Terms and Conditions
You (the account holder) agree:
- To enter a relationship of mutual trust - we trust you to use our address sensibly and safely. In return, you trust us to receive your mail and handle your information with sensitivity.
- That you are responsible at all times for the items sent to your Private Box.
- To use the Private Box address provided by us properly and in its entirety. A mail search fee may apply if the address is incomplete, or the mail item could be returned to the sender.
- That Private Box can open your mail when scanning your mail; when sending a parcel, or when we cannot identify who it is for. Occasionally we might make a mistake and open the wrong letter - you accept this might happen from time to time. We of course do our best to avoid this!
- Please note - the normal New Zealand law can also enable us to open your mail. If we receive a suspicious package we are required by law to investigate the contents and potentially report to the authorities. Or alternatively a law enforcement agency (like the police) may ask to open letters on their behalf as part of an investigation.
- To take care when placing orders with us to have your mail forwarded or destroyed. Destroyed mail cannot be recovered.
- Parcels may incur an additional charge for disposal.
- To pay any customs fees, tariffs or taxes for imports and exports of your mail.
- To complete the identity verification.
- To keep your account in positive balance (we operate on a prepaid basis). Unless there is money in your account, or a valid credit card active on your account, services will be withheld.
- Your account will be suspended after 28 days if it is in a negative balance for non-payment. You will still be able to receive mail however you will not be able to place any orders with Private Box until the account is returned to a positive balance.
- Your account will be closed if it has been suspended for 28 days. If the account is suspended for other reasons (such as not returning evidence of identity) the account closure may happen sooner. Any letters held will be returned to sender except scanned mail which will be destroyed. Any parcels will be held for 90 days before being disposed of.
- To contact Private Box in writing if you have any issues or concerns about our services and give us 20 working days to remedy the issue before taking further action.
- We will take care of your items while they are in our possession. Please note that all items are “at owner's risk” which means you will not be compensated if the item is delayed, lost or damaged. We will assist you to find any mail that might go missing.
- To use a Courier or “Parcel Collect” service if the item is important.
- If you close your account
- You will action this online from your login otherwise send written permission from yourself (the account holder).
- All mail that we hold will be destroyed and any future mail that arrives will be returned to sender.
- Unused prepaid credit will be returned to you (less a $5 admin fee).
- That refunds can only be refunded to the original source of credit.
- That we can suspend and/or close your account when used for misleading, improper or illegal use.
- If you operate a Company or a Trust to read the sections below. Please note we only allow Limited Companies and Overseas company types to operate via our addresses. Other entity types are excluded (for example Limited Partnerships).
- That if you are operating a personal mailbox that you only receive personal mail. If mail starts to arrive to your account that is non-personal in nature (eg. business name or trust etc) or if we find your address is being used for non-personal purposes your account can be upgraded to a business mailbox without notification.
- That our liability is limited to the total amount of service fees paid by the account holder. This limits our liability under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, and the Fair Trading Act 1986 to the extent possible under law.
- You must be at least 18 years old. By registering as a member, you warrant that you can form a legally binding contract (eg. this agreement).
- To keep your contact details up to date with us including email address, mobile number and forwarding address.
- When we send your high value items (over $2000NZD) using international courier or international express courier, there will be an additional charge for insurance of 1.06% of the total value of the item(s).
We (Private Box Limited) agree:
- To operate a physically and digitally secure service that places the safety of your mail and personal information at the centre of everything we do.
- To take the opening and inspection of your mail seriously and will take care when doing so.
- To provide high quality service at all times and for mail to be accurately recorded. When we catalog mail we will do so with the utmost care. All mail will have a sender recorded, mail type (letter, parcel, etc), and weight (within 5g). If dimensions are recorded these measurements will be to the closest centimetre (always rounded up).
- To challenge our suppliers to provide lower prices.
- To do our best to identify who incoming mail is for. If we cannot identify who it is for the item will be returned to the sender. If there is no return address it will be held in the Private Box office for 90 days until it is claimed (or it will be disposed of).
- That we will take steps to honour our commitments under the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act while protecting the privacy of our customers. This includes:
- Conducting Risk Profiling of our customers
- Reporting Suspicious Transactions to the Financial Intelligence Unit of the NZ Police
- To report any wrong-doing to the appropriate authority.
- To look at ways of making our business better for the benefit of our customers.
- We are not responsible for the content of any information received/opened/stored and that our only association with property received is as an independent service provider.
- We have no obligation to offer, or to continue to offer, the Private Box service to anyone.
This section applies to members who have a company registered at one of our addresses.
- You must have a business mailbox to use a Private Box address as the postal contact address for your company.
- Private Box provides a registered office service. This service is provided in good faith. If the customer fails to comply with the requirements set out in the Companies Act 1993, the contract may be suspended or cancelled without notice.
- All company documents required for our Registered Office service will be stored digitally (as allowed by the Companies Act 1993). The originals will be securely destroyed. If you wish to receive the original copies back you must provide Private Box with a pre-paid envelope.
- All directors and shareholders are to provide identity information within 30 days of the Registered Office service starting.
- Private Box does not provide services for organisations that operate in the following categories:
- Adult entertainment (Pornography, Escort services, Sex toys etc)
- Financial service providers
- Misleading invoices
- Multi-level marketing companies
- Political parties
- Religious cults
- Any business that could reflect badly on others who use the same address
- If court documents or statutory demands are served at Private Box at your Address For Sevice a $500 fee will be applied to your account. We will attempt to contact you using contact information we have on file. If we are able to contact you within 48 hours we will refund $400 of this fee.
This section only applies if you wish to receive mail for your trust at Private Box.
- Due to our AML obligations we must identify all trustees and beneficiaries of a trust. To this end the Trust Deed must be provided (or certified copy). If this is not suitable, a lawyer may be used as an intermediary to provide a summary of this detail.
The Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 requires us to identify the beneficial owner and effective controller of a trust. If this cannot be established then we cannot act as your mail agent.
- You must have a business account in order to operate a trust at one of our addresses.