Circulation, Fines, Claims Returns Policy FINAL 2015
Library users (“users”) may have up to 30 items checked out at one time.
- New Books
- Story Kits & Backpacks* (limit one per household)
- Books on CD (limit 5 per card)
- Music CDs* (limit 5 per card)
- DVDs* (limit to 5 per card)
- Games* (limit to 2 per card)
- Puppets* (limit to 3 per card)
- Some items may only be available to district residents.
*These items may only be checked out on teen or adult cards.
- Two and four week Items shall accrue fines at 10 cents per library business day. One week items shall accrue fines at 25 cents per library business day.
- Users may exchange unexpired food for their fines. Food may not be exchanged for lost or damaged items.
- Library cards shall be frozen when the fines reach $ 5.00.
- Users may replace a lost or billed item. Approval and acceptance of the item must first be authorized by a senior staff member.
- The library offers two amnesty months each year in May and September. During these months, users may have any late fees cleared from their accounts for returned books. Damaged and Replacement fees may not be waived.
- Users may sign up to receive notices via text or email. Paper notices regarding fines and fees are mailed twice yearly in April and August. Users failing to clear their accounts during amnesty months or by financial means may be sent to collections for failure to return borrowed library materials (Idaho Code 33-2620).
- Users have the option to clear their account before invoices are sent to collections for the cost of the materials, or suitable replacements, minus the collection fee.
Claims Returned Policy
A claims return process may be initiated by users who claim they’ve returned an item to the library. The claims return process shall not be used lightly, but only when users strongly feel they’ve returned an item. Users should have executed a thorough search for library items prior to claiming a return.
Users shall make a claim to the library staff at the services desk. Users must detail where they returned the item so the library staff have a place to begin looking.
Once a claim is made:
- Library staff shall mark the item as claimed returned in the catalog and user’s account.
- Library staff shall execute and oversee a search for the lost item(s)
- If the item is found, the claim shall be removed from the user’s account.
- If the item is not found, the library shall replace the item, either allowing the claim, if the claim is within the limit of two per user per year, or billing the user for the replacement.
- If the item is subsequently found by the user, any late fees accrued on the item shall be waived. However, the incident shall continue to count towards the yearly total of allowed claims.
Users are allowed two claims returned per year. After two claims, users are held accountable for cost and/or replacement of any unreturned item(s). Items found within the library do not count towards the claims returned limit.
Approved by the Board of Trustees April 20, 2011. Reapproved February 26, 2015