Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
07.23.15 at 6:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved 08.24.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; Josh Warinner, ED (called in); Susan Likes, BM (called in)
Absent: Julie Bell, Member
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Update on Building Renovations - Nate
- The General Contractor is concerned that all of the projects and cleanup will not be completed in time for the teachers to prepare their classrooms.
- Discussion surrounding the need to consider pushing back our first day of school in order to give the staff enough time to have everything ready for our students.
- Board members expressed concern for the lack of academic rigor that took place during the last week of the 2014-2015 school year and therefore concerned about eliminating contact days for the 2015-2016 school year. Josh explained the stress everyone was under and assured the board that moving forward he will implement a stronger academic rigor for every contact day with special focus of the last week of school. The board fully supports Josh and has confidence in his ability to raise the academic rigor.
- June 17th and 18th – Registration for School
- June 26th – First Day of School
- Josh will review the calendar for staff and decide when they need to report.
- Action Item - Josh will review the school calendar and see if/when lost contact days can be added back in.
- Action Item – Tamia will send Josh the information for parents regarding registration.
- Action Item – Nate will send Josh an update on the building renovations and an explanation as to why the school calendar has been changed.
- Action Item – Josh will compile Tamia’s and Nate’s emails and send an email to families.
- Action Item – Josh will inform Re1 and surrounding schools of our date change.
- Moving forward, it is important for the staff to recognize the schedule change and that additional changes may need to take place in order to gain more contact days. It is also important to remember that when setting future calendars that we do not base it off of this year’s academic calendar – as this is a rare exception.
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:05 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary