Do you know all about mechanisms?
Try the following exercises, and test yourself. ;-)
- Match each mechanism with its meaning.
Mechanisms Lever moveable pulley
Fixed pulley Friction drive Compound pulleys
Pulleys with belt Nut and bolt Cogwheels
Winch Gear mechanisms with a chain
Rack and pinion
- _______ are devices that transmit and transform forces and motions from a driving force to an output element.
- A _______ is a rigid bar that is used with a point of support or a fulcrum.
- A ________ is a wheel that has a groove for a rope, chain or belt to go round it.
- A _________has two pulleys, one is fixed while the another can move in a linear direction.
- _____________: This is a set of fixed and moveable pulleys.
- _____________: This mechanism is made of two or more wheels that are in contact.
- _____________: These pulleys are a certain distance apart. Their axles are parallel and they rotate simultaneously because of the belt.
- ___________ are a set of wheels that have teeth called cogs.
- These mechanisms are made of two cogwheels with parallel axles that are a certain distance apart.
- _________: This mechanism uses a pinion mounted on a rack.
- _________: This mechanism consists of a winch attached to the axle of a cylindrical drum.
- __________: This mechanism consists of a bolt and a nut.
- Write one use of every type of mechanism.