Math Coach Job Description
The SSEDS Math Coach is an elementary school math expert with an innovative mindset. The coach must creatively, capably, and effectively teach students from three to eleven years of age, plan with faculty members to reinvigorate and innovate the teaching and learning of mathematics, model lessons, observe and provide feedback to help faculty members reach their highest potential. Additionally, the coach must possess extraordinary communication skills to promote the importance of math competencies and instruction to all constituencies.
The new Math Coach will teach Grade 4 mathematics partnering with Tere Finlay, the current Math Coach and Math Teacher in Grade 5.
Together they will:
- Meet regularly with all Math Teachers to plan with a focus on differentiating instruction
- Model best practices and new methodologies
- Assist in classrooms to support differentiation
- Evaluate students to determine any math deficiencies that need remediation and attend to those needs
- Offer help sessions before and/or after school or during recess
- Meet with parents with their child’s teachers to discuss significant student deficiencies that need support beyond what SSEDS can offer
- Create a Math Lab experience for students interested in exploring more advanced mathematics or topics other than those taught in the classroom
- Develop a love for math in our community
- Develop and execute appropriate units on finance across all grade levels
- Develop and execute out-of-the-box, hands on, relevant, experiences for students to explore geometry, measurement, and data collection/interpretation.
- Evaluate all Grade 1-4 applicants for admission
- Live out the Mission, Vision, and strive to achieve the goals delineated in the Strategic Plan.
- Perform all assigned duties including but not limited to arrival, dismissal, and lunch duty.
- Attend all pertinent in-house professional development opportunities and seek out other learning opportunities to perfect his/her craft.
- Assist all colleagues as the need arises.