9 Friars Garth, Abbeytown, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 4SG
I’m a freelance outdoor instructor who has worked mainly in Scotland and North Wales. I have experience with guiding, instruction, and personal development for a variety of different types of group. When I’m not working you will find me at the crags, on the rivers and lakes throughout the world. Trips have included Greenland, Chile, Morocco and throughout europe.
Awards and Qualifications
- Mountain Instructor Award
- Winter Mountain Leader
- Foundation Climbing Coach (Trained)
- Mountain Instructor Certificate (Trained)
- BCU/UKCC Level 2 Coach in Paddlesport
- 4* Open Canoe Leader
- 3* White Water Kayak
- White Water Safety and Rescue
- BASP First Aid Certificate (with AED)
- Safeguarding and Protecting Children
- D1 Minibus Driver Licence.
- Working with interesting and diverse individuals/groups.
- Current with work in Fort William, Glen Coe, Skye Cuillin, Torridon & North West, Cairngorms
- Over a decade of climbing throughout the world, including climbing new routes in the arctic, africa and south america.
- Active member of professional bodies for my sports & continue to develop my skills through qualifications and CPD.
October 2015 - Present Freelance Outdoor Instructor
I currently freelance for a variety of employers and deliver my own courses. This has included:
- Scrambling and Mountaineering for Skye Guides, West Coast Mountain Guides, Highland Mountain Company, Atlas Mountaineering, Pure Outdoor, Highland Ascents, Hamlet Mountaineering.
- Military Adventurous Training, Rock Climbing & Mountaineering for both Army & RAF.
- Long distance guided trekking for Thistle Trekking.
- During personal work I have employed other instructors to work alongside myself on scrambling and winter skills courses.
March 2015 - October 2015 Activities Instructor, The Torridon, NW Highlands
- Running sessions with a varied client base including families, couples and individuals tailored to their needs.
- Sessions have included low and high level walks, mountaineering, multi pitch climbing, sea kayaking, open canoeing, gorge scrambling, coasteering, archery.
- Managing and looking after equipment, rota, and local venues.
August 2014 - March 2015 Freelance Outdoor Instructor, Scotland and North Wales
- Working with a variety of different groups including schools, young people, and adults.
- Employers include Raasay House (www.raasay-house.co.uk) and Plas y Brenin (www.pyb.co.uk).
- Activities have included hill and island walking, climbing, abseiling, mountaineering, kayaking, coasteering and teamwork challenges.
May 2014 - August 2014 Instructional Staff, Plas y Brenin, North Wales
- Running brochure courses including ‘BMC Head for the Hills’, ‘Map and Compass Skills’, ‘Mountain Skills’ & ‘BMC Ready to Rock’. As course director I had sole responsibility for running the program and ensuring equipment and staff are organised so they run smoothly.
- Delivering a variety of activity sessions in canoe, kayak, climbing (indoor and outdoor) and geocaching.
- Managing Adventure Days including abseiling, low ropes course, orienteering, raft building and teamwork challenges.
May 2013 - May 2014 Centre Assistant, Plas y Brenin, North Wales
- Responsible for maintaining the efficient running of the centre.
- Responsibilities included regular resetting of the climbing wall; managing of equipment stores in Alltshellach, Scotland.
December 2007 - May 2013 Ecommerce Manager, Snow and Rock Sports Group
(sites: http://www.snowandrock.com http://www.cyclesurgery.com http://www.runnersneed.com)
- Developing and launching new versions of the groups websites.
- Managing the sites content creation and merchandising team.
- Developing content and enhancements to user experience and services.
July-August 2012 Volunteer Instructor, Calvert Trust Kielder, Lake District
- Working with disabled groups, assisting their instruction on abseils, wheelchair assault course, rope hoists, walks and sailing.
June 2011 Volunteer Assistant, Shearwater Adventure, Lake District
- Working on climbing sessions with young people aged 12-13.
- Climbing is my passion and I lead up to E2 (trad), 7a (sport) and Scottish V (winter).
- I enjoy cooking
- I have a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Bath and am adept at creating websites.
References are available on request.