One Classy Dish Recipe
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH & QUINOA SOUP
1. Cut butternut squash in half & clean out center. Chop squash into 1" cubes & remove skin.
Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil over the squash & coat cubes evenly. Add salt & pepper & toss squash to coat all cubes.
2. Place chopped cubes on baking sheet & roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes
or until tender or easy to pierce with a fork.
3. Chop half of a large onion into small pieces. Clean & peel carrots & dice into small rounds.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the chopped carrots, onion, & minced garlic, & sauté until the vegetables are tender.
Add squash & stir to combine all ingredients.
5. Pour in the chicken or veggie broth & ginger then stir. Bring the mixture to a simmer & cook until the vegetables are very tender, 20-30 minutes.
6. Time for the blender! But first, allow the soup to cool for at least 10 minutes. DO NOT skip this step or your kitchen will be a mess! Of course, you could always use a handheld blender. Puree the cooked vegetable mixture until it is smooth. Return the pureed soup to the pan, stir in the cooked quinoa & add salt & pepper, to taste.
7. This part is optional but highly recommended, it really adds some great texture & topping to the soup. Melt a little butter in a small skillet. Add the panko crumbs & cook, stirring frequently, until light golden brown. Then stir in the Parmesan cheese. Pour into a bowl & top each portion with some of the toasted breadcrumbs & parsley.
You can use sweet potatoes in place of the butternut squash. If you do not have quinoa you do not have to add it for this soup to be delicious. Also for a more bold taste you can add fresh ginger, or if ginger is not your thing you can omit it from the recipe all together.