This summer, all rising 10th graders will be required to schedule a tour at a local college or university. Information about how to schedule a tour is included at the end of this document.
Prior to going on your tour:
- Research 3 different majors at that college/university, focusing on admission requirements, courses studied, and/or relevant internships/information.
- Schedule a tour with that college/university.
- Submit your scheduled tour date to this Google form: Schedule Form
- After submitting your scheduled tour date, you can see results of other students who are interested in visiting the same schools and/or majors. On the confirmation page, click on “See previous responses,” and then click on “View all responses.”
While on your tour:
- Ask general questions about the university, student life, classes, professors, etc.
- Ask questions related to your 3 majors, and take pertinent notes.
- Be courteous and attentive.
In September 2014, students will be presenting the findings from their tours to their advisory. Presentations should include:
- Any relevant information about the college/university (name, average GPA, etc.)
- Relevant information found about 3 different majors (admission requirements, courses studied, etc)
- Other information that you found about the university (What is student life like? What was the campus like? If you sat in on any classes, what were they like?)
- General thoughts/feedback on your experience
We have compiled a short list of schools in Philadelphia that are easy to visit. They all require pre-registration to take a tour -- follow the links! However, students may visit any school of their choice -- they are not limited to this list.
We have also noted the average high school GPA of students who are accepted to these schools. Keep in mind that these are averages only -- NOT a cut-off. Many students with lower averages have been accepted.
- Average GPA for admission: 3.6
La Salle University
- Average GPA for admission: 3.34
Penn State Abington
- Average GPA for admission: 3.1
- Average GPA for admission: 3.42
University of Pennsylvania
- Average GPA for admission: 3.9