervousness.
Networking and Informational Interview Workshop
When: Thursday, September 10, 2014, 12:00 – 2:00 pm
Where: 1830 Building, Room 2-108
Who you know does matter, and can help to predict career success! You can learn to network effectively, and increase your professional visibility. Choosing the right career can be a challenge. You will gain insight about conducting informational interviews to help you reach the next step in your career.
Recent additions listed below. Full descriptions can be seen here.
- Innovation Jam: Business Model Workshop. (This Friday 5th September. More information here)
- Now accepting proposals to the National Postdoctoral Association 2015 Annual Meeting (proposals accepted through 9/30, link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Research Pilot Projects (due 9/05, link)
- 4th Annual Hopkins Imaging Conference on 11/05! (abstracts due 9/05, link)
- NIH International Opportunities Expo and Career Event (9/09, link)
- NIH Earl Stadtman Investigators (due 9/30, link)
- The Thrasher Research Fund - Early Career Awards (concept submissions due 9/12; proposal submissions due 10/24, link)
- Career Awards for Medical Scientists (due 10/01, link)
- Publicizing Basic Science Contest - $500 Prizes (deadline 10/20, link)
- The Brain Challenge (deadline 10/31, flyer link, website link)
- Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (due 11/03, link)
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs, Submission (due 11/15, link)
- Research Study: Paid for participation in a Physical and Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- The Regenerative Medicine and Tissue Engineering Symposium (10/10, submit poster abstracts to Eleni Georgantonis email@example.com, 9/8)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Recent additions listed below.
- Gruss-Lipper Postdoctoral Fellowship Program (due 9/03; link)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellowships (due 9/11; link)
- Postdoc position in cancer biology at Johns Hopkins with Dr. Chrtistine Hann (due 10/01; link (row 23))
- Faculty Positions in Life Sciences at Yale-National University of Singapore (NUS) College (link)
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Equity Research Fellow (link)
- Research Opportunities in Europe for NSF-funded postdocs (link)
- International Opportunity: Scientific Instrumentation (link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
Local Events Outside Baltimore City
- Maryland Renaissance Festival, Aug. 23-Oct. 19
- Maryland Seafood Festival, Sept. 6-7
- Takoma Park Folk Festival, Sept. 7
- 2014 NextNow Festival, Sept. 11-14
- Annapolis Craft Beer and Music Festival, Sept. 13
- 2014 ZERO Prostate Cancer Run/Walk, Sept. 14
- DC Shorts Film Festival, Sept. 11-21
- Honey Harvest Festival, Sept. 20
- H Street Festival, Sept. 20
- Korean Festival, Sept. 19-21
- Washington International Horse Show, Oct. 21-26
- Kids Euro Festival, Oct. 24-Nov. 9
- Boo at the Zoo, Oct. 24-26
- Marine Corps Marathon, Oct. 26
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or here.