General Body Meeting

10/23/16

9:00PM-12:00AM, Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. Vice Provost for University Life (VPUL)
  2. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  3. International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
  1. TAP Registration Hold Update
  2. PSG Steering
  3. FGLI Center Opening
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. Past UA Steering
  2. Upcoming UA Steering
  3. UC Steering
  4. UA-NEC Flex Seat Working Group
  1. UA Report
  1. New Members
  2. SPT Confirmation
  3. Office Hours
  4. Lineages
  5. Social Chair
  6. External Seats
  7. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  2. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttle Coordinators
  1. Budget Committee
  1. Election II of Budget and Finance Committee 2016-2017
  2. Penn Labs Annual Budget Reallocation
  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  1. Backpack Policy in Van Pelt Library
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Recycling Bins in Van Pelt Library
  1. Social Justice
  1. Project Updates
  1. Social Justice Scholars Program
  2. Pennvolvement
  3. UA/Penn Leads the Vote Civic Engagement Guide
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. “Even at Penn” Video Series
  1. Completion Reports
  1. IFC New Member Education
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  1. Meeting With Director of OFSL
  2. Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience
  1. External Seats
  1. Student Financial Services Advisory Board
  2. Residential Services Advisory Board
  3. Dining Services Advisory Board
  4. Legal Services
  1. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. President’s Report
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. Vice Provost for University Life (VPUL)
  1. The UA met with Vice Provost for University Life Val Cade, Associate Vice Provost for Health and Academic Services Max King, and Bill Alexander, Director of CAPS. We discussed the UA and SAC’s plans to decrease the competitiveness of student group culture, membership, and recruitment, and ways to expand CAPS’ accessibility like text reminders and Skype meetings. We also briefed VPUL on the UA’s plans to create single semester mental health leave and expand half-credit courses. One key takeaway is that VPUL is going to look into assigning each student a Wellness Partner on PennInTouch, similar to how SRFS recently assigned each student an SRFS contact.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. The Council of Undergraduate Deans met this week and spent the vast majority of the meeting discussing the issue of course costs, which was brought up as a topic by the UA and SCUE. Students from Penn First came to present their first-hand experiences with unexpected course costs. SCUE and the UA framed the issue across two dimensions: making costs more transparent and reducing costs. SRFS is going to explore having an institutional review process for mandatory course costs (particularly lab fees). The Dean of Engineering, Russ Composto, said that the Engineering School would add course costs as an evaluation metric for new courses immediately, and over time will phase it in as they review existing courses. The UA, SCUE, and PennFirst are going to create an executive summary of our recommendations to give to the Deans next week. CUD also discussed the 2019-2020 academic calendar, Provost teaching awards, and the creation of a central online resource about Penn’s bereavement policies and resources. This project is the result of work done by Actively Moving Forward, Penn’s peer support network for students who experience loss of a loved one during their undergraduate experience.
  1. International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
  1. Cabinet is meeting with administrators from ISSS on Wednesday, 10/26.
  1. TAP Registration Hold Update
  1. After consulting the UA and SCUE, the Provost’s Office has formally detached completion of TAP programming with registration hold for upperclassmen. The UA and SCUE will both be working with the Provost’s Office to improve TAP, so if you are interested in getting involved with that initiative please let me know.
  1. PSG Steering
  1. PSG Steering met on Sunday, 10/23.
  1. FGLI Center Opening
  1. Penn’s new First Generation Low Income student resource center is having a grand opening ceremony this Thursday from 5:00-7:00pm at Greenfield Intercultural Center.
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. Past UA Steering
  1. This past Tuesday, UA Steering met with Chaz Howard (University Chaplain) and Steven Kocher (Associate Chaplain). We discussed religious and spirituality life on campus and how the Chaplain’s Office is working with faculty and agencies like CAPS to help improve student life. There was also a new membership request and we will be voting on their membership next Steering.
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. Next Tuesday, we will be having Steering with the Provost Price and Vice Provost for Education (Beth Winkelstein) at 7pm in Starbucks under Commons. Please note the time change. We will be discussing many pertinent academic issues. Please let me know if you have any questions you would like me to bring up at the meeting.
  1. UC Steering
  1. Last Wednesday, I attended UC Steering with members of the Council and two GAPSA representatives. We discussed previous UC meeting and spoke about relevant agenda items for next UC meeting. Open forum will be on November 30th.
  1. UA-NEC Working Group
  1. Over the past few weeks, Michael, Eric and I have been meeting with the Nominations chairs from the NEC to discuss Flex Seats for the University Council. We have been brainstorming ways to reconcile our differences in our bylaws to ensure that there will be concrete steps moving forward. We will be meeting throughout the year.

  1. UA Report
  1. New Members
  1. This week the Nominations and Elections Committee held special elections to fill in 3 vacant College Seats. Please join me in welcoming Kevin Myers, Gabrielle Jackson and Samara Wyant. New members will be placed on committees by tomorrow afternoon.
  1. SPT Confirmation
  1. According to the UA Bylaws, Section II Article 21: “By the end of the first meeting held after their election the Speaker shall appoint, with the advice and consent of the UA, a Speaker Pro Tempore who shall assist the Speaker and chair meetings of the UA in the absence of the Speaker.” Speaker Pro Tempore is a Cabinet-level position who works closely with the Speaker in helping with the Speaker’s education initiatives, supporting the directors, and performing other tasks alongside. The Speaker Pro Tempore also fills in for the Speaker in the case that the Speaker is unable to execute his responsibilities.

After discussion with the Executive Board, I have decided to re-appoint Eric Tepper as Speaker Pro Tempore. I am confident that he will continue to serve the body judiciously.

  1. Office Hours
  1. I will be holding weekly office hours on Wednesday 1-2pm in the UA Office, 6.30-7.30pm in Starbucks Under Commons and Friday 3-4pm in the UA Office. I will send an E-mail notification if I need to make changes on a specific week.
  1. Lineages
  1. Now that we have our new members, I finalized the UA lineages for the 44th Session. I will be announcing them at the end of Communications.
  1. Social Chair
  1. I will be appointing a Social Chair to assist me with planning UA social events and bonding activities. Applications will be out in the next 24 hours. Everyone can apply! The time commitment will be 2-3 hours per week.
  1. External Seats
  1. I am working on finalizing all external seats for this session. If you have not heard from anyone about the seat that you were assigned to, please let me know. There are a few seats that I will be assigning this week, giving priority to those who still do not have any seats.
  1. Member of the Week. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

Secretary’s Report

  1. Airport Shuttles
  1. The Airport Shuttle Coordinators for this year will be Jordan Andrews, Simon Miller, and Elena Hoffman. Our first step is to get into contact with Penn Transit and we will go from there.

Budget Committee


Election II of Budget and Finance Committee 2016-2017

Authored by: Exec

This committee is comprised of the treasurer and two additional UA members.  Due to one of the members becoming Speaker, we will be electing a new member tonight.  Responsibilities include overseeing the funds of the UA, preparing the annual budget, reviewing all contingency requests, and periodically auditing the records of the UA and all of its constituent parts (Constitution Article IX Section 34).

Penn Labs Annual Budget Reallocation

Authored by: Budget Committee

 

Due to less workers this year, Penn Labs has a surplus of $1000 in their line item for wages.  They would like to reallocate those funds.

 

Penn Labs

 

 

 

 

16-17 Request

16-17 Grant

16-17 New Request

Operations

$50.00

$50.00

$50.00

Technology Supplies

$300.00

$300.00

$300.00

Wages

$8272.00

$8272.00

$7272.00

New Servers on Digital Ocean

N/A

N/A

$300.00

Marketing

N/A

N/A

$200.00

Social Media Advertising

N/A

N/A

$250.00

Domain Renewals

N/A

N/A

$150.00

Server Backups

N/A

N/A

$100.00

Total

$8622.00

$8622.00

$8622.00


Academic Initiatives



Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities


Project Updates

Backpack Policy in Van Pelt Library

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

Thursday, I met with the Van Pelt Library Manager of Library Facilities, Sal Caputo, and two other Van Pelt staff members to discuss the backpack check policy. Mr. Caputo explained he isn’t rewriting the backpack check policy and that the policy had always been in place; now he intends to actually enforce the policy. Mr. Caputo made it clear that he does not wish to inconvenience anybody, and because of this, he is going to be rolling out the new enforcement plan slowly and tweaking details of it until it is being executed as efficiently as possible.

 

For this reason, Mr. Caputo has chosen not to begin the stricter backpack checks on November 1st. Instead, the plan is going to start when students return to Penn from winter break, as the absence of students and traffic through VPL during the winter will allow the security guards to have more free time available to train. Additionally, Mr. Caputo is in the process of doing research on the exact times where the line of people leaving Van Pelt is at its peak and the average time it takes to check a bag. He suggested that during these prime time hours, the security guards might be allowed to revert to a “let six people pass with a glance inside an open backpack (essentially the process we have now), and pull the seventh person in for a spontaneous full bag check.” When I brought up the situation faced by students that have class in Van Pelt and need to leave the library as quickly as possible to reach their other class halfway across campus ten minutes later, Mr. Caputo and I agreed that there should be some way to expedite the process for them, such as give them a pass to be allowed a quick glance pass when attempting to exit Van Pelt at a highly traffic filled time.

 

In addition to all of this, Mr. Caputo said he would be implementing four new Work Study positions once this plan officially rolls out. I forget the exact term that Mr. Caputo used to describe them, but essentially, they will serve as the “Van Pelt Experience Team” with hopes of improving the Van Pelt experience for everyone. They will be library workers that will roam around the library rather than sit behind a desk. This will hopefully make things more convenient for students that want to get a quick question answered without having to walk all the way to a library information desk. They will also walk around the front of VPL and both answer questions from people entering the library, and greeting the people leaving VPL and reminding them to open up their backpacks. Mr. Caputo also wants to start a VPL Experience Committee come spring semester, where a group of VPL staffers and students will meet about once or twice a month to discuss how the Van Pelt Experience can be improved for everyone. I was asked to serve on this committee once it’s implemented, and I’m sure Mr. Caputo would be open to adding more interested UA students to the team.

Completion Reports

Recycling Bins in Van Pelt Library

Authored by: Dante Miele-Elion

In response to complaints about a lack of recycling bins in small rooms in Van Pelt, I reached out to Sal Caputo, the Manager of Library Facilities. Sal has since ordered recycling bins.


Social Justice


Project Updates

Social Justice Scholars Program

Authored by: Justin Hopkins

After several months of discussions between administrators, Dean Jackson of the School of Social Policy and Practice, Ray Clark, and myself, the Social Justice Scholars Program is set to be enacted for the 2017-18 fall term. This semester, Ray and I have met with Dean Jackson on several occasions to establish a strong programmatic infrastructure and to fine-tune the program’s content details to distinguish it from the similarly constructed Civic Scholars Program. This semester, Dean Jackson, Ray, and I will continue to meet for this purpose. Details of the program’s specifics will follow thereafter.

Pennvolement

Authored by: Kaylee and Aren

For the past two months, we have been working with Penn Labs to perfect the Pennvolvement website, as well as meeting with larger student organizations to get them signed up. We met with the Netter Center, Civic House and had an announcement made during SAC to all student organizations to sign up. All organizations said they were interested in using the tool. However, there were errors in the website that set the project back. Some of the interested organizations created usernames and passwords to enter their opportunities, but in fixing bugs in the website, all usernames and passwords were momentarily not recognized in the system. Furthermore, even though around 9 organizations registered, there were only 2 listings posted that the public were able to see. Moving forward, we sent a list of changes that the website needs to Penn Labs and are meeting with our point person this week. From there, the website will need to be heavily pushed to organizations until we reach around 20 listings that the public can see. Then the website will be advertised in the DP, all school email, and social media.

UA/Penn Leads the Vote Voter Civic Engagement Guide

Authored by: Tunmise Fawole

Penn Leads the Vote is a non-partisan organization that I'm partnering with to develop a civic engagement guide for the election. We spoke about including frequently asked questions(when voting opens and closes, polling locations, where you have to be to vote, etc.) as well as sources to get information on national, congressional, as well as platform information on other races (i.e. attorney general, treasurer, etc.) We're working to have the information compiled by the end of the weekend and finish development of the guide by the end of the week so the UA and PLTV can circulate it.

Discussion Papers

“Even at Penn” Video Series

Authored by: Jordan Andrews and Natasha Menon

 

Background:

 

On October 10, the DP published an article covering alleged racist comments made by a College House Executive. Unfortunately, while this situation received a lot of publicity, most instances of injustice on campus do not. We envision this project as an anonymous video series awareness campaign that will zero in on discriminatory rhetoric and actions that can negatively affect students. The project acknowledges that some students on campus are frequently targeted not only for their racial backgrounds, but also for their sexual orientations, gender identities, disabilities, religious affiliations, and socioeconomic statuses.

                                                                            

The purpose of this campaign is to dispel the myth that deep-­rooted prejudice does not exist in our diverse, intellectual community while encouraging students to speak out against perpetrators. Many organizations on campus represent various marginalized communities, but this project could help unify members of these groups in solidarity against all discrimination on campus. We do not seek to antagonize individuals at Penn, but rather to depict the everyday realities of those whose stories are often left untold.

 

Over the past week, we have met with Students Organizing for Unity and Liberation (SOUL), and have reached out to the Muslim Students Association (MSA), Penn Anti-Violence Educators (PAVE), Abuse and Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP), Queer People of Color (QPOC), the United Minorities Council (UMC), and Programs in Religion, Interfaith, and Spirituality Matters (PRISM). We hope to also partner with the DP to publicize the video series and reach out to other clubs on campus, like PennFirst. While we have only established partnerships with SOUL and MSA so far, other organizations we have contacted seem enthusiastic about the idea and just want more information before partnering with us.

 

We plan to use the equipment from Weigle Commons to shoot the videos over a three­ day period (subject to change). We can then begin editing in the following weeks in collaboration with the DP. We would like to release the videos regularly, either daily or twice a week. Hopefully the UA Communications Team and UA members can assist the spread of this campaign by sharing and publicizing it on social media.

 

Discussion Questions

 

  1. Should we have our own website where there can be a forum for students to respond to and discuss the videos? Could this happen on the DP website?
  2. What other groups, if any, should we reach out to?
  3. How should anonymity be established on camera? Should our videos show blurred out screens? Just text? Footage of Penn’s campus?
  4. How often should we release the videos and how many should we make?

Completion Reports

IFC New Member Education

Authored by: Justin Hopkins

In light of recent events surrounding several all-male organizations, I decided to engage with the Interfraternity Council to discover what policies could be changed to minimize the chance of these events happening in the future and to attack the toxic components of all-male organization culture. Although the primary event in question involved an off campus fraternity, the Interfraternity Council rightly saw this situation as a way to review its own policies. Thus, I began a series of negotiations with the IFC executive board to discuss new member education policy. After these meetings, the IFC agreed to introduce a new, powerful measure. For MARS education programming, each fraternity is supposed to send 80% of its new pledge class. To motivate each fraternity to send more than required, the IFC agreed after our discussion to publish in the Daily Pennsylvanian the exact percentages of each fraternity’s pledge class that attends this MARS education programming. When a fraternity does not reach the minimum percentage, the entire student body will now know. Conversely, when a fraternity goes above and beyond the minimum percentage, the entire student body will also know. This policy will create an increased system of accountability previously nonexistent among on campus fraternities, and it will go in full effect for the new group of fraternity members in January.


Student Life


Project Updates

Meeting With Director of OFSL

Authored by: Samantha Shea

On Thursday I met with the Director of OFSL, Eddie Banks-Crosson. We talked about the reaccreditation process, on-campus registered parties, and possible collaboration between Greek life and other umbrella organizations on campus. If anyone has any ideas about any of these topics, especially the third topic, please reach out to me.

Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience

Authored by: Riad Hamade, Jay Shah, and Brian Goldstein

Mental Health is a multi-faceted issue and one aspect that needs a closer look at Penn is the club recruitment process. After getting feedback from students who have gone through the process and having gone through the process ourselves, we realize that there are certain aspects of club recruitment that need to be reviewed and possibly changed. Freshman very early on in their Penn career are hit with rejections followed by rejections. We believe that this sets a early negative tone on the Penn experience, and it should not be that way. Moreover, in their first few weeks students should focus on transitioning healthily into college, rather than stressing over club applications. Students end up applying to numerous clubs because there isn't enough time to explore all the clubs in full detail.

Furthermore, the issue was addressed in a DP op-Ed, Upperclassmen, remember the human, authored by Sarah Simon. The article sheds light on the club recruitment process, and one that you should definitely take a look at if you haven’t. To address issues regarding the recruitment process, Wharton Council made a list of policies that would apply to all organizations under Wharton Council. This is also something to look at.

Seeing these progressions, we really believe that something has to be done and that is why we are taking a look at this issue. Combined, Jay and Riad have met with Jeremy Cohen, SAC Chair, three times thus far. However, should we choose to proceed with this, we will be collaborating with SAC on this project. From the Administrative side, Jay brought the project up at the meeting with Val Cade, Vice Provost for University Life and we have full support from her office however we choose to proceed. Likewise, Jay has talked to Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli briefly about this matter, and he also mentioned his concern and support for this issue.

The next step is to send out a survey to students with a purpose of identify how students feel overall about the process. Another survey will only be sent out to clubs in SAC, asking them to provide information about club information/recruitment process.


External Seats


Student Financial Services Advisory Board

Authored by: Samantha Shea

This past Wednesday, the SFSAB had their second meeting. At this meeting we talked about the roll-out of the new FAFSA and how it affects undergraduate and graduate students. Other topics of discussion include an article that is potentially going to be written focused around letters with supposed complaints against SFS, the overall SFS website (shoutout to the memes), and finally an event that Penn First is hosting call "Financial Aid is Scary" on October 26th at 5pm in JMHH 260.

 

Residential Services Advisory Board

Authored by: Lawrence Perry

This week RSAB met and had a guest presentation from students looking to pilot Instant Light Automation. Their technology would be minimally intrusive, yet effective at lowering Penn’s energy cost (an estimated savings of $7.7 million per year). They came to RSAB to pitch their proposal. The main topic of discussion was retention in college houses. Jane Pablos, the Residential Service Manager of Du Bois College House, has suggested adding a room retention option to the occupancy agreement. This would allow students to potentially keep the same room year to year, particularly in four year houses, but excluding New College House. The idea will be formally pursued pending RSAB receiving the formal proposal from Jane Pablos. J2, the marketing company for Penn Residential Services, has been contacted about the 360° room tour by John Eckman, Director of Residential Services.

 

 Dining Services Advisory Board

Authored by: Lawrence Perry

This week the student group met to discuss the upcoming meeting with administrators. The key discussion topic was marketing the Meatless Monday idea. Several angles are being explored (Sustainability, Healthy Living, Farm partnerships). Endorsements from student groups are necessary, as well for this campaign to launch smoothly. Potential groups include all of the members of DAB plus other groups. DAB seemed to approve of Penn Dining approach to swipe conversion. More information is needed on SFS current model of emergency meal swipes. Next full meetings topics are: Allergen Training for Staff, Expansion of Dining Dollars, and full discussion of UA dining proposals.    

Legal Services Update

Authored by: Taylor Becker

UA Legal Services has finally hit the ground running, with 5 students meeting with our UA Attorney this past Monday! Our attorney Mr. Higgins said he thought it was very well-managed and did not have any feedback for improvement as far as the process went. Throughout the rest of the year I would love to hear your feedback on how we can continue to spread the word about UA Legal Services. (We have served 7 students so far, and have had many more requests, but people's issues are usually resolved before meeting with our attorney.) I think our goal should be to exhaust our UA Legal Services budget allocation so that we can allocate even more for next year! This is arguably one of the coolest things the UA does, and one of the most tangible ways students can see the UA helping them.


  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  1. Members of the Public-Jason and Adam from Penn Labs
  2. Calvary- Can we maybe get extension cords? It would be good to start a project regarding this
  1. Kyle- Nothing is being done right now but we can look into this
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. Vice Provost for University Life (VPUL)
  1. Val Cade, Bill Alexander the director of CAPS, and Max King were there. Please let me know if you want elaboration on any of the topics
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. They are the 4 deans that are present VP Winkelstein chairs the meeting. The agenda is usually driven by the Vice Provost but this year it is driven by students
  2. Students from Penn-First came to deans, who might not hear from that perspective. The engineering school, every student is going to be evaluated differently. When courses have costs, they will evaluate that. Nursing students have to buy certain things and we will be working with SRFS with SCUE to talk about that. There were over 500 responses in the survey. This week me, SCUE and Penn First will be meeting to put together a executive summary. They did not really budge on printing credit. They said that they were concerned about the environment. I want to thank Rus from Engineering for being a model for other people. What are the resource networks that I can tap into. There will be a resource on the website on how to approach things. We talked about the calendar and discussed that. That is off the record for now. Parents weekend- what we can do-more feedback maybe someone can work with them.
  3. Questions-
  1. Krone-Instead of free printing, maybe a digital copy for all things?
  1. It is hard to enforce because tenured professors have a lot of jurisdiction and its really hard to enforce. Provost office can’t even really enforce. We told them about trips and all that but even that is hard. Main issue is that all the schools own their own supplies including IT workers.
  1. Ian- What did the Nursing School dean say?
  1. Lab fees and clinicals have not been thought about this seriously at the dean level. She did say that they are going through a curriculum review and want to take the cost into consideration. She did want to continue the conversation. We can be in touch with the Nursing School Advisory board. We need to look at what can be covered by penn grants
  1. Kaylee- I wanted to talk about the ability to even print at some of these locations
  1. CUD would never get on that level of technological aspects. 
  1. Lawrence- Bereavement Policy: is CAPS already informed of this policy?
  1. They were informed of this. The other side is students and  when students look up on website for the policy, there is nothing there. That is what we are trying to address.
  1. Jay- I have heard that the printing money actually comes from the tuition and is not actually free.
  1. Majority of the money goes back to the school. Wharton and Engineering give some money back to the students
  1. Krone- Course costs-did you discuss online cost course?
  1. Dean Deturck was against it but we will work on it. Professors should be putting online quizzes on canvas instead of some other sites.
  1. Steph- We get $20 a semester, not $40 like you said. By free printing do you mean allowances?
  1. No allowances
  1. Jason- Would a system be feasible to adapt that would allow professors to track pages?
  1. I don't know about that
  1. International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
  1. If you want anything on the agenda please tell your director as soon as possible
  1. TAP Registration Hold Update
  1. This was in the DP, but it was initiated by us. Because the rollout was so slow we believed that it should not be attached to registration hold. So it is no longer attached to the registration hold for this semester. They want more feedback on how to make it better
  1. PSG Steering
  1. We met today at 7. State of the School that the NEC puts on in November was moved to some time in January. They are looking for feedback.
  1. Krone- Did they say the location
  1. It is totally flexible with a cost limit
  1. FGLI Center Opening
  1. Exciting that this is opening. If you want to go there, it will be at 5-7 PM on Thursday at Greenfield Intercultural Center.
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. Past UA Steering
  1. Sola-Chaz Howard was there. We talked about religious life and how they are working with CAPS to improve student life. Got a new membership request from Kite and Key
  1. Upcoming UA Steering
  1. Sola-We will be meeting with Provost Price and Vice Provost Beth Winkelstein at 7 PM in Starbucks under Commons. Cabinet must be there
  1. UC Steering        
  1. Sola-I met with UC, Members of the Council, and GAPSA. One main things is that open forum will be on Nov 30th.
  1. Simon-where will it be?
  1. Bodek lounge- open to public once a month
  1. UA-NEC Flex Seat Working Group
  1. Sola-Me, Michael Krone, and Eric Tepper are part of a working group for this seat. Our goal is to come to consensus about what to do with this seat. We want an official written document.
  1. UA Report
  1. New Members
  1. Gabrielle Jackson, Samara Wyant, Kevin Myers
  1. SPT Confirmation
  1. Confirm Eric Tepper as SPT
  1. Voted in by affirmation
  1. Office Hours
  1. I will be holding office hours 1-2 Wednesday, 6:30-7:30 Starbucks under Common, Fri 3-4 in UA office. This week I will be in Boston
  1. Elena- I'm curious as to what office hours are?
  1. Anything UA related or just hang out too
  1. Lineages        
  1. I will announce them at the end
  1. Social Chair
  1. I will be appointing a social chair. I will send out an application.
  1. External Seats
  1. If you have not heard about your seat, please let me know.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Elena
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  2. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttle Coordinators
  1. Jordan, Simon, and Elena. Next step will be to coordinate a meeting with Penn Transit  
  1. Budget Committee
  1. Penn Labs Annual Budget Reallocation
  1. Michelle-Penn labs is requesting a re-allocation of the budget. They want to move $1000 from wages to all the things that are underneath it in the line items.
  2. Adam- We have new members and they usually don't get paid for the first semester. We don't really need that money going to wages right now. We want a bigger social media presence and also servers. Instagram and facebook.
  3. Questions:
  1. Jordan-Will this create any problems for next semester?
  1. Adam-This is taking into account both semesters. And this is only for this year
  1. Jason- are there disadvantages for this
  1. Michelle- we just have to vote on it
  1. Max- are they student you employ under work study
  1. Jason- no they are not
  1. Pro Con
  1. Kat- Pro- instead of letting money go to waste
  2. Sam S- Pro- side with budget committee
  3. Kaylee- Pro- This would help would with my project
  1. Election II of Budget and Finance Committee 2016-2017
  1. Michelle- Its very important that you understand the time commitments. You are working a lot of hours during the Spring.
  2. Kat- i think you guys are going to like working on this committee. Please be responsive. It's a really good learning experience.
  3. Lawrence, Max. Elena accept nomination
  4. Lawrence- Thank you for coming. I'm studying PPE. I am not new to budgeting and finance. Treasurer of Penn Dems and CO -Chair and Synergy. This gives me a unique perspective. I have allocated and asked for money. I have talked to Kat, Michelle, and Riad. It is a lot of money. Knowing that the UA funds all the clubs is a big responsibility. I always think about the marginal utility when making decisions. I am dedicated to the body in terms of time commitments. Contingency- things come up. Need someone who understands why a club needs money.
  5. Max- Freshman in the College. One thing that is important is clarity over certainty. Many clubs want you make a decision without being certain. You need the ability to make decision. I think I would be able to settle a lot of disputes. After talking to Kat and Nile, this is something I am committed to. I ran a city level Boys scouts event and I think that would really help me.
  6. Elena- I rescind my nomination
  7. Questions:
  1. Krone- Why do you think you are a better candidate than the other person?
  1. Max- We are both qualified. We don't know each other well. I pay attention to detail. You need to be able to see everything.
  2. Lawrence- I look forward to working with Max. I have dealt with running Synergy and Treasurer of Penn Dems. I am used to cold calls.
  1. Justin- Can you both speak about your unique position? Lawrence more experience etc
  1. Lawrence- I have sat on proposals before. I have also had to explain tough decisions to clubs. Personal qualities. You want to make sure each dollar has its best utility.
  2. Max- I do think my . I served on the Pennsylvania County Dutch council as Treasurer. It is a lot like Penn Student Government in terms of bureaucracy. I was also my class president in high school
  1. Kyle- What are your time commitments?
  1. Max- 5.5 CU and ski team
  2. Lawrence- I can make it friday, sat, and sunday. I can work around stuff. I will not be on board for Dems next semester
  1. Brian- How will this affect your role on SL?
  1. Lawrence-SL and Budget go hand in hand. Extracurriculars is a big part of student life and budget gives money to these clubs.
  2. Max- I have worked on coffee cup sleeves and career service headshots, they deal with budget
  1. Sam S- Being your director, how will it affect projects?
  1. Max- I think I will be able to complete projects. I would drop Communications
  2. Lawrence- I think those would help the Budget committee.
  1. Max Grove is elected through the budget committee

  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  1. Backpack Policy in Van Pelt Library
  1. Mr. Caputo the Library manager wants to make the backpack policy stricter. I brought up the concerns that we brought up last time. The policy will not be put into place in Nov.1 It will start next semester. Laying out this plan would not be perfect and that we need to test things out. Need to see when traffic is high. During these high traffic times, maybe they would randomly pick out someone. There are going to be 4 new work study jobs- working on Van pelt experience. He wants to start an advisory board for Van Pelt specifically. Looking for new members. Mr. Caputo will come to our next GBM to answer any questions we have. We can give him suggestions too.
  2. Calvary- I saw the alarm go off when students leave with a book, so what is the purpose of getting bags checked?
  1. Elena-A lot of people rip of barcodes and it becomes easier to do that. The reasoning is that if people rip them off they will be caught.
  1. Brian- What was the initial purpose of the project?
  1. Elena-The initial purpose was to eliminate bag checks. Now it is to make it as efficient for everyone.
  1. Justin- What is the rate of people of getting caught? Maybe we can send out a survey
  1. Elena-I think he is adamant about this and he can provide more details. I don't think a survey is bad idea
  1. Calvary- Can someone post in each class page before he comes?         
  1. Elena-Yes we can do that. I will draw something up
  1. Kaylee- If you told him that the guards do not check the backpacks, that would have been another way to approach this?
  1. Elena-I do agree that they are not checking backpacks that's why we need this policy.
  1. Simon- How will we do screening for this process?
  1. Elena-It is nothing like the airport. Maybe you can just mention it to the guards
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Recycling Bins in Van Pelt Library
  1. Dante-There are not that many Bins in the rooms in Van Pelt and he has ordered bins.
  1. Kyle- how many did he order?
  1. Dante-26 bins
  1. Nile- Did he mention how they are going to be used?
  1. Dante-I imagine they would be the same as trash cans.
  1. Social Justice
  1. Project Updates
  1. Social Justice Scholars Program
  1. This is similar to. This is supposed to include extracurriculars, internships. This will definitely happen. Right now it is at the stage where the heads of Civic house will be meeting with Dean Jackson. You can be a part of both programs.
  1. Lawrence- differences
  1. Justin-More focus on speakers
  1. Jay- Was there anyway thing could have been integrated into the the Civic Scholars Programs?
  1. Justin-No. There were too many differences.
  1. Lawrence- Matriculating into the program. Does it have influence for students wanting Masters?
  1. Justin-By association yes, but we would need to talk more on that
  1. Pennvolvement
  1. We met with Penn Labs to fix this website. There are many glitches that still need to be resolved. For the last few months, we have been working on this and trying to get this project completed. We are meeting with the larger organizations and trying to help them through the process. We are planning on touching base with Penn Labs and then marketing it from there. One other thing is that we are looking for all sources for community service.
  1. UA/Penn Leads the Vote Civic Engagement Guide
  1. People have many questions about the voting process such as polling place etc. Also what races are taking place and where to find out information about candidates. I hope to have to find out all the information and the guide by this weekend. I will most likely be reaching out to Michael, and i will be sending you a rough draft.
  1. Sam I- I think this is great. People get confused about his. Have you talked to college houses so that everyone can get a hold of this. I just want to make sure that everyone has this information
  1. Tunmise-I was going to talk to kat about all school
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. “Even at Penn” Video Series
  1. Natasha and Jordan-We had this idea where the DP published that the College House Executive had made a racist comment. This happens in other places on campus as well. We want to create a video series awareness campaign. We just want to make sure that people know that these things are happening. We want to dispel the notion and show that is something that also happens here at the IVY league. We think this would be a great way to unify the communities at Penn. We brought this up to other organizations. SOUL loved it UMC and ASSP. we are thinking of going forward with this. The narratives will be told from organizations and not from us. We plan to use equipment from Weigle Commons and shoot videos over a three day period.
  2. Questions
  1. Kat- This is a really interesting project. I don't think we should be putting on the DP’s website. If you need money for URL, we can get money for that. I think you should reach out to all of 5B in terms of organizations. We don't want to take away from content- we can look at cinema study students for their expertise. There is a purpose to raising negative issues. Maybe at the end you could put in at the end put it in positive note that these are the resources that you can go to.
  1. When we spoke to SOUL, there were people that wanted to go on camera.
  1. Kat- I don't think we should be using names of students. We don't want the UA to be implicated. I would say anonymity with regards to who is saying
  1. Calvary- How much videos do you want to make? Maybe every week you could have different topics so you could have about different communities and minority groups
  2. Brian- I would be wary of creating a forum because of what some people would write in it. I think text and a few interesting pictures would be very good. You could have a segment of very powerful videos. One could be background of events. 2 Groups you can reach out to. 3. goals for the future.
  3. Gabbi- A lot of my concerns were addressed. How connected would the article would be to this?
  1. This really got us thinking about this idea, so that's why we put it. It would not be tied to the article though.
  1. Jason- Social media
  1. Yes we would work with the communications team
  1. Lawrence- Maybe have voice actors do it. Or having students read it.
  2. Max- People would be willing to do their own faces but other people could do it too.
  3. Krone- Social media could do it too. Work with any minority group. Use connections from clubs that you have talked to. Documentary series but not really having those people speaking but having others speak their lines. Weekly thing is a huge undertaking I would stick to something smaller. The theme thing was great.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. IFC New Member Education
  1. I met with IFC and emailed them and tried to get 100% for MARS. To try and get more fraternities to send more members to the education portion the percentage of fraternity attendance will be posted on the DP and everyone will know. This will create more education.
  2. Questions:
  1. Calvary- I don't get why it can’t be 100% because I know people from MARS and this is their job and they love to educate people.
  1. I have met with Jeremy and Sam-they said that when they met presidents they didn't think that it was possible to get everyone together.
  1. Kat- I understand IFC’s apprehension. I think 100% is really hard to meet maybe we can do 95%. Are the DP looped in on this? They are going to roll this out through the DP.
  1. Yes the IFC will take the lead in getting it to the DP. Fraternity reaccreditation is tied directly to adhering to IFC policies. So everything has to be met even if it says 100%.
  1. Dante- Will the IFC have any authority of enforcing and punishing?
  1. Sam- The fraternities will be affected through reaccreditation process.
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  1. Meeting With Director of OFSL
  1. It is Office of Fraternity and Student life. We talked about the reaccreditation processes. In case some members can't go to the event, this will protect them from getting kicked off campus. We also talked about on campus registered parties. We also talked about collaborations
  2. Krone- was this in regards to things like fanfest
  1. Yup
  1. Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience (TABLED UNTIL NEXT GBM)
  1. External Seats
  1. Student Financial Services Advisory Board
  1. This past meeting we talked about FAFSA, so please fill this out. There were anonymous letters written to the director and the DP wants to write an article on this. The graduate and undergraduates split onto their sub committee. Penn First is holding “Financial Aid is Scary” on October 26th at 5pm in JMHH 260.
  1. Kat- FAFSA is moving up earlier. But maybe we should bring up again trying to set the tuition during a time when students are on campus. And having SFRS trying to have aid calculated earlier
  1. Sam S- The quicker you fill it out the better. If you hand in your forms by winter, you could have your aid before the summer session.
  1. Jay- Do we know about the article?
  1. Nope
  1. Elena- The deadline to fill out the FAFSA?
  1. The deadline is still the same
  1. Residential Services Advisory Board
  1. There was a guest presentation from students wanted to pilot Instant Light Automation, which would work to lower energy costs. We also talked about adding a room retention option to the occupancy agreement. Jon Eckman has also been in talks with J2, the marketing company for Penn Residential services.
  2. Questions
  1. Krone- You want to select the same room?
  1. Yes that is what they mean
  1. Krone- Very happy about the 360 view
  1. Dining Services Advisory Board
  1. The student group met. The meatless monday is gaining a lot of traction. Open to marketing suggestions. Looking for endorsements from student groups. If you also know any student athletes please let me know. I tried to raise the UA’s concerns but the student group is in favor of what the admins proposed. The next meeting, we will prioritize UA’s proposals. Allergies, Dining Dollar expansion, Mondays
  2. Sam S- I am surprised that the students are in favor of the admins. SFRS has emergency funding
  1. Kat- we can put you in contact with them
  1. Ian- I am very passionate about the university and I don't think the university should be keeping the swipes
  1. Lawrence- You can write a resolution or if you want to go through the dining board I can bring it up.
  1. Max- Would the meatless mondays be in all dining halls?
  1. Yes
  1. Sam S- Isn't it only the main meal?
  1. That is my understanding of it as well. But only from lunch.
  1. Elena- I am personally vegetarian so it is very difficult. I think having the main dish vegetarian is super useful
  1. Legal Services (TABLED UNTIL NEXT GBM)
  1. Communications