Records Requests

Report Request Form

What kind of information can I get with a Public Records Request?

M.G.L. Chapter 4, Section 6 is the law that governs public records. The law identifies several areas of information that is not public. Information that does not fall into one of these categories is likely public, and the police department will release it.

What kind of information will not be released?

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 4, Section 6, Clause 26 – Exemptions from the Public Records Act.

Data exempted from disclosure by statutes:

Information related solely to internal personnel rules and practices of the government unit, provided however, that such records shall be withheld only to the extent that proper performance of necessary governmental functions requires such withholding Notebooks and other materials prepared by an employee which are personal to him and not maintained as part of the files of the governmental unit.

Identities of victims, witnesses, reporting parties or informants

Inter-agency or intra-agency memoranda or letters relating to policy positions being developed by the agency; but this sub clause shall not apply to reasonably completed factual studies or reports on which the development of such policy positions has been or may be based.

Investigatory materials necessarily compiled out of the public view by law enforcement or other investigatory officials the disclosure of which materials would probably so prejudice the possibility of effective law enforcement that such disclosure would not be in the public interest.

Personnel and medical files or information; also any other materials or data relating to a specifically named individual, the disclosure of which may constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.

Investigative materials, including reports where court action is not yet completed. This includes motor vehicle citations where criminal charges are pending.

The names and addresses of any persons contained in, or referred to in, any applications for any licenses to carry or possess firearms issued pursuant to chapter one hundred and forty or any firearms identification cards issued pursuant to said chapter one hundred and forty and the names and addresses on sales or transfers of any firearms, rifles, shotguns, or machine guns or ammunition therefore, as defined in said chapter one hundred and forty and the names and addresses on said licenses or cards.

Questions and answers, scoring keys and sheets, and other materials used to develop, administer or score a test, examination or assessment instrument; provided, however, that such materials are used to administer another examination.

Trade secrets.

Contract proposals and bids.

Appraisals of real property.

What If I am denied information I believe I am entitled to?

The first step is to contact the Chief of Police at 508-763-4017. The second step, if you still believe you have been denied public information, is to contact the Secretary of the Public Records for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at 617-727-2832.

How do I request a record?

The Freetown Police department can provide copies of official records to the public during normal business hours (8:00AM – 4:00PM, Monday through Friday). Records may be requested in person or via mail.


Report Request Form

NOTE: The information you provide will assist us in searching for the record you request. Your request itself is a public record and can be released pursuant to the Massachusetts' Public Records Act.