EPICS Version 4 Telecon, 12-Apr-2016

Agenda

0. Usual status, AIs, pull requests

   Andrew’s LGPL issue on pvAccessCPP.

1. 4.6 planning. Time table. Andrew, do we have a schedule yet?

2. Training planning

3. Testing the water on effort to review goals and things missing from EPICS and EPICS V4 in general. Andrew mentions (things we could use): adding developer effort, technical writers, training updates. What are our technical goals?

   Don’t plan to list them in meeting, just getting feedback on how that might be tackled.

Minutes

Present: AJ, GW, MS, MK, DH, MD

Chair: GW

Scribe: GW

Status:

TOPIC: Andrew’s LGPL issue on pvAccessCPP.

Resolution: We’ll regularize pvAccessCPP to use the standard epics pattern matching so that the same license can be used everywhere (MIT), incl pvAccessCPP.

AI MS: pvAccessCPP to use EPICS version, as below:

There is a wild-card string matching function provided in Base-3.14 libCom/misc/epicsString.c (#include <epicsString.h>)

int epicsStrGlobMatch(const char *str, const char *pattern);

MK: Question on which license we decided on.

Cons: looks like we previously decided on MIT.

NEW TOPIC: 4.6 planning

AJ: If we want a release for Lund meeting

Then, nominally we’d be looking at this schedule:

RC: by 28th Apr

Pre-rel: this thursday! (4/14)

Freeze last Thursday.

GW: Asking DH and others, when would we need freeze in order to do RC on 28th?

DH: would like as much time as possible. How long do we need between API freeze and RC. Don’t need that much time.

AJ: We don’t in fact need a freeze.

GW: Do you want freedom to make freezing decisions on module by module basis yourself.

DH: Would like the following included:

AI on GW: Set up Release tracker, both spreadsheet and the text file for the 4.6 release.

MD: No qSrv in this release.

GW: what about prototype gateway?

MD: depends on unreleased changes to pv Access/Data.

MD: There is a possible contentious inclusion there - in java that may be a big deal.

AJ: Is there a pull-request for that?

MD: no.

AJ: sounds like we can’t do it [for java] this time.

MD: <describes what he needs added to java>. Additional method for giving statistics, so can see why a monitor has stalled.

MS: why not possible to add in java.

MD: because we’ll be adding a method to a java Interface, so dependent’s won’t compile.

GW: Still needs a compile with Java 6.

AI on MD MS: answer on gateway in 4.6 (cpp) next week.

MD: inclination is to say no, since little testing.

MD: If I comment out the stats method, then it would be compatible with 4.6.

Sub-topic: AJ: Should we discuss changes to interfaces in Lund?

NEW TOPIC: Training planning

DH: Is in touch with Timo. ESS supplied VM. Diamond lining up a trainer to help on materials and teaching. DH is having a run through at Diamond on 29th! ~3 weeks then to tune.

NEW TOPIC: What’s missing in EPICS?

Consensus for now: funding for developers.

AJ: Likes that DH is working with a professional trainer.

Other business: AJ mentions outstanding pull requests.

MK: pvDatabaseCPP?

AJ: Yes.

No

Action

Assignee

Target Date

Status

2

See who can fund dbGroup/Qsrv going on

GW

assigned

5

Write the one license file (using the MIT license in most cases)

AJ

assigned

6

Update your module to include copy of that one LICENSE. Update your headers to contain the header text.

ALL MODULE OWNERS

wait on 5

7

On your module pages, remove the current/previous links; replace “Working Draft” with version number of module, which has its own numbering scheme, like 5.0.2 for pvDataCPP. Eg “Version 5.0.2 18/Nov/2015”

AJ check status, ALL MODULE OWNERS

5-Mar-2016

assigned

10

Simplify Literature page and home page to help users find novice oriented documentation.

GW

assigned

16

Commit changes to all modules, other than exampleCPP and pvDatabaseCPP, which set the shared library versions

MD

assigned

17

Monitor changes pull request (AI from meeting 15-Mar-2016, http://tinyurl.com/zqa3qyp

MD

5-Apr-2016

assigned