#122 - Into the Nexus: “Title”
• Garrett • Kyle
Our Patrons support Into the Nexus at Patreon.com/ITN. If you enjoy the show consider supporting it with 25 cents, a dollar, or however you would like! We thank all our Patrons for their support!
Intro: Welcome to Into the Nexus! The Heroes of the Storm podcast!
Season 1 Finale Stream Night
Next Friday, August 26th at 9pm ET we’ll be streaming all of our placement matches for Team League (which we have neglected). We’ll be queueing with three other ITN Patrons. We will also be encouraging our community to create their own 5-man teams to go storm TL and earn the Elemental Lizard Mount for all Nexians.
Make sure to type /join Amovetv while in Heroes of the Storm to join the Amove In-Game Chat Channel. That’s where teams will be forming!
Reminder, you can go to ITNcast.reddit.com to submit stories or upvote submissions for the next episode.
Machines of War
New Season Starts September 13th
- Alarak - September 13th
- Zarya - September 27
- Braxis Holdout - PTR August 29th.
- The Dominion used the remote and hostile planet Braxis to conduct experiments on ways to turn the Zerg swarm into a weapon they could unleash on their enemies. Though the Dominion's main psi disrupter was destroyed, this space platform's beacons remain fully operational and ready to be used. Capture the beacons and watch what happens when a flood of weaponized Zerg ravages the battlefield.
- Warhead Junction (Unknown release date)
- Once a testing facility for nuclear weapons, Warhead Junction has since fallen into ruin. However, the site's abandonment hasn't stopped its glitchy adjutant from continuing to produce and hand out nuclear weapons. Join the arms race of Warhead Junction, build up your stockpile, and rain hell on your enemies!
Xel'Naga artifacts have begun to appear all across the Nexus, and SCVs are being deployed to collect them. Terminate the interlopers with extreme prejudice and collect artifact pieces!
To participate, log into the game and play. You'll get a daily quest to collect artifacts. At the start of a match, artifact pieces and SCVs may appear. Collect pieces to restore the artifact, but watch out for SCVs trying to interfere!
- Q - Discord Strike [Mana: 60; CD: 8s] - After a 0.5 second delay, enemies in front of Alarak take 175 damage and are silenced for 1.5 seconds.
- W - Telekinesis [Mana: 30; CD: 12s] - Create a force, pushing yourself and all enemies hit from the targeted point towards the targeted direction. Deals 48 damage to enemies.
- E - Lightning Surge [Mana: 40; CD: 6s] - Deal 90 damage to an enemy and all enemies between you and the target. 75% of the damage deal to enemy Heroes is returned as health.
- R1 - Counter-Strike [Mana: 50; CD: 30s] - Alarak becomes Protected and channels for 1 second. If an enemy Hero attacked Alarak during that time, Alarak sends a shockwave forward that deals 250 damage.
- R2 - Deadly Charge [Mana: 60; CD: 45s] - After channeling, Alarak charges forward dealing 200 damage to all enemies in the path. Distance is increased based on the amount of time channeled, up to 1.6 seconds.
- Issuing a Move order while this is channeling will cancel it at no cost. Taking damage will interrupt the channeling.
- Trait - Sadism - Alarak deals 100% more Ability damage versus enemy Heroes.
- Many talents lower Sadism in exchange for a buff to other things.
(The bonus is shown as an additional resource above the health bar. There are multiple talents which affect the bonus.)
- When a nearby Ally Hero dies, your Sadism bonus is increased by 8%, stacking up to 40%. This bonus Sadism cannot be consumed by Hasty Bargain (lvl 20) and is lost on death.
- Counter-Strike/Deadly Charge
- (Alarak gains the ultimate he didn't take at 10. The second Heroic will take over the Trait button)
- Activate to remove all roots, slows, and damage over time effects and teleport to the chosen location. Activating Last Laugh will immediately reduce Alarak's Health to 1.
- Activate to permanently reduce your Sadism bonus by 4% and reset the cooldowns of your Basic Abilities.
Figure we’ll go pretty light on Zarya, just the interesting parts. We’ll talk about her again as she comes out.
No mana, just a energy starting at 0%
Auto attack is a line splash with Tychus speed.
- Q - Particle Grenade [Charge CD: 8s; 4 charges; 1s CD between charges] - Launch a particle grenade that deals 64 damage to enemies within the area. Deals 50% damage to Structures.
- W - Personal Barrier [CD: 12s] - Gain a shield that absorbs 582 damage for 3 seconds.
- E - Shield Ally [CD: 12s] - Grants an allied Hero a shield that absorbs 437 damage for 3 seconds.
- R1 - Graviton Surge [CD: 120s] - Launch a gravity bomb that detonates after 1 second and draws enemy Heroes toward the center for 2.5 seconds.
- R2 - Expulsion Zone [CD: 45s] - Launch a gravity bomb that deals 184 (damage number shown at lvl 10) damage and creates an expulsion zone for 3.5 seconds. Enemies who enter the affected area are knocked back and have their Movement Speed reduced by 50% for 1 second.
- Trait - Energy - Each time Zarya's Personal Barrier or Shield Ally absorbs 10 damage, her Energy is increased by 1. Each point of Energy increases Zarya's damage by 2%. After 0.5 seconds, Energy decays by 3 per second.
- (Energy is capped at 100, that is 200% bonus damage)
Lvl 16 - Cleansing Shield: Shield Ally cleanses
Lvl 20 - Grenadier (Q) All Particle Grenade charges are returned at once.
Via Chu8’s Gamescom stream
Individual performance is being addressed. End of match rewards to be given out from MVP System. It will select 5 different players that had the most impact from the match and you can choose MVP, and there's a upvote system similar to OW (with a secret reward with enough upvotes).
- Highest Kill Streak
- Most Coins Turned in
- Upvote feature (like overwatch at the end)
- If you get enough upvotes, you get a secret bonus.
Apparently internal testing is spread evenly from assassins/tanks/supports/specs (MVP isn't just assassins killing).
With the release of the Season 2.
- Grand Master down to 200 people from 500
- Promotion matches bank points. Demotion maps do not.
I’ll be asking you what is most interesting here.
Basic attack damage: Valla's Basic Attack got a huge nerf! Looks like she now deals ~62 damage at level 1, compared to ~98 before. That is around ~37% less damage.
With full Hatred stacks, she now deals ~111 damage on level 1, compared to ~127 damage with 10 stacks before. So around ~13% less Basic Attack damage with full stacks.
Updated trait: Basic attacks grant a stack of Hatred. Each Hatred stack increases her basic attack damage by 8% (up from 3%), 10 stacks max. Also increases movespeed by 1% per stack (same as before).
New Vault: Dash is unchanged. Now also increases the damage of your next Basic Attack by 5% for each Hatred stack. Mana cost reduced from 75 to 50.
- Cost-Effective Materials: Reduces Q mana cost by 30 and also increases it's range by 25%
- Caltrops: Quest: Drop 3 Caltrops while Vaulting. Caltrops deal 45 and slow enemies by 25% for 1 seconds. Reward: After spending 180 seconds at 10 Hatred stacks, Vault's cooldown is reduced by 5 seconds
- Hot Pursuit: While at 10 Hatred stacks, increases your movespeed by 20% and gain 4 mana / second
- Improved Hatred: Passive: increases attack speed by 10%. Quest: after hitting 100 Basic Attacks against heroes, your Hatred gains an additional 2% Basic Attack damage per stack.
- Puncturing Arrow: Quest: hitting heroes with your Q increases it's damage by 5, up to 100. Reward: at 100 bonus damage, gain 50 more bonus damage and Q bounces to an additional target
- Punishment: Multishot deals 5% more damage for each Hatred stack
- Tempered by Discipline: While at 10 Hatred stacks, return 25% of your Basic Attack damage back as healing.
- Siphon Arrow: Q returns 75% of the damage dealt as health
- Spell Barrier: Passive: Reduces Ability damage taken by 20%. Active: Consume Hatred stacks to reduce ability damage taken by additional 3% for each stack, lasts 5 seconds.
- Strafe seems to be unchanged
- Rain of Vengeance: Launches 1 wave of shadow beasts. Now has 2 stacks, each costing 50 mana.
- Arsenal: Multishot also fires grenades (same as before), but each hero hit by a grenade also reduces Multishot cooldown by 3 seconds.
- Lethal Shot: Increases the bonus damage by Vault from 5% to 10%. If this attack kills it's target, mana cost and cooldown of Vault are returned.
- Repeating Arrow: Unchanged, but moved from lvl 7 to 13.
- Frost Shot: Increases Multishot range by 20% and slows by 25% for 2 seconds
- Manticore: Every 3rd Basic Attack against heroes now deals and additional 5% of their maximum health as damage
- Seething Hatred: Basic Attacks now grant 2 stacks of Hatred, and Hatred starts to decay after 6 seconds instead of 4
- Vengeance: Same as before, but now also returns 25% of Strafe damage as health
- Storm of Vengeance: Basic attacks reduce the cooldown of Rain of Vengeance by 5 seonds
- Rancor: Every stack of Hatred increases attack speed by 2%. At 10 stacks, additional 30% attack speed increase.
- Lightweight Bolts: Increases Basic Attack range by 40%
Patreon Mention: Patreon.com/ITN
- Justin Volz
- John J Mendez
- Barrett Cervenka
- Andrea Botiller
- David Parsons
- Mike O'Dea
ITN Patron Shilas
Long time listener, first time emailer (that's a word right?). First just want to say I think you guys do a fantastic job. Love the show and enthusiasm on every episode. Keep it up!
I consider myself a decent player, currently sitting at Plat 2 after placements. I am very much a player that needs to practice a lot with a hero to get a feel for their abilities such as range, how much damage they do, how much damage I can take etc... With not as much time to play as often as I have in the past and the meta seems to constantly change with balance patches and such, how would I go about adapting? The skill level in my league is pretty good so generally just being good at a hero doesn't make up for counters as it used to. Thanks for taking the time to read my question and while I'm currently taking a midterm (night school sucks!!!) I appreciate all the content you guys provide!
I think you’re already on the right path since you’re being honest with yourself about how much you need to play a hero to be competent with them. Utilize that knowledge.
- Know how much your Warrior of choice can take? Going up against a tank-shredding combo? Take some more survival talents you might not usually.
- Another route is just going damage spec Warrior. But make sure your other Assassins or Specialists know what you’re doing so they can get a little more happy on the front line with you to helpfully shift it into a 5v4 so having a single Tank absorbing damage isn’t as important.
- Is your comp being out-damaged but you’re already locked in as the solo Support? Consider going one of those wacky damage Support builds.
- I think Assassins and Specs have the most flex. You’re always going to put out decent numbers. But you can always lean into more self-sustain to make life a little less hectic on your Support or maybe even stand side by side with the Warrior on your team.
So I was watching some streams from Gamescom featuring the new maps and heroes. I love what they have done to make the new maps feel very unique to the Nexus but I was kinda hoping they would be thematically closer to the eternal conflict maps (i.e. good v evil) but with the starcraft races.
This lead me to the idea of have a 3 team map with each core being represented by each race. Do you think this would be a viable new way to play the game without it being some arcade-mode-style game in Arena? Would you need smaller teams say 4v4v4 or 3v3v3 or would u want just a giant map of mayhem?
Patreon Shout Out
ITN is supported by our badass Patrons. You can become a ITN Patron by going to Patreon.com/itn.
- #Josh: I honestly started playing Heroes for the card back in Hearthstone but then got addicted.
Into the Nexus is produced by Amove.tv and our Patreon producers Declan H and CheezyBob! ITN coffee mugs and glasses are over at bit.ly/amovestore.
Catch the live show Thursday nights at 8pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/Amovetv. Mobile live stream provided by Alpha Geek Radio. Go to mobile.alphageekradio.com.
Follow the show on Twitter @ITNcast, Facebook.com/Amovetv, And ITNpodcast.reddit.com.
Thanks to Brian Griffith, the musician responsible for our intro music. He can be found at briangriffithmusic.com or @briangriffith on twitter..
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
The Angry Chicken: A Hearthstone Podcast
The Angry Nerd
Just because we aren’t running ads at the top doesn’t mean these codes are any less awesome!
Our code, ITN, will get you a free 120gb SSD added to your already amazing Doghouse gaming PC.
The same code, ITN, will get you 30% off and free shipping on your entire order of noise-reducing earbuds from Tweaked Audio!