Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: A message from the Outgoing JHPDA Officers – The Academic Year in Review
We have been honored to serve as your JHPDA Officers over the past year. We've had an amazing year of programming, which started in September with two weeks of events, discounts, and swag in honor of National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW). Building from that start, our fabulous Committees have hosted over 60 events - including professional development, networking, social, and internationally-themed events on and off campus.
We emphasize that none of this year's accomplishments would have been possible without the hard work of all Executive Board members - but more notably the Committee Chairs and their members.
It has been a pleasure serving the postdoctoral community. Congratulations to the new 2015-2016 JHPDA Executive Board! We're looking forward to your continued service to the Hopkins postdoctoral community and are confident that the organization is in good hands. Corinne Pettigrew, Casey Rebholz, Pankhuri Vyas, Blythe Shepard, and Jeff Norris. [to read the full message, click here]
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Diversity Journal Club and Town Hall Meeting, Tue., June 16th
Please join us in our second Diversity Journal Club and Town Hall Meeting. The first half of the meeting will be a discussion lead by the featured speaker to promote awareness on the topic. The second half will be a topic lead and open forum to discuss challenges that individuals of diverse backgrounds may face in the sciences pertaining to the topic.
Topic: Black Lives Matter and the Baltimore Uprising
When: Tuesday, June 16 2015, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m
Where: Tilghman Auditorium
JHPDA Shuttle Social, Thu., June 18th
The JHPDA Socials Committee invites you to the June Shuttle Social! Look for the yellow JHPDA balloon to find your fellow postdocs on-site.
When: Thursday, 6/18, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Nandos peri peri, 1300 Fleet street
Shuttle transportation: Charm city circulator, green line stop 107
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Show me the money: Employment and Compensation: Catherine Morrison, JD, Wed., June 24th
Show me the Money: Employment and Compensation Negotiations by Catherine Morrison, JD
Date: Wed, June 24, 2015
Time: 12:00 pm
Location: Wood Basic Science Auditorium
For more information, click here
Speed Dating Event, Thu., June 25nd
The socials committee is organizing a speed dating event. Sign-up here before June 22nd.
Tickets $5, free for the first 10 people who sign up.
Date: Thu, June 25, 2015
Time: 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Location: Greenhouse Cafe
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Summer Intersession Intensive Course
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday*, Friday, July 13, 14, 16*, 17, 12:00 - 3:00 pm. Click here to register
- Developing a powerful CV
- Tuesday, August 4, 2015 from 12:00 - 2:00 pm, click here to register
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here or here)
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Academia careers beyond the postdoc: A panel discussion with successful scientists (6/15; details)
- Hopkins Biotech Network (HBN Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program - “Developing Your Idea & Evaluating Feasibility” (6/18; details)
- TRC seminar discussing the importance of community involvement in conducting clinical research (6/24; details)
- Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - Program overview here
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Program overview here; Teaching Academy (applications due 8/01; apply here)
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp 7/09 - 7/10
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers several graduate certificate programs and online programs in education. Details here
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (9/28 - 10/02; deadline 6/19; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
Science and Community Outreach events
- Baltimore Green Works (volunteer)
- AAAS STEM Volunteer Program (link; contact email@example.com)
- Community outreach: Girl Scouts troop at the Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women is looking for adult volunteers. More information here, volunteering form here
- Several opportunities at Henderson-Hopkins School (more info)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) posted 6/08)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.