Financial Aid FAQs
What should I expect from NICC after submitting my FAFSA?
- Approximately one week after you submit your FAFSA, the Federal Student Aid will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) that estimates the amount of financial aid that you may be eligible for.
- NICC will notify you, via mail and email, once your FAFSA has been received at the College.
- Log into Self Service for Students, accessible through MyCampus, and review your Financial Aid Checklist. The Checklist will walk you through the step by step process of completing your financial aid file.
- If you have required documents to take action on, follow the links and submit the information to NICC as soon as possible.
- Wait for notification (sent to your NICC email address) that your NICC Offer Letter is ready to view in Self Service Financial Aid.
- An Offer Letter explains the funding you may be eligible to receive such as federal and state grants, scholarships, student loans and work study. It is an estimate based on full-time enrollment and may change based on program of study, enrollment levels and other criteria.
- Once you have applied to the College for Admission and have been accepted into a program, grant/scholarship money will be automatically applied to your tuition and fees. If students wish to use student loans to finance their education, additional steps are required to accept loans.
- View your account balance in Self Service Student Finance in order to determine how much aid you have or will need in order to pay for your tuition and fees.
How and where do I access my Financial Aid information?
Students will access their specific student financial aid information by selecting the Self Service for Student Task within MyCampus. Select Financial Aid to view your checklist.
Self Service - Financial Aid will provide the following information for the student:
- Financial Aid Checklist - Make sure you complete all necessary steps
- Required Documents
- View, Accept, and Decline offers
- View Offer Letter
- Shopping Sheet
What are Required Documents?
Missing Documents are forms and Student eForms that need to be completed to verify accuracy of information to use financial aid.
What is financial aid?
Financial Aid consists of grants, student loans, work study, and scholarships. This aid is available to assist students in paying for college. It may not cover all of your expenses,
so it is important to plan and then budget.
How do I get financial aid?
To determine a student’s eligibility for federal, state and NICC funding opportunities, a student must first complete the FAFSA on the studentaid.gov website. Early application may increase your funding options. The FAFSA is available to complete beginning October 1st every year prior to the year you plan to begin attending college.
Can I qualify for state grants?
If you are a resident of Iowa and meet eligibility criteria, you may be eligible for grants and scholarships including the Iowa Last Dollar Scholarship, Kibbie Grant and Vo-Tech Grant. You must be enrolled in specific programs and meet the FAFSA filing deadline.
- Kibbie Grant and Vo-Tech Grant - Deadline is on or before July 1 for the next fall
- Last Dollar Scholarship - Deadline is on or before August 1 for the next fall
- Visit Iowa College Aid for more detailed information
What are the different types of financial aid?
- Grants – Gift aid that does not have to be paid back, except in some circumstances if you do not complete the semester. Examples include; Pell, SEOG, Kibbie, and Iowa Vo-Tech.
- Student Loans – Borrowed money that accrues interest that will need to be paid back by the student. Examples include: Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent Plus, and private.
- Work Study – Money that you earn through campus student employment and is paid directly to you in a paycheck.
- Scholarships - Gift aid that a student applies for based on certain criteria. NICC awards scholarships annually with an April 1 priority deadline. Easy and convenient to apply at https://www.nicc.edu/financial-aid/scholarships/.
The Financial Aid Office is located within the Student Services department.
Office Hours: Monday- Friday 7:30am - 4:30pm
Email general questions email@example.com
Call us at 844-642-2338
Calmar Campus - Student Center
Peosta Campus - location TBD (campus is currently under construction)