Brooklyn, NY 11217
Tel. (917) 5140136
To continue to grow as a technologist. To get passionate about the technologies and projects that I work on.
- Application frameworks: IOS, Coredata, CoreLocation, Android, EmberJS, SpineJS, Rails (Ruby), Jruby, Template Toolkit (Perl), Spring (Java), Hibernate, J2EE
- Testing frameworks: Rspec, Cucumber, Jasmine, PhantomJS Selenium, Rcov, Test Unit, Mocks, TeamCity, CruiseControl, Jenkins, Appium
- Methodologies: Agile, Scrum, Waterfall
- Text Editors used: Vim, Emacs, Eclipse, IntelliJ, NetBeans, Xcode
- Operating Systems: Mac OSX, Linux (Redhat, Ubuntu, Debian, Yellowdog, Suse, etc.), Unix (Sun OS), IBM OS2, Windows XP, 2000, .Net, etc.
- System applications: Phusion Passenger, Unicorn, Apache, Tomcat and GlassFish
- Databases: Mysql, Postgres, MongoDB, Sqlite, MSSql, Oracle
Manager of Mobile Engineering (4/2013 to Current)
- Incorporated code review processes leveraging github to ensure stability and collaboration across internal and international team
- Worked directly with product team to break up stories by technically logical components that could be delivered with value of the customer in mind and scope kept to a minimum to facilitate a very agile approach for each sprint.
- Held monthly tech talks on different technologies the team worked with in order to share ideas amongst different technology segments in the organization.
- Managed a team of 5 developers (internal staff and consultants) to deliver the IOS and Android versions of Car Buying guide:
- Worked with external teams within the organization as a consumer of their APIs to help create and generalize our API as use as a future product for external customers
Senior Mobile Engineer (4/2012 to 4/2013)
- Part of two person team that developed the IOS and Android versions of the Consumer Reports mobile applications which include:
- Worked directly with the API team to define the API object structure and URLs and how to make them more restful
- Won an internal Hackathon held by my company by developing an application (Blob.ee) which used Lingpipe, a natural linguistic tool to find items in our database and create Bitly links for sharing, and also constructed a widget which could be incorporated into other sites
- The company has started an initiative off the idea and is taking it to market
- Helped department incorporate agile methodologies
- Incorporated Pivotal Tracker, Basecamp, Campfire to help of cross pollination of ideas
- amongst different groups
- Set up a continuous integration server to test our IOS and Android apps and worked with everyone on team, using a pair programming approach to learn and convert team to Calabash iOS and Calabash Android.
- Aligned goals between the automation engineer, development team, and QA to get a continuous integration server which helped worked for all teams.
Senior Lead Engineer (2/2010 to 4/2012)
- Led a team to design and develop features on an aggressive schedule
- Designed and fine tuned a NoSql database which handled over 30K requests per hour
- Worked on cutting edge technologies, researching the best available tool to use for different projects including testing frameworks
- Designed and implemented APIs that were used to break up the application into more manageable components (these APIs were also used to develop the mobile application which uses the APIs as a consumer)
- Estimated various features and gathered requirements from the business and product team and communicated back to the CTO a plan of attack
Senior Technologist 8/2009 - 2/2010
- Worked in an agile environment, had daily stand ups and bi weekly sprints
- Set up testing framework using Jenkins automated build tool for automated test integration, using Rspec, Rcov, and Cucumber
- Set up selenium server internally and handed off to QA staff for more thorough selenium tests
- Built custom I18N plugin for data driven translations which can be managed via an interface
- Trained staff how to use Ruby On Rails, Git, Mysql, integrate their changes into the rails framework, and use the database to see what data is available to them
- Worked with them to develop APIs on the back end to meet their specifications
- Set up different stage environments for QA, Integration, and development and put a process in place to ensure that each stage met a certain criteria before being pushed to the next environment
- Trained QA staff on automated testing using Rspec and Selenium
- Worked with business to gather requirements for how the merchandising staff will manage the CMS portion of the site and publish key components
- Did basic maintenance and minor enhancements on existing Ruby On Rails CMS, which published to an ASP site on the customer facing side
Programmer Analyst/Lead Developer (1/2008 to 8/2009)
- Worked directly with business to create business requirements and translate them into technical specifications
- Created plugins and mixins, in a way that promotes code re usability
- Was one of the original 3 developers, which converted the site from ASP which had 10K unique users to a Ruby on Rails site which now has over 500K unique users and growing
- Juggled tech support lead in between my projects by assessing different stabilization / production issues, creating tickets with technical analysis of the issue and allocating resources to resolve the problem
- Contacted customers directly and helped them resolve technical issues (we had no tech support staff
- Interviewed candidates for different software development positions
Software Engineer/Tech Lead (1/2007 to 1/2008)
- Barterquest is an eBay-like site built on Rails 2.0 which lets you barter instead of exchanging cash
- Built the site from the ground up as the tech lead, while training and managing 2 consultants and 2 junior developers
Software Engineer - Consultant (11/2006 to 2/2008)
Bangstate Inc Brooklyn, NY
Left the Associated Press with colleague and owner of Bangstate Michael Welles to work on various startups using Ruby/Rails.
Haystack.com Ruby / Rails
- Helped build the music social networking site: http://www.haystack.com from the ground up.
- Built using Ruby on Rails. I worked independently and was allowed full creative control to design and implement features as I saw fit. Gained a great respect and understanding of framework and application testing using Rails built in test framework. Wrote extensive controller and model tests. o The company unfortunately lacked a solid business plan went out of business.
- Developed a case tracking tool written in Perl using Perl template toolkit for a NYC hospital management company to help staff manage and assign cases to attorneys opened for hospital residents. It allowed for administration staff to assign cases to attorneys and attorneys to follow up back to administration staff with any follow up paper work needed. The system would automatically notify case clients that there case was an assigned to an attorney and mail out any paperwork associated with the case to the client for him/her to fill out. o Wrote various reports and a GUI tool (also built with Template Toolkit) to view these reports.
- Have done site maintenance using PHP for http://www.ferruccimusic.com. Helped build on top of already existing admin screen which allowed for management of different media and pages on the site as well as customized pages (with little to now help from consultants).
Software Engineer (11/2000 to 11/2006)
Associated Press NY, NY
- Developed web and system applications for content delivery of various news content including Sportsml, NITF, and other news industry XML standards
- Played a major role in the development of http://hosted.ap.org which is a hosted solution for all news. Customers range from Yahoo to AOL, etc. [It is Java web application running on Tomcat that pulls down news articles from the NNTP server, allowing editors to place specific rules on groups of stories and also create packages from stories. It also allows customers to link to a packages of a particular type of new story. The software has been in production for 8 years and is still running at http://hosted.ap.org
- One of the original 5 employees which started the Digital department at the AP, which was the department involved in moving the AP to a Web based news delivery system
- Executed many of the system administration as well as other job duties to help get the department off the ground
Software Engineer (11/1999 to 11/2000)
InTouch Management Systems Melville, NY
- Developed, debugged, and enhanced Client / Server applications for a pager billing system, developed the applications using C/C++ and using Ctree data warehouse which is an ISAM database
- Efficiently debugged and enhanced the database replication system that was written in Java
- Wrote bash scripts to assist both other development staff and myself in being more efficient
- Actively spoke to clients to get detailed understanding of their design needs
- Proficiently converted client’s description to a program and then implemented after proper procedures
- Team effort to design and develop a server API written in both C and C++ to allow our customers to use our software from a Web front end
SUNY Old Westbury (1996 to 2000)
- Finished majority of courses towards a BA in Computer Science 3.2 GPA
- Computer Science achievement award of excellence
- Oversaw the school computer lab and administered a Windows/Unix network
CUNY Queensborough Community College (1995 to 1996)
- Finished one year in Electrical Engineering courses before changing to Computer Science
- Greek spoken fluently and written.