Resume of Tim Fox
A software veteran and independent consultant with 15+ years experience as an architect, lead, and consultant, with recent emphases in Big Data Architecture and Data Science Development
- Big Data experience includes Hadoop, HDFS, HBase, Hive, Pig, Zookeeper, Oozie, Flume, Cassandra, Datastax, MongoDB, Lucene, Mahout, and many other related technologies (I am a certified Cloudera Developer – CCDH)
- 16+ years of experience in software development, DB Developer, project management, and software architecture.
- Skills including technical leadership, mentoring junior developers, customer requirements gathering, and customer expectations management.
- Text mining experience: TextRank, LexRank, sentiment analysis, coreference
- Machine learning/statistics includes classification, clustering, recommendation algorithms, k-Means, statistical analysis, data visualization, R.
- R Experience includes R-Revolution Analytics, Rstudio, Rhadoop, MapReduce integration
- Foreign Language Processing / machine translation with an emphasis on non-Roman scripts.
- Computational Linguistics/ NLP: NLTk, OpenNLP, NLP, IPA, POS tagging, corpus linguistics, LingPipe, NER, RiTa, Antelope
- Experience creating webcrawlers/bots
- Java/J2EE experience includes Spring Framework, Hibernate, JDBC, JSP, Ant, Maven, Tomcat, JBOSS, Weblogix, Eclipse, Servlets, JNDI, JUnit, AWT, Swing.
- Experience with development of other JVM languages including Scala and Groovy.
- Cloud Experience: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Windows Azure.
- Social Media: Twitter, Facebook API mining, processing.
- Open Source / Dynamic Language experience includes Ruby, Python, PERL, TCL, PHP, bash etc.
- UI/UX experience includes designing user interfaces, implementing UI, usability studies, etc.
- Database Experience such as Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle (11i)
- Microsoft Experience Experienced in C#/ .NET ASP.NET, WPF/WCF, SQL Server 2005/2008. (MCTS .NET Application Development certification)
- Experienced with diverse range of development methodologies including Waterfall, Agile, Scrum, XP, and RUP.
- Proficient in C/C++, Java/J2EE-related technologies, several assembly dialects, and scripting languages (PERL, tcl, shells)
- Experienced in development in Unix/Linux/ Win32, .NET, PC, mobile, and Web environments.
- Familiar with Project management and SCM tools including Git, TFS, VSS, CVS, SVN, Rational Clearcase/Clearquest, MS Project, Visio, etc.
- Proficient in object-oriented design methodologies.
- Demonstrated proven problem-solving abilities.
2/2011 – Present
Elephant Scale, Houston-San Jose
11/2004 – 2/2011: CreaTek Solutions, Inc, Austin, TX
Software Developer and Architect
- Identified customer opportunities, gathered requirements from customers, and communicated with customers during project deliverables.
- Major Projects and Customers:
Hortonworks, Palo Alto, CA
- Architected Hadoop-based Machine Learning Solution for Professional Services clients.
- Impelemented k-means clustering for data discovery
- Created Naïve Bayes Classifier for grouping text into clusters.
- For client Match.com, converted analytics platform to Hadoop, incorporated text analytics into matching algorithms, completed recommendations.
- For client Laureate education, mined text documents from Hadoop for variables in analytical models built in R..
Wal-Mart, Bentonville, AR
- Architected a Hadoop-based solution for a customer-centric view of all Wal-Mart purchases on all channels (online, brick-and-mortar, etc)
- 450 node cluster size Running Cloudera.
- Integrated with Experian data for MDM / Identity Management of data.
TD Bank, Toronto ON Canada
- Architected Hadoop / HBase repository for financial AML (Anti-Money Laundering) compliance regulations.
- Ported analytical models from SAS to Hadoop/MapReduce
Equifax, Alpharetta, GA
- Architected Cloudera based Hadoop Cluster and performed install / administration of cluster.
Astellas (via NewVantage),
- Performed Hadoop analytical model using Mahout and R.
- Developed signal correlation studies in R on data to determine effects of specified signals on performance.
- Implemented POC project to demonstrate signal analytics.
- Calculated performance and Adherence calculations using Hive/MapReduce.
NewVantage Technologies, Boston, MA
- Architected Hadoop based solution for processing “Tick” DB and providing predictive analytical model for risk management and algorithmic trading.
- Model included Mahout/Hadoop based machine learning model
- Selected and annotated data for training.
- Designed Real-Time stream processor using Twitter Storm/Redis.
- Architected Hadoop-based Repository for banking data
- Configured ETL pipeline for mainframe and SAS source data.
Middle East Media, Dubai, UAE
- Implemented Social Media Sentiment Analysis Reporting Tool
- Used Apache Cassandra, Lucene/Solr
Daily Mail / Mail Online, London, UK
- Architected Data Analytics and User Recommendations solution for Daily Mail, the largest online newspaper site by traffic and by news articles served.
- Analyzed and delivered data architecture and strategy for Mail Online for web and mobile (Android/iPhone)
- Developed model using R / Rhadoop / MapReduce / Hbase
- Used Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Mahout, R, Lucene/Solr, DynamoDB, Amazon AWS, Java, Python, Ruby, Node.js, MongoDB, redis, Zookeeper, CFEngine.
- Interfaced with Oracle 11i Databases
- Architected data harvesting solution from web application.
- Performed Machine-Learning clustering on users using k-means
- Implemented personalized Recommendation algorithms for users based on article view history and cluster data.
- Performed entity extraction, sentiment analysis, and TF/IDF for clustering on user article comments and social media interfaces.
- Used Redis as a distributed key-value in-memory cache to quickly served stored results and aggregates to millions of users.
- Architected and developed Node-based REST web service for serving recommendations
- Deployed System to AWS: S3, EC2, EMR, as well as internal rack infastructure. Used Chef, Puppet, CF Engine to deploy.
SHMSoft, Houston, TX
- Developer on Big Data/Hadoop oriented solution for E-Discovery.
Geophysical Insights, Houston, TX
- Lead developer on big-data oriented analysis application for oil and gas industry.
- Applied Neural Network analysis for machine learning to generate probability maps.
- Used Apache Hadoop stack to perform analytics on large repositories of seismic and well log trace data.
- Implemented K-Means algorithm for clustering.
Rockwell Collins / Aptilla, Tustin, CA
- Led development and design of an internal web portal for employees
- Integrated solution incorporating most of Rockwell's internal Enterprise IT resources, including EDW, Oracle DB, ERP, etc.
- Implemented UX for web portal.
- Managed efforts of India-based team to deliver solution.
Evolver, Englewood CO/Fairfax, VA
- Lead Developer on a suite of business applications for legal services industry, focusing on e-discovery, and case management
- Implemented text mining of large document repositories including sentiment analysis, automatic summarization, LexRank/TexRank, keyword analysis.
- Performed statistical analysis of large document corpora.
- Implemented STT/ machine transcription using HMM.
- Developed and implemented Tables, Stored Procedures, triggers, and other SQL database objects for repository.
Cuattro, Boulder, CO / India
- Stayed in India for 4 months to direct and manage efforts of Indian development team
- Developed 2 generations of control interface for a medical imaging device, communicating with DICOM standard.
- Implemented Test Driven Development using mocks and unit tests.
Starz, Englewood, CO, http://www.starz.com/
- Developed J2EE-based web services for delivering video on demand media content to clients.
- Developed recommendation algorithms using collaborative filtering and machine learning to suggest new content to users based on likes and dislikes
ReFrameIt, Boulder, CO,
- Developer for community based social commenting system for news, blogs, and internet information.
- Developed a managed (C#) Internet Explorer extension for storing community-based comments and discussions on web content.
- Processed social media (twitter/facebook) using company provided API to perform sentiment analysis and
- Performed automatic summarization using TexRank/LexRank
- Used Machine Learning techniques for automatic clustering and classification.
Biomedical Technology Solutions, Englewood, CO,
- Developed web service service for collection of biomedical results data from data collection devices.
- Implemented DB stored procedures, triggers, and reports to process and analyze data.
- Directed Development
Drive The Web, LLC, Denver, CO -- Acquired by PR Newswire
- Contributed to development of Mediaroom 2.0; a J2EE based solution for corporate press release management, search, analysis, and categorization.
- Developed crawler / bot software to automatically gather and process press release text and ETL into Database.
- Developed analytics software to mine, report, and summarize press release information.
Ripple Applications, Denver, CO, http://www.rippleapplications.com/
- Performed statistical analysis on customer data using ‘R’.
6/2004-9/2004: Intel Corporation, Chandler, AZ
Contract Design Engineer, Platform Validation Solutions
- Software Engineer for “Turmoil,” an object-oriented C++ automated-test solution for wireless handsets.
1/2001 - 9/2003: National Semiconductor, Longmont, CO
Design Engineer, Information Appliances Division
- Developed system software for information appliance reference platforms.
- RTL Design engineer for key microprocessor functions.
- Performed silicon validation on x86 microprocessor.
2/1999 - 11/2000 Global Partners (UK), South Asia
IT Project Manager for NGO, South Asia
- Directed IT strategies and implemented software and IT projects for NGO operations in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Oversaw the efforts of junior expatriate and national staff.
- Gained working language proficiency in Urdu, Hindi, Dari/Persian, and Pashto languages.
8/1996 - 1/1999 Hewlett-Packard Company, Fort Collins, CO
Hardware Development Engineer, Fort Collins Systems Lab
- Design Engineer for Workstation Graphics Adapter product.
- Used HP-UX (Unix), C/C++, PERL and other software tools to support job tasks
5/1995 - 5/1996 VT Spatial Data Analysis Lab, Blacksburg, VA
Student Research Assistant
- Contributed to machine vision research project funded by FAA.
1993 - 1995 Mobil Oil Corporation, Fairfax, VA
- Contributed to client/server multi-platform database system.
- Wrote most of the Oracle database SQL queries for software client.
- Designed and implemented server-side application using C (gcc).
1992 - 1996 Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
B.S. Computer Engineering
- VT Distinguished Scholars, T. Marshall Hahn Engineering Scholarship
- Performed Natural Language Processing research as part of Artificial Intelligence coursework and project work.