Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, Oct 5th, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Social Committee Meeting
Join us with ideas for postdoc social events, and help plan future events. Open to all!
When: Wed., Sept 16th, 9:30-10:30 am
Contact: Justin La Favor
Communications Committee Meeting
Join us with ideas for effectively communicating and advertising to Hopkins postdocs. All are welcome!
When: Wed., Sept 16th, 8:30-9:30 am
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Anna Blice-Baum or Pankhuri Vyas
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Mark your calendar - Next week is National Postdoc Appreciation Week!
Next week (Sept 21- 25th) is National Postdoc Appreciation week (NPAW), a nationally recognized week for postdocs! As every year, the JHPDA organizes social and professional events, discounts, and freebies. We aim to provide a fun and useful celebration of postdoctoral life.
Thanks to our committees, we have several events coming up! So many in fact, that in line with last year we're extending our Hopkins Postdoc Appreciation Week until the 1st of October, culminating with our annual BBQ, POSTDOCtoberfest!!!
Start planning - a preview of our events and discounts can be found on the preliminary poster above! We will provide further information throughout the two weeks in the shape of daily bulletins, posters, website updates, and tweets, so you don't have to miss a thing! We're looking forward to seeing you at our events!!!
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
JHPDA Research Presentation Club, Wed., Sept 16th
Listen to a pearl and practice talks over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback!
Expert pearl - James Brasic, “Utilizing the principles of Toastmasters to deliver outstanding scientific presentations”
Two postdoc presentations:
(1) “Using non-coding variations to decipher complex disorders: Hirschsprung disease as a paradigm” (Chatterjee)
(2) “Host Adaptation of a Bacterial Toxin from the Human Pathogen Salmonella Typhi” (Deng)
When: Wednesday, Sept. 16, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, G18/19
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
NPAW week Kickoff Happy Hour
with Baltimore Postdoc Associations, Thu.,Sept. 17th
Join all four Baltimore Postdoc Associations for an NPAW kickoff happy hour at Heavy Seas Alehouse! Happy hour specials until 7:30pm and prizes for networking bingo! All Baltimore postdocs are welcome!
When: Thursday, Sept. 17, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Heavy Seas Alehouse at “The Captain’s Lounge”, 1300 Bank St.
Free transportation: Green Circulator (stop #104) or Shot Tower Metro Stop
Who: ALL Baltimore postdocs
Questions? Contact email@example.com
NPAW: Academic Writing- Strategies for Success, Mon.,Sept. 21st
Come join us for an interactive discussion on the tools needed to become a successful writer.
Our Expert Speaker:
Kimberly A. Skarupski, PhD, MPH (Associate dean for faculty development)
Participants will need something to write with (pen, paper, and laptop/tablet/device).
RSVP required (link)
When: Monday, Sept. 21, 10:30 - 12:00 pm
Where: Rangos 490 Conference room
NPAW: Trivia Night, Tue.,Sept. 22nd
Join us for a trivia night organized by the socials committee! Bring a team, or join a team on-site!
Food and drinks provided and a prize for the winning team! Questions are selected for an international academic audience.
When: Tuesday, Sept. 22, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Green House cafe (PCTB)
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Lunch and Learn Series - Sept. 14 - Sept. 18, 12:00 - 1:00 pm.
Over lunch break, come discuss important topics that would leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction. All sessions will take place in Rangos Room 490. Click here to register.
Interviewing for Career Success - Oct. 5, 12:15 - 1:15 pm; Mock interview*: Oct 9 1:30 - 3:00 pm, location TBD.
Hosted by The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office and the JHMI Professional and Career Development Office.
Help Maryland Students Prepare For A World Of Opportunity - Maryland Business Roundtable for Education Training Session - Oct. 7, 1:00 - 4:00 pm, Wood Basics Auditorium, PCTB. Register here.
Upcoming Workshops on the UCSC Genome Browser - Oct. 5, 2015
Staff from UCSC will present two sessions on October 5th in Tilghman Auditorium. 8:00 – 11:00 AM: Overview, featuring a guided tour and an introduction to data analysis. 12:00 – 3:00 PM: Hands-on experience working with the Table Browser, Custom Tracks, BLAT and other tools. Register here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- National Postdoctoral Association is looking for people to share effective models of PDO and PDA relationships for their myPDO’s October webinar session. Please contact Leslie Beckman if you are interested. (posted 9/14)
- Join NPA for just $10 - discounted membership fee only in Sept (details).(posted 9/14)
- Tenure-Track Position In Genomics, W. M. Keck Science Department Claremont, California (US). Application begins 9/21. (posted 9/8)
- Tenure-track position in Cellular Biochemistry and Physiology, Haverford College Haverford, Pennsylvania (US). Submission due 10/2 (posted 9/8)
- Hopkins Imaging Conference, Abstracts due 9/14 (submit abstract, details)
- Full-time and part-time positions available with the Ctr for Education Outreach and partners (details) (posted 8/24)
- Take this survey by Science Careers to help them improve career resources for scientists everywhere. You could also enter a drawing for 50$ Amazon gift card (details) (posted 8/24)
- Hampstead Hill Academy needs chess coach: teach chess fundamentals & take part in city wide tournaments; includes stipend. 1 day/week, 2:40 - 4:00 pm, mid-Sept. until end-May (contact Geraldine Swann)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) combined call for workshops, innovation in action sessions, and posters for the 2016 Annual Meeting now open through 10/02/15 (details)
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Two paid internship positions open at Acidophil LLC to work on synthetic biology or infectious diseases area (details: here and here ). (posted 9/14)
- ARPA-E Fellows 2015 due 10/16 (details)
- Cancer/molecular biology postdoc position in the neuro lab, Hugo W. Moser Research Institute at Kennedy Krieger (Hopkins SOM) (details) (posted 8/24)
- Postdoctoral position with the Immunodiagnostics and Proteomics Team in the Poxvirus and Rabies Branch (PRB) of the CDC (details) (posted 8/17)
- Various postdoctoral fellowship positions available at Pharmaceutical R&D company AbbVie (details; explore position openings) (posted 8/17)
- Multiple postdoctoral fellowships in computational biology at newly-formed Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School (details) (posted 8/17)
- Postdoc position at Glaxo Smith Kline in Bethesda, MD (details) (posted 8/10)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events Around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.