DSClassic is a ruleset for playing DS games that is more focused on fair and balanced games as well as avoiding powergaming/minmaxing/broken characters/etc. DSClassic will be much more static in its rules then DS has been, only making minor changes to accommodate new Paizo materials and rule clarifications. We may be more open to allowing GM approved modifications to meet perceived dev intention but such modifications would no longer be DS legal, only DSClassic.
- So players and GMs have an area to enjoy games without the worry of broken/OP characters and a simpler ruleset that is not constantly changing
- How do I join?
- there will be a separate section for DSClassic characters. DSClassic characters will be DS legal (with minor exceptions to be noted in the rules) however DS character will not be DSClassic legal.
- DMs can run games for either group
- How does this affect DS?
- DS rules are unaffected. DMs will still vote on rule changes as they have in the past.
- Is this because of *insert incident/rule of choice here*?
- no, this is not because of any single incident or rule change or anything of the sort. DS has been growing and adding material for a long time. It is clear that is what many DMs want and many players enjoy. However some DMs and players would prefer a simpler, more basic, set of rules, much like the original DS rules.
- Does this mean DS is doing things wrong?
- no, DS has grown and changed, nothing wrong with that. Those changes have allowed a wide range of characters, from underpowered, RP focused, and overpowered. It can be fun to play all those roles, however, it is difficult from a balancing point of view. DSClassic will allow those who wish to focus on RP or a sub-optimal build to still be useful and not be living in the shadow of the OP character doing all the work.
- What happens if a DSClassic character becomes overpowered?
- We will ask you to stick to DS games. Some rebuild options may be discussed later.
- Rule X is clearly trying to do “......” but a strict RAW reading I found this loophole. Can I do “.....”?
- DSClassic is not for you. Intent of a rule is more important than a loophole that lets you avoid it. If you are looking for loopholes to avoid a rule, please leave DSClassic.