Allusions in Haroun and the Sea of Stories
While it is a young adult fantasy, Rushdie’s novel is extremely rich with all kinds of allusions (to history, to works of literature, to pop culture, etc.). The more you know, the more you find interesting!
TASK → 1) Research a topic that is ALLUDED to in the novel Haroun and the Sea of Stories.
2) With a partner, create a PowerPoint or GoogleSlides presentation of your findings.
On the day your topic is due, your mission is:
TEACH your classmates about your topic
Presentation Requirements (5 slides TOTAL)
Introduction (5 pts):
Definition of the topic (10 pts):
What is the significance of the topic? (10 pts):
What to remember about this topic (5 pts):
Works Cited (5 pts):
Presentation skills (10 pts):
Being a good partner (5 pts):
My allusion topic is _____________________________________________________________
My presentation date is: ____________________________
My partner is: _____________________________________
and their HSPS gmail is: ______________________________________
1) Find out enough about your assigned topic to speak for 2 minutes in a presentation about the topic. You need to be clear and concise when you explain enough information about your topic so that the rest of us have a clear and thorough understanding of the key ideas.
2) Ensure that the content (facts, ideas, organization) of the presentation is sophisticated, not just a regurgitation of the information you found. Think about what you’ve read and be able to explain the topic in your own words. (Don’t just copy and paste! Don’t use a word you can’t define!)
3) Use color, bolding, underlining, photos, etc. to make key ideas stand out. The easier it is to read, the more likely your classmates will understand it! No big blocks of text!!
4) When you are presenting, DO NOT read directly from your slide or face the board.
5) You are strongly advised to use reference works such as encyclopedias (print or online) as they have already condensed large topics into brief, understandable explanations of the key ideas. DO NOT USE WIKIPEDIA as you cannot be sure whether the information found there is correct.
Each topic will be presented on a day when our novel alludes to that person/idea/work of literature, so it is extremely important that you are ready and in class when it is time to enlighten us!
TOPICS TO CHOOSE FROM: